Farewell, 64G 3G, it was fun...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rworne, Jan 28, 2011.

1. rworne macrumors 6502

A couple of days ago I hopped in the car and checked my email on my iPad. Fired off a quick response to a support issue for one of my apps, then put the device on the seat next to me.

30 or so minutes later, I got home. Picked up the iPad and tapped the home button. Nothing. Hmm.. it *was* fully charged when I left. Tried to shut down, no response. Tried to put it in recovery mode, still a dead screen.

Brought it to my computer and sure enough, nothing - didn't even recognize the iPad was connected.

I had just enough time to make it to the local Apple Store. I had to exchange my "launch" 3G a few days after getting it due to locking up while playing videos and I knew they had a diagnostic tool to check them out. They had no more luck than I did and replaced it on the spot. So far, so good.

What surprised me was the repair cost. Apple picked up the tab since all 3G units are still under warranty, but the out of warranty replacement on a 64 3G iPad is a whopping $419.00.:eek: That's flat-rate no matter what the problem may be, aside from performing a battery replacement.

I have to say I'll miss the old one. Used every day and carried everywhere in the Apple case. We spent lots of quality time together on cross-country flights. When pulled out of the case for the last time, it looked as if it were brand new - aside from the slight ring'o'crud where the case slightly covered the display. The glass was still pristine.

So now the new one's in service but I now worry about the longevity of these units. It probably will not prevent me from picking up one of the new ones that likely will be released in a short while.:D

2. Piggie, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011

Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

How can it be out of warranty?

You have a 1 year warranty from Apple and it can't be a year old yet.

3. utl768 macrumors 6502

buy applecare if ur so concerned

4. baummer macrumors 6502a

Do you have AppleCare? If so, you're covered for the 1 year product warranty PLUS an additional year (when AppleCare kicks in). I wouldn't worry too much. Given Apple's hardware issues the past couple of years, I strongly recommend AppleCare.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

He didn't say it was out of warranty, in fact he said it was still under warranty and Apple picked up the cost

He was just commenting on the cost for out of warranty replacement should it occur

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Ah. I misread the post. Glad it's covered.

7. rworne thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, the repair cost was surprising. Then again, you can also consider it a replacement warranty with a 50% deductible. The $90 Applecare is looking pretty good.

8. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Is it transferable? Say if my iPad died within the second year of AppleCare and they gave me a refurbished replacement?

9. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I assume you meant to say Plus 2 additional years for a total of 3 years.

Yes it is.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If it isn't you can get the difference credited back.

11. Built macrumors 68020

There is not an iPad out there that is outside its original one-year Apple warranty yet.

How would the "genius" know what the "flat-rate" repair cost is, unless he was quoting the cost for a "user-damaged" iPad repair.

12. quetzalcoatl macrumors member

Becuase every company charges a cost for repairs and then writes them off when they do warranty work.

13. rworne thread starter macrumors 6502

Because the repair cost was printed directly on my invoice?

I have it right here:

Diagnosis:
    Issue Verified: Yes
    Known Liquid Damage: No
    Issue: iPad will not power on after being plugged into AC power for more than 10 minutes with Apple adapter and cable. Cx reports iPad was almost full battery charge when it would simply not power back on.
    Steps to reproduce: Observed
    Proposed Solution: Replace ipad under warranty (repeat repair)
    Cosmetic Condition: Good

Repair Estimate:
    Item Number 661-5603, iPad Wi-Fi 3G, 64GB Price: $419.00

Parts and service (same as above) $419.00

Amount due: $0.00

I asked the genius about the repair cost, and he told me that this was the standard out of warranty repair cost.

14. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I assume you are not in the UK ?

I would strongly argue that despite what Apple might like to think, or tell you, they do have to offer longer than 1 year warranty on an iPad in the UK if the unit has no signs of damage/wear and it stops working.

15. rworne thread starter macrumors 6502

This is the EU's required 2-year warranty? It sounds really nice, but there's no chance of anything like that happening on this side of the pond.

16. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Well, we don't actually have that, but there is something in place for up to 6 years warranty.

It really depends on the item.

We of course have the normal 1 year warranty and that's what shops will tell you is all you get. However what the rules say, and what stores will not tell you is that any item purchased much last what would be considered a "reasonable amount of time."

This of course, is open to interpretation and how much fuss you as a consumer make, and they will try and fob you off if you don't stick to your guns.

Basically, how long would a reasonable person expect the item in question to last before it went wrong due to wear and tear etc ?

This will depend on the item in question, the price you paid, where the item is in the marketplace, in other words is it an ultra cheap model or a premium brand model etc etc....

For example, a 14" crt TV make by the cheapest company you could find for say $50 would not be expected to last as long as a $3000 plasma TV make by a high end company like Pioneer for example.

Your washing machine would not be expected to break after 13 months of normal use as one would expect a washing machine to naturally last longer than that.

The more you pay and the more premium the device the better chance you have of arguing your case.

Something like an iPad, is, without question a very premium device, made by a very high end quality company. And no normal person would feel it's acceptable for such a device to just "go wrong through natural causes" after 13 or 18 months.

That would not be expected given the brand/quality and not deemed acceptable. Yes, you may have to stick to your guns and to be told for starters that it's past 1 year so touch luck, and you may have to tell them you are willing to take this further, but you will probably find it will be sorted as I say it's down to what should be an accepted lifespan.

17. pv1191 macrumors member

Some people poo poo the applecare. I have had great service when needed. Even when I replaced my Gen2 Ipod Touch due to battery issues. They had no 16g's so they replaced it with the newest 32G.....:)

18. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Actually I struggle to see the maths behind iPad Apple Care in the UK. To me it seems too expensive at virtually £90 for only 1 more year.

So you buy an iPad for £439 and have it a year, then pay £90 for 1 more years cover for your then 1 year old iPad.

How about sell your 1 year old iPad for £359 to someone else, and put £90 with this money you get and buy a brand new iPad.
    You end up spending the same amount, but now have a brand new device with another years warranty and a crisp, fresh new battery, and when you come to sell this iPad it will be a year younger than you otherwise would of had if you had gone down the Apple Care route.

And I'm not even going down the, in the UK they would have to sort it out even if it was just over a year old anyway route.

19. shadowbird423 macrumors regular

shadowbird423

Did you try restoring it from DFU mode? That works 99.9% of the time, for future reference.

20. geko29 macrumors 6502

That's a bad assumption, since then he would be wrong:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/APP_IPAD?mco=MTcyMTgwNzg

21. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

What happens if it really is completely dead and the iPad us JBed?

I have always assumed that if something happens to my iPad, thinking that it would still work, but maybe something go out on it, like Bluetooth, display, speakers, wifi, etc., that I would get a chance to retire it before sending in the unit for repair.

But what if it is DEAD! If Apple can't boot it up, replaces it, will they find out later it was JBed? Any possible consequences then?

22. Zcott macrumors 68020

No.

23. shadowbird423 macrumors regular

shadowbird423

It really depends. I would think some Apple reps would look the other way and some wouldn't...
    If that ever happens to you, just try your luck.
    I've jail broken scores of iDevices (every model except the iPhone 4 and the 4th Gen iPod Touch) and can say that it is highly unlikely.

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If it is dead, Apple won't be able to tell it was jailbroken, because the only way to tell if it's jailbroken is to start it up and see that the OS has been modified. Even if an apparently dead iDevice got resurrected somehow, the process required to resurrect it would wipe all traces of the jailbreak.