Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

citycentral821

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2019
I use Asus 18W USB-C Fast Charging bricks with the Apple Type C to Lightning cable, along with 10w iPad bricks and a 24W Turbo car charger for my XR. It charges it super fast and I highly recommend them to everyone. I even use a 10' lightning cable with my iPad brick and it charges just as fast!

Reactions: I7guy and ruslan120

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I use the Apple USB-C brick (30w I think..) with lightning cable to fast-charge my iPad Pro. The iPad brick that comes with the iPad Pro is good for fast charging any supported iPhone.

UKapple73

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
I have always used the iPad's brick. Always faster.
I always used to use the iPad charger. But my iPhone 7 Plus battery went down to 84% after only 1 year. So I figured the extra oomph was killing the battery faster.
I now have a Xs max and mostly charge with 5w charger. Battery is 98% after 11 months. Same usage.
Guess that’s one of the reasons Apple only ship with the 5w, protecting batteries

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Unless you phone runs out of power before your day does, I see no advantage to fast charging. There is always a payback for anything good and in this case, I think the battery will deteriorate quicker if fast charged all the time.

My iPhone 8+ was still at 100% after over a year as is my MAX since introduction. Both were slow charged via wireless. Phone never even gets warm while charging which makes for a happy battery!:)

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
Unless you phone runs out of power before your day does, I see no advantage to fast charging. There is always a payback for anything good and in this case, I think the battery will deteriorate quicker if fast charged all the time.

My iPhone 8+ was still at 100% after over a year as is my MAX since introduction. Both were slow charged via wireless. Phone never even gets warm while charging which makes for a happy battery!:)

Pretty much this. I just charge overnight, imagine that.

I use wireless charging, and am actually a bit disappointed it is 7.5W instead of 5W. When the Belkin/Mophie wireless chargers originally came out in 2017 they were limited to 5W but then I think Apple "unlocked" 7.5W or something so now that's what they use.

The slower the charge, the less the heat, the better the battery life long term. Still at 100% capacity on my 6 month old Xs, actual mAH north of design mAH confirmed by Coconut Battery just today.

No way would I be fast charging a phone anymore than absolutely necessary, and definitely not overnight. I could see doing it in an emergency situation, but even then, how often is it really an emergency? I'd probably temper my phone use throughout the day (or keep it hooked to a powerbank or on a charger if I was sitting at work at my desk or something) if I was a power user and knew I might need extra juice later that evening, so at least for me I can't even really fathom a case where I would ever need a fast charge even during the day.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Agreed. I only use it when in urgent situations though.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
I always used to use the iPad charger. But my iPhone 7 Plus battery went down to 84% after only 1 year. So I figured the extra oomph was killing the battery faster.
I now have a Xs max and mostly charge with 5w charger. Battery is 98% after 11 months. Same usage.
Guess that’s one of the reasons Apple only ship with the 5w, protecting batteries

Not quite. You’re probably just having to charge your phone less. My 7 plus was at 89% with a year (more than a cycle a day) and my launch iPhone XR which I exclusively fast charge is at 96%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.