Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spaceboots06

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
The Rotten Apple
Did a bit of Google searching but couldn't really find anything. I'm currently taking diet pills and am experiencing a faster than normal heart rate. I read that a faster heart rate while taking them is normal, but is it safe? I know if your heart rate is fast enough it will explode. I'm not exactly afraid of that but more worried about my heart becoming "tired."

Thanks.

Edit: I plan on returning these pills. I love them but I think they're very unhealthy.

SanderH

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2009
Belgium
Diet pills are absolutely useless. Just another stupid product by these huge companies who earn billions of dollars by selling crap.

In order to get healthy, there are only three (four) things you need:
- 5/6 small meals a day with lots of proteins
- Exercise
- Enough sleep
(- Motivation -> goalsetting )

spaceboots06

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
The Rotten Apple
Yeah, with an audible *BOOM*!
I think you've seen too many movies. ;)

No, it's probably not safe. ********s of caffeine and/or ephedrine aren't good for you (or your combustible muscle).

All jokes aside, I really do think your heart can explode! And then blood flies all over the place and the walls are red and all that stuff.

But really, don't people who OD on cocaine have their heart explode?

Diet pills are absolutely useless. Just another stupid product by these huge companies who earn billions of dollars by selling crap.

In order to get healthy, there are only three (four) things you need:
- 5/6 small meals a day with lots of proteins
- Exercise
- Enough sleep
(- Motivation -> goalsetting )

I'm doing 5 small meals a day with a lot of chicken breast. I'm exercising like you wouldn't believe it! Sleep not so much. :eek: Also I'm taking in a lot of water instead of sodas and stuff like that. It supposedly will make a big difference in the long run.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
All jokes aside, I really do think your heart can explode! And then blood flies all over the place and the walls are red and all that stuff.

No. No they don't. Explosion would indicate an extreme pressure change, which doesn't happen. The heart just gives out and dies. Being unable to pump blood, the human follows suit shortly thereafter.

pelicanflip

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2009
NYC
Some diet pills have been known to cause a negative reaction of increased heart rate.

If it's just a little bit faster than usual, I wouldn't worry too bad. If it's a significant increase, you might have a heart attack.

Just eat properly and exercise, and you should be fine. Diet pills shouldn't be taken just to lose weight, they should only be used in cases of severe obesity. Too many negative side effects to list.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

All jokes aside....... No.

I'm doing 5 small meals a day with a lot of chicken breast. I'm exercising like you wouldn't believe it! Sleep not so much. :eek: Also I'm taking in a lot of water instead of sodas and stuff like that. It supposedly will make a big difference in the long run.

It will only make a difference if you decide to change your lifestyle after you've reached your goal. If you are like: "Yay, I lost all that weight. Now I can finally drink soda and eat at In & Out again," you will gain it all back. It will be all for naught, and will result in making yourself even more unhealthy than you were before the weight loss.

Temporary diets do not work. Permanent lifestyle changes do.

Oh, and stop taking those stupid pills. Seriously.

BPresley321

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
All jokes aside....... No.

It will only make a difference if you decide to change your lifestyle after you've reached your goal. If you are like: "Yay, I lost all that weight. Now I can finally drink soda and eat at In & Out again," you will gain it all back. It will be all for naught, and will result in making yourself even more unhealthy than you were before the weight loss.

Temporary diets do not work. Permanent lifestyle changes do.

Oh, and stop taking those stupid pills. Seriously.

Agreed. Diet, exercise, and attitude!

AngryApple

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2008
My heart races all the time. Doctors never seem to care, so I don't worry. If I were you, I would stop taking those pills. ;)

It's never happened to me or anyone I've known. A vessel could rupture, though.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
My couch potato friends have always told me that you are only allowed so many heart beats in a lifetime. I've run for exercise for half my life--over 28 years--so I think I may have already used up all those beats. But seriously, I don't think I would worry about the faster heartbeat--more importantly--I'd want to find the best way to lose weight and keep it off--yes easier said then done, I know--so good luck with however you do get your weight off--but give the exercise route a try as well.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
My heart races all the time. Doctors never seem to care, so I don't worry. If I were you, I would stop taking those pills. ;)

It's never happened to me or anyone I've known. A vessel could rupture, though.

Maybe you need new doctors.

Or maybe you should disclose your cocaine use to them, and then let them decide if your heart racing is normal.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
First - asking health advice on MacRumors is not too smart. Go see your doctor.
Second - diet pills can be dangerous.

calories in - calories out = net weight change

Suppose you put 10 gallons of gas in your car in the AM. You drive around and only burn up 8 gallons of gas...car will weigh more at the end of the day. If you drive around and burn up 12 gallons of gas, the car will weigh less than at the start of the day.

Diet pill which purport to "boost metabolism" are akin to driving your car at 65 miles/ hour in second gear - RPM's will be in the red zone. Not safe for a car, and not safe for a human.

spaceboots06

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
The Rotten Apple
Well I guess saying I'm taking a diet pill doesn't justify what I'm doing exactly. I'm taking this diet pill and watching what I eat. I'm also burning ~1000 calories a day on cardio machines.

But, I think I'm going to call my doctor and see what she has to say. I most certainly am going to bring these pills back to GNC though because I called them and they'll refund my money even though I took around 15 already.

Thanks for the replies guys and gals.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
My couch potato friends have always told me that you are only allowed so many heart beats in a lifetime. I've run for exercise for half my life--over 28 years--so I think I may have already used up all those beats.

This is a widely accepted theory - that each mammal has a finite amount of maximum heart beats. Mice go like the clappers, which is one reason why they die sooner. Elephants go slower, so they hang around for a while (despite their size and the requisite blood pressure - amazing).

The idea of exercise is that the relatively small amount of time with an high heart rate is vastly compensated for by the overall reduction in your resting heart rate - your heart is a muscle, exercising makes it stronger and when it's stronger it doesn't have to work as hard to pump the same amount of blood. So sock that knowledge right back at them with their high resting heart rates.

I'm currently taking diet pills and am experiencing a faster than normal heart rate. I read that a faster heart rate while taking them is normal, but is it safe? I know if your heart rate is fast enough it will explode.

Diet pills? What are you thinking. There's no short cuts. I'd recommend reading 'Bad Science' by by Ben Goldacre; it sounds like you're an intelligent person buying into an irrational idea. I'm pretty sure he discusses diet pills actually, but its been a while since I read it.

For clarity; no, your heart will not explode if it beats too fast.

AppleMatt

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Burn more calories than you consume (ie. EAT LESS than your body needs). That's only thing that will make you lose weight.
After all, when was the last time you saw a fat person in a POW camp? :D

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada

sounds like you're doing alot of right things so drop the pills. they increase your HR to burn more calories. Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll eventually get there.

And do get lots of sleep after working out. Just don't push yourself - my rule is if I feel tired, I go to bed. A good sleep will help burn calories too.

Cheers,
Keebler

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Your best plan would probably be to stop spending money on the pills and spend it on a consult with a real nutritionist, who will show you how to develop healthy meals with proper amounts of carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins and minerals, you can adjust the size of these meals to reflect your daily calorie consumption and the rate at which you want to lose weight. Once you've lost the weight you want to lose, you continue to eat the same thing in slightly higher quantities.

Diets almost never work because nobody can stick to having a chicken breast, two sticks of celery and a non-fat yogurt for lunch every day. You'll lose weight, and then go back to the way you were eating before and gain it back.

Low carb diets, huge amounts of protein, pills, juices or crazy fad diets may work in some cases but they're not healthy and you don't change what you were doing wrong in the first place that made you gain weight. You need it all: carbohydrates, preferably from whole grains, whole fruits and other lightly-processed sources, proteins, preferably from lean meats, beans and legumes, and fats, preferably from nuts, seeds and vegetable oils. Milk and eggs are good too.

To be healthy in the long term a balanced diet is important, and starting with that is a good step to losing weight and something that you can continue once you've reached your goal. I've seen too many people try stupid ways of losing weight and just had to weigh in (;)) on the matter. Also: don't snack.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
Well I guess saying I'm taking a diet pill doesn't justify what I'm doing exactly. I'm taking this diet pill and watching what I eat. I'm also burning ~1000 calories a day on cardio machines.

FYI you're probably not burning near that much. Most cardio machines over-report calories burned by quite a bit. Not trying to bring you down -- kudos for the effort -- just don't get discouraged if the machines mislead you.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
FYI you're probably not burning near that much. Most cardio machines over-report calories burned by quite a bit. Not trying to bring you down -- kudos for the effort -- just don't get discouraged if the machines mislead you.

They might be calculating how much you'll burn as a result of that exercise in total (even after you're done), no?

spaceboots06

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
The Rotten Apple

Yeah, I sort of took that into consideration. I leave the default weight on, 150 lbs, even though I'm waay above that.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
First - asking health advice on MacRumors is not too smart. Go see your doctor.

If you think this is bad, you should see some of the MMA, kickboxing and grappling forums.

"Dude, I got choked out last night and ever since, the left side of my face is numb and my left arm is all tingly."
"Go to ER right now!"
"Nah, I'm gonna wait until my vision's not so blurry."

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
They might be calculating how much you'll burn as a result of that exercise in total (even after you're done), no?

Cardio doesn't have much of a "burn after" effect. If anything, extended cardio reduces long-term calorie burning because it builds an efficent machine, whereas resistance training builds a powerful machine, and thus has more of a "burn after" period that lasts about 24 hours. Ideally you want a balance of both for optimal weight loss.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
If you think this is bad, you should see some of the MMA, kickboxing and grappling forums.

"Dude, I got choked out last night and ever since, the left side of my face is numb and my left arm is all tingly."
"Go to ER right now!"
"Nah, I'm gonna wait until my vision's not so blurry."

Yeah, but with all the head trauma those guys get, you expect poor decision making. But this is MacRumors, where everyone has a brain and common sense! :rolleyes:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Did a bit of Google searching but couldn't really find anything. I'm currently taking diet pills and am experiencing a faster than normal heart rate. I read that a faster heart rate while taking them is normal, but is it safe? I know if your heart rate is fast enough it will explode. I'm not exactly afraid of that but more worried about my heart becoming "tired."

Thanks.

Edit: I plan on returning these pills. I love them but I think they're very unhealthy.

exactly how fast are we talking about?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.