Fast Talk at end of Commercials

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

You know, when they get a fast talk artist who can say 1 minute of disclaimers in 10 seconds. Should be illegal or should have no legal standing when a product sold in this matter ends up in court over any kind of a product or liability issue. Let's hear it! (slowly). :)

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I don't think they'd hold up in court, simply because for anything to be legally binding, it has to be clear, concise, and readily understood.

Though I hope they don't go away. I always get a kick out of hearing them on the radio.

3. Zenithal Suspended

A lot of those disclaimers won't hold up in court.

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

It would be quite expensive to find out.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

6. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Except you could make a good argument that they were not clearly delivered so don't apply to any legal aspect of the case as far helping the company avoid liability.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

8. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

When I read your post, I read it REALLY quickly in my mind.
    Well done.:cool:

9. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

But your mind read it at a speed you could comprehend. ;)

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

The biggest kick I get from them is that they claim to help with one specific aliment and has the potential to give you 10 or 20 other ones.

11. CrickettGrrrl, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016

CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Yes, thank you, my mind is rather exceptional.

(Okay, that was snotty, but my first reply wasn't intended be.)

Suggestion is powerful and so when I glanced at your first post, I couldn't help BUT hear everything you wrote in an obnoxious, super fast voice. It's impossible to undo now.

And thankfully you're right, that I could comprehend what I read quickly --as opposed to if I actually heard it. Having spent so much time amongst Maryland drawling, I now have "slow ears" and anything at quicker than calm, normal speech creates auditory log jams.... o_O (Working in the Bahamas was hell sometimes.)

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

It's even better when the side effects are potentially worse than the problem that's being addressed.

I mean sure, arthritic knees aren't a picnic, but I'd take them over spontaneous bowel voiding and blood clots in the brain.

13. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Do you remember olestra that they started using in potato chips? Brilliant product..."may cause anal leakage."

14. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Reminds me of a medicine advertisement that may cause you to have suicidal thoughts or the urge for indiscriminate sex (something like that ;)) along with 10 other possible very serious complications, racing heart, dizzyness, hives, etc, etc.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

At some point I thought they prohibited that practice. I'm not sure if that was local to my state, or nationally, but either way, it hasn't stopped.

Oh I know, I see some of those medicine commercials and on some of them, there's a side effect of death. I'm sorry, why would I want to take that medicine if it will kill me?

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Well, to be fair, when it comes to those medications that may spur suicidal tendencies, you can't really say it's the medicine that'll kill you...

Yeah, I know. That was pretty tasteless.

...but it's still true. :mad:

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I like the ambulance chaser commercial where they say, "if you or a loved one died" you might be eligible for a part in a class action lawsuit. So if you are now a zombie you can get money!

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Speaking of strange advertisements, I've been seeing a lot of squatty potty banner ads on Macrumors recently. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just not what I'd expect from a tech site.

Though I guess it's doing its job, because now I wanna try one out.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The is the last time I say it. They ran out of onion dip.

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Stuff like that works the other way too. I remember when I first worked in Chicago (coming from a job in NYC) I felt like I was forever almost walking up the backs of people's legs because in the midwest, even in the big cities, everything was just a beat slower than on the east coast. And I was impatient in meetings, too, wishing they'd speed up the talk rate just a little bit.

... and speaking of talk rates, I've never been sure those commercials don't get doctored on to fit the disclaimer in at the end. Data transmission can be speeded up, so... is it?

21. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Urrrrggghh, slow-walkers, now that's really, really annoying! Just thinking about being stuck behind slow walkers raises my blood pressure. Or even worse, slow walkers talking really fast...

22. adamneer, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016

adamneer macrumors 6502

All summer, I've been working on revising website designs for a pharmaceutical company, so I had to read through all these types of warnings pretty often. Most of the med sites I did were pretty typical, but this one in particular - elestrin.com - had by far the worst advantage/disadvantage ratio. Amazing that a cream for minimizing menopausal hot flashes could cause "probable dementia" or even cancer. Also, it's interesting to read the difference between the warnings given to consumers versus those given to healthcare providers - elestrin.com/hcp/ - at least online, they have slightly better laws that require pretty prominent warnings on every single page.

23. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Probable dementia and that got approved? :confused:

24. adamneer macrumors 6502

Not only approved, but the "probable" wording is only used on the healthcare professionals site, where on the consumer site, dementia is just listed as a possible side effect somewhere closer to the bottom of the list. I'm not sure which is worse though, the dementia or the various forms of cancer it could potentially cause...

But then, we all know how perfect the American healthcare system is, across the board...