Faster 18W USB-C Charger Expected to Be Bundled With 2018 iPhones Might Not Be Sold Separately Initially

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 18, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Rumors suggest Apple will bundle a faster 18-watt USB-C power adapter with its 2018 iPhones, but it might not be sold separately for a while.

[​IMG]

Japanese blog Mac Otakara reports that Apple's suppliers are likely only able to manufacture enough chargers for inclusion with 2018 iPhones, suggesting that Apple may hold off on selling them as a standalone accessory until some point after the smartphones launch, although exactly when remains to be seen.

Earlier this month, photos of an alleged prototype of the new power adapter surfaced, revealing its slightly bulkier, rounder shaped plastic casing compared to the current 5W power adapter. The design in the photos is mostly consistent with CAD drawings and renders of the adapter that surfaced earlier this year.

[​IMG]

The charger would connect to iPhones with a USB-C to Lightning cable, also expected to be included in the box. At 18W, it would be able to charge compatible iPhones at least twice as fast as the 5W adapter.

MacRumors tested the iPhone X with various third-party 18W wired chargers last year, for example, and found that the device reached a 79 percent charge after one hour. With a 5W charger, the iPhone X only reached a 39 percent charge in that time. We explained our methodology in detail in that article.

Apple sells its 5W power adapter, which has a USB-A port, for $19 as a standalone product in the United States.

Article Link: Faster 18W USB-C Charger Expected to Be Bundled With 2018 iPhones Might Not Be Sold Separately Initially

2. seatton, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018

seatton macrumors 6502a

seatton

Tim will say "Coming soon to your Apple Store with our new Mac Mini, wireless charger case for our first generation AirPods, and AirPower on December 31, 2020... "

3. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

If it means fulfilling more iPhone orders, I’m all for this. Last thing I want is my order to be delayed because of production issues with the charger.

4. bbednarz macrumors 6502

bbednarz

That is super awkward looking. The usb port seems too small for the brick.

5. twistedpixel8 macrumors regular

twistedpixel8

When are we gonna get some more space grey accessories? White is sooooooo old these days with Apple and it gets dirty way too quick unless you’re OCD.

6. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502a

mcfrazieriv

Smaller port ... wider frame ... defies nature.

7. fokmik macrumors 68030

I wonder if the airpower can use this too/take advantage,or it will be limited to 7.5W?

8. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

9. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

10. scottcampbell macrumors regular

You gonna be okay?
    We're here for you through this trying time.

11. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

White accessories is apple fetish though

12. Don1985 macrumors newbie

For someone that travels about a fair bit, having white accessories makes it so easy to find at the bottom of a backpack so I’m all for them keeping this going.

Black AirPods on the other hand...

13. tridley68 macrumors 6502

tridley68

While they are at it they should also include a set of air pods with the new phones or at least with the 6.5 OLED X

14. Duane Martin, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018

Duane Martin macrumors 6502

Duane Martin

As opposed to what? What exactly do you think the option is? The fastest possible charging through a USB Type A is 7.5W if I am reading this right. So it has to be USB Type C to get 18W.

I learned to program computers by marking cards, ordering the stack, and then running it through a card reader. I don't feel any need to attach a card reader to my MacBook Pro. The point being technology moves on.

(Edit: others have posted that USB Type A chargers actually come in a 12W variety, like the one from Apple, my bad, which still doesn't change the fact that it won't do 18w)

15. MoreRumors? macrumors regular

MoreRumors?

It's great that this will cut down the amount of time to charge. I wonder how much they will be charging for those power adapters and it is always good to have spares around.

16. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

The 12W USB-A adapter is still available.

While I intend to get the 6.5" OLED model, it's going to be expensive enough on it's own (plus I already have AirPods).

17. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

OK now include 29W chargers with the iPad Pro please.

18. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 601

OldSchoolMacGuy

Not a big deal. If you really need one or another one, you can always buy them from the Apple store and elsewhere in the form of a USB-C charger and the Apple Lightning to USB-C cable.

19. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Agreed, though at a minimum they should update to this rumored 18W adapter, as well, which would be an improvement over the current 12W models.

20. bbednarz macrumors 6502

bbednarz

um, what?

21. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

knowing Apple they'll want $79.99 for it sold separately anyway.

22. iGeek2014 macrumors 68000

I feel Apple should’ve included the 12W kind with iPhone ages ago rather than just limiting to selling it separately or including with iPad?

23. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

:p

Seriously, I'm guessing $29.99 as that would put it between the $19.99 12W and $49.99 30W adapters.