Fastest browser for OSX?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chuckflip53, Jun 30, 2010.

1. chuckflip53 macrumors regular

I've always felt that Chrome felt more responsive and speedy. Just ftr, I am running a 13" MBP w/ a 2.4ghz C2D

EDIT: I googled the issue and found this nifty article which ran 20+ tests comparing Firefox, Opera, IE, Chrome and Safari. Unfortunately they were all tested on Win7.

SO, I decided to run a test myself on my MBP.
    The test I ran was Futuremark's Peacekeeper which, according to the website, "is a free online browser benchmark tool. With Peacekeeper it’s quick and easy to compare different browsers to find out which one offers the best performance on your PC...Peacekeeper measures your browser's performance by testing its JavaScript functionality."

Results (higher number corresponds to greater performance):
    Chrome 5.0.375.86
    Run 1 – 5418
    Run 2 – 5424
    Safari 5.0 (6533.16)
    Run 1 – 4068
    Run 2 – 4068
    Firefox 3.66
    Run 1 – 2481
    Run 2 – 2507
    Opera 10.60
    Run 1 – 4978
    Run 2 – 4978

Keep in mind that these tests were run using a C2D 2.4ghz processor so people with i5/i7s will most likely post higher results. However, using this test, Chrome clearly wins but Opera is not too far behind.

2. aslocum macrumors newbie

chrome.

but i like the new safari 5 so i use it

3. Yinmay macrumors regular

Safari 5's reader > Chrome's slight speed advantage

I love this feature. Besides, Chrome's lead diminishes and in some cases disappears the more tabs and extensions you're running.

4. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

I find chrome slower than Safari but faster than Firefox however im not a fan of Google.

5. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

doesn't Chrome hog the nvidia gpu where safari uses mainly the Intel one, making the battery last *much* longer?

6. MacKeeper-fan macrumors member

MacKeeper-fan

I think Opera is fastest. Opera is safe, secure, powerful and fully customizable, the Opera Web browser is faster and more secure than other browsers available on the market. Opera delivers robust security and a far-richer feature set than any other Web browser and it's free.

7. Kendio7 macrumors member

Yep it does, thats the reason i'm having to use Firefox atm :/

8. rasmusDoh macrumors regular

I'd like to know that too. Don't wanna lose a significant amount of battery time just because of my browser choice.

EDIT: Just thought, does this actually matter for me, when i have a 13"? They use the
    same (and only) GPU all the time, right?

9. rasmusDoh macrumors regular

Would also like to know what you think about Chrome RAM usage. The app itself doesn't take up a lot of memory, but i've noticed that each "renderer" process that up quite a bit. So do all the Chrome processes summed up actually end up using
    more memory than Safari - with a lot of tabs open in both?

10. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

No it won't have any affect on yours as it only has the on GPU.

I tried Chrome and didn't see what all the fuss is about, felt slower than Safari 5, and it does activate the Nvidia GPU so un-installed it and went back to Safari.

11. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

FireFox? darn that one is almost worse and slower then IE8 were it not for firebug. i think opera 10.6 is WAY better then both FF and safari, don't know if it plays nice with the gpu yet though.

12. bigjobby macrumors 65816

+1

I can't vouch for some of the claims but what I do know is that it is VERY quick. What I love most about Opera is that you can synch your bookmarks across devices so easily.

A very feature rich browser indeed and highly recommended.

13. discofuel macrumors 6502

14. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

I hadn't realized that IE8, Safari or Chrome were paid :S

I think it's funny when people get used to saying non-industry-labeled things are the only ones free

15. FangBianMian macrumors member

FangBianMian

Safari 5 (extensions enabled) gets no complaint from me. Love it.

16. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I like Chrome better than Firefox & Safari. I only like Safari's history...shows you the webpages :p

17. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

18. celticpride678

I'm currently using Chrome, but it has begun getting slower for me...so I might switch to Safari 5 soon.

19. toffa813 macrumors regular

I use Safari, but have tried Chrome and Firefox, and I can't tell the difference in speed between Safari and Chrome, and I think Firefox was slower (haven't used it in months, its not installed on my new MBP).

20. Baral macrumors member

Opera is by far the fastest in my personal experience (I've tried Safari 4, Safari 5, Chrome, and Firefox).

It's also the sleekest/cleanest browser out there. Love it. :D

21. BenXiaoHai macrumors member

I've just downloaded Opera after seeing all the positive reviews here. Does seem faster and sleeker. However I've got 2 questions. Being a firefox users for years, I'm accustomed to cmd # for tab switching. The current shortcut for tab switching for opera is really not to my liking. I've seen the shortcuts page, and I can see that I can assign cmd 1-9 to different functions. The default is to go to the different speed dials, and I would like to know the command for it to switch to tab 1, tab 2 etc...

Second question is, my personal bar (bookmarks) just goes missing sometimes. How do I bring it back?

22. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Chrome is my choice because the Safari address bar+search box combo sucks. It doesn't even work right in Safari 5.

On my Chrome, I have it set up so that if I type wiki Frankenstein it will automatically pull up the wikipedia article on Frankenstein. No clicking involved.
    Likewise, I have shortcuts like imdb and pirate (piratebay).

23. chuckflip53 thread starter macrumors regular

heh I don't have the option of changing from discrete to integrated so that doesn't affect me

From the responses so far, it seems that the majority of people here like Chrome and Opera so I guess I'll give Opera a try :D

24. BenXiaoHai macrumors member

Hmmm.... and also, Opera seems to activate my nvidia almost all to easily...