Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
They have been overclocked past 5.5GHz.

That is truly amazing.
shocked.jpg

That's got to be the best gaming processor.

thats probably not on air lol!

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Or OC an i7 920; they're easily clocking to 4 Ghz, even with only air cooling. I haven't read any current OC stories on 940's or 965's. Should be impressive.
Of the i7's, it offers the best bang-for-the-buck, and I went that route just in case I managed to fry it. :eek: :p

I've got it running at 4.11GHz (stable) with a Noctua cooler, and have been able to push it harder. But at higher clocks, it eventually would have some sort of problem, so I dropped it back. The W35xx parts should be capable of similar OC's, as they're nearly identical. Only the ECC function sets it apart. ;)

The 965's have been pushed in excess of 5GHz on water, but I figured the additional cash spent on the chip and cooling, would be better put to use for improving disk throughput. :D

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Of the i7's, it offers the best bang-for-the-buck, and I went that route just in case I managed to fry it. :eek: :p

I've got it running at 4.11GHz (stable) with a Noctua cooler, and have been able to push it harder. But at higher clocks, it eventually would have some sort of problem, so I dropped it back. The W35xx parts should be capable of similar OC's, as they're nearly identical. Only the ECC function sets it apart. ;)

The 965's have been pushed in excess of 5GHz on water, but I figured the additional cash spent on the chip and cooling, would be better put to use for improving disk throughput. :D

This bad boy?
noctua_nh_c12p_2_550.jpg

Sure looks kewl! (Pun semi-intended. :p )

And Oooo 5Ghz!!! Wow! That sounds soooo sweet!

So are you running OSX on your system?

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
This bad boy?
noctua_nh_c12p_2_550.jpg

How about this bad bhoy???

Personally I prefer the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme, copper edition and at 1.9Kg without fans, it's definitely a challenge for mobo manufacturers - stressful!!! :D:D

Attachments

• 3138859.jpg
    3138859.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 3138862.jpg
    3138862.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 41

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
This bad boy?

NO and NO. I decided to wait until SL before hacking. ;)

Personally I prefer the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme, copper edition and at 1.9Kg without fans, it's definitely a challenge for mobo manufacturers - stressful!!! :D:D
I like the use of all copper, but it's a tad too heavy for my taste, even with the board using additional layers.

So I went with this one. :D :p The push-pull configuration seems to do quite well. :)

Attachments

• noctua_nh_u12p_se1366_1.jpg
    noctua_nh_u12p_se1366_1.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 47

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Neat! Yeah, some coolers are so pretty I would be tempted to buy for beauty and run the system open or in an antec case.

I'm silly that way tho. Colored fans, glowing liquid, unusually shaped intricate sparkly things... OOoooOOOooo.... :)

I'm almost tempted to do that to me Mac Pro! Hehehhe MP in an Antec with heatsinks like:

thermaltake_v14_fan.jpg

Or maybe butterfly shaped with color shifting fans. :D

davewolfs

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
I've had great success with the Prolimatech Meganehalems cooler. What is nice about it is that for day to day use with office applications Photoshop you can easily cool your system with a 800RPM fan making the PC silent. If I run games I can easily crank up my fans to 1500RPM's.

Benguitar

Jan 30, 2009
*random comment*

Wow, so many of those processors look like they came straight out of Star Wars.

:p

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I'm silly that way tho. Colored fans, glowing liquid, unusually shaped intricate sparkly things... OOoooOOOooo.... :)

I'm almost tempted to do that to me Mac Pro! Hehehhe MP in an Antec with heatsinks like:
I went with a tower cooler for a reason. The P6T6 WS Revolution runs hot due to the NF200 chip. So I figured I'd need to duct the CPU exhaust out. It turns out my instinct was right, and I added a Thermalright 120mm fan duct (blue, made for the HR-01). I attached it to the pull fan, and removed the 120mm case exhaust fan. Attaching the other end to the fan location via a DIY mount made of really thin plywood (hobby shop stuff for R/C), and an aluminum fan cover with all the middle section removed. :)

Works really well. Case temps and CPU temps dropped, as the heat is no longer cycling around. :D

Quite handy device. Maybe I should pick up a couple to have on hand, as they're getting hard to find.
I've had great success with the Prolimatech Meganehalems cooler. What is nice about it is that for day to day use with office applications Photoshop you can easily cool your system with a 800RPM fan making the PC silent. If I run games I can easily crank up my fans to 1500RPM's.
I saw a really good review of that one, but came across it too late. I'm not sure, but I think it came out after I got the Noctua. :confused:

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.

Sounds like you did a nice job!

5GHz is very tempting to me! Sometimes I do a lot of thumb twittling when my old Dell Precision 670 3.2 Xeon crunches for 15-30 minutes crunching CAD/CAM data. Usually it will run out of memory by 20 minutes or so, using the /3GB switch.

Maybe I need a new i7 system for working?
:rolleyes:

And a Mini to put my ACD to use when my old G5 dies.
:)

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Sounds like you did a nice job!

5GHz is very tempting to me! Sometimes I do a lot of thumb twittling when my old Dell Precision 670 3.2 Xeon crunches for 15-30 minutes crunching CAD/CAM data. Usually it will run out of memory by 20 minutes or so, using the /3GB switch.

Maybe I need a new i7 system for working?
:rolleyes:

And a Mini to put my ACD to use when my old G5 dies.
:)
Thanks. :) Lots of research, as I really don't like dealing with RMA's. :p

My use is EDA, so I know what you mean. ;) I still wait. :eek: Just not as long. :D

Improving disk throughput helps immensely, but it can't do it all. ;) :D

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
Thanks. :) Lots of research, as I really don't like dealing with RMA's. :p

My use is EDA, so I know what you mean. ;) I still wait. :eek: Just not as long. :D

Improving disk throughput helps immensely, but it can't do it all. ;) :D

Have you considered and ANS-9010 or a Hyperdrive? I was seriously checking them out but I think they may be more hassle than what they are worth. I wish I could find the article; there was a test showing 150-175 MB writes and 300-500 MB reads!

If you don't mind me asking, what mobo and memory did you use?

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Is that this EDA, this EDA or this EDA? :D :p
Sorry about that. :eek:
im with ya mate!! i couldnt narrow it down either!
This one. :D :p
Have you considered and ANS-9010 or a Hyperdrive? I was seriously checking them out but I think they may be more hassle than what they are worth. I wish I could find the article; there was a test showing 150-175 MB writes and 300-500 MB reads!

If you don't mind me asking, what mobo and memory did you use?
No, I hadn't put any time into looking at them. If you can find the article, I'd like to take a look.

Board = ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution
Memory = OCZ Platinum (DDR3-1600); currently.

If I ever locate a W3570, I might go ahead and swap the i7-920 for it, and the OCZ for Crucial ECC.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil
Frequency is absolutely meaningless.

Yep - the ol' MegaHertz Myth.

I call complete and utter BS! :D

Clock speed (Megahertz, etc.) is one of the most meaningful specs we have. And it's probably THEE MOST meaningful within a given architecture. Anyone denying this is just uneducated and in denial of reality.

It would be about like saying that engine RPM has nothing to do with torque.

Sorry, it doesn't make sense and it's not true. :)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I call complete and utter BS! :D

Clock speed (Megahertz, etc.) is one of the most meaningful specs we have. And it's probably THEE MOST meaningful within a given architecture. Anyone denying this is just uneducated and in denial of reality.

It would be about like saying that engine RPM has nothing to do with torque.

Sorry, it doesn't make sense and it's not true. :)

with you 100% but go to ANY tech/computer store and what do they market?? faster GHz = better... *sigh*

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
with you 100% but go to ANY tech/computer store and what do they market?? faster GHz = better... *sigh*

Well, a 1.5GHz Willamette is usually smacked upside the head by a 1GHz + Pentium III....

but yes, the MHz myth isn't really a myth. It's true at the very least some of the time.

Cache, bus, cores, blah blah blah is important, but there's only so much fancy sh*t you can put in a chip. After a while you need more speed. :D

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Well, a 1.5GHz Willamette is usually smacked upside the head by a 1GHz + Pentium III....

but yes, the MHz myth isn't really a myth. It's true at the very least some of the time.

Cache, bus, cores, blah blah blah is important, but there's only so much fancy sh*t you can put in a chip. After a while you need more speed. :D

lol.. are you making a comparision of a 8+ year old chip to an even older chip? thats sad. talk about the present! haha

i actually would be quite happy if hardware manufactors decided to stop making chips and focred the software developers to refine the current software to utilise hardware better!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.