iPhone X Fastest method to Transfer 4K Video Files to Mac

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slaWter, Feb 26, 2018.

1. slaWter macrumors member

slaWter

Currently I can't find a good and fast method to transfer 4K Video files from the iPhone X to my Mac.
    The videos are recorded in 4K 30 FPS in H.264 but I have the High Efficiency option checked (for the higher frame rates).

When using Air Drop, either the iPhone before sending (shorter clips) or the Mac after receiving (longer clips) change the video file and reduce the quality. The file size is almost cut it half! That is something I really don't want.

When using Image Capture and the Lightning to USB-C cable, the transfer speeds are only on USB 2.0 levels (4-7MB/s) but I'm able to copy the actual file over.

I'd love to have the speed of AirDrop while still getting an unmodified file.

What other methods do offer that?
    Remark: Cloud services are not an option. Slow and/or expensive when travelling.

2. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

USB only then. However, your Mac needs to have USB 3.0 support.

4. irobot2090 macrumors newbie

You can use Airdrop on both devices, I always transfer photos and videos that way.

5. slaWter thread starter macrumors member

slaWter

2016 TB MacBook Pro
    --- Post Merged, Feb 26, 2018 ---
    It does. But the Lightning to USB-C cable does not appear to be fast enough for 3.0 speeds.

That only works with the Compatibility Setting enabled. Once High Efficiency is enabled, AirDrop reduces the video quality. Even if the source file is H.264 and not H.265.

6. Kram Sacul macrumors 6502

Kram Sacul

I’m not sure how it is on the Mac but on Windows you can just download the video files from the iCloud using the app. They show up in the downloads folder. H.265 and h.264 versions.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Then unluckily it is the only way to get 4K video out without using iCloud or using AirDrop which will lower quality.

8. negativzero, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018

negativzero macrumors 6502a

The transfer rate for USB-C even on the iPhone X and the new MacBooks is still only USB 2.0. This applies to all devices even the latest iPad Pro which supposedly supports 3.0.

Are you sure you're using a genuine USB-C cable??? I'm getting 30+ MB/s transfer speeds over mine.

Best method is still iCloud Photo Library if you ask me. Leave PowerNap enabled on your Mac and keep shooting on your iPhone, the pics and videos just pop up instantaneously, plus its all in original format.