Faulty 680MX Late 2012...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by john.burn, Jul 24, 2014.

1. john.burn macrumors member

Looks like my 680MX has crapped out... assuming this is more likely to be the gfx card and not the machine RAM.

Seems to be far worse once it's been on for more than about 10 mins.

Booked in for Sunday - The LCD is also 'dusty' so will need replacing too.

John.

2. john.burn thread starter macrumors member

Image attached....

Attached Files:

3. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Eesh, that looks more like your display crapping out on you. If your graphics card failed, I don't see a reason why any part of the screen would be functioning. Here is an apple forum post very similar to your issue.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3118906?tstart=0

Matt

4. john.burn thread starter macrumors member

Might be the LCD but that thread looks more like a backlight issue - this is more like a gfx card issue - it has artefacts all over...

Attached Files:

5. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Ah ok, yeah the first one looked a lot more graded. Those definitely look like a graphics issue.

6. Serban Suspended

So the Geforce now have problems after amd did years ago...
    please let us know what was the problem..yea 90% is the GPU
    You go for repair or ask for a replacement ?

7. john.burn thread starter macrumors member

I'll see what they say - it definitely is also suffering from the dust behind the sealed panel issue too so definitely 2 faults.

Have the 3 year warranty anyways.

8. john.burn thread starter macrumors member

A new LCD and Main Logic Board has been ordered. Should have some news by Thursday.

£915 cost. Have AppleCare but under UK law this would be covered anyway.

John.

9. Serban Suspended

Thank you. Keep us posted
    So not the gpu? even the mother board?

10. john.burn thread starter macrumors member

The gpu is on the main logic board on these I think. They're not replaceable on their own.

John.

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

No. Its on an MXM 3.0b card and almost any nVidia card that has UEFI support will work. The GPU supplied by Apple does have specific firmware on it, however, that you will need to see the boot screen (if that is important to you).

12. john.burn thread starter macrumors member

Ahh, ok. Well, Apple themselves don't supply just the card itself - it's contained on a new main board and not a replaceable part.

John.

13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Of course... that's Apple. :)

14. Chippy99, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014

Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

EDIT: I originally posted about UK and EU Warranty laws but it got too long and boring, so I have deleted it.

Suffice it to say, you *may* have been able to get your broken machine repaired without Applecare, but you may not.

15. john.burn thread starter macrumors member

Yup. I saw the original message you posted - I think I'd have had a good case here because a sealed LCD that has dust inside can only be a manufacturing fault or design fault... As for the graphics card I think with the numerous other graphics card recalls apple have implemented over the years it'd be fairly easy to prove / argue.

John.

16. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

You're almost certainly correct, in fact I am sure you are.

I just wanted to point out to people that you don't automatically have a bullet-proof 2-year warranty in the EU (or the UK), since many seem to think that you do.

17. john.burn thread starter macrumors member

Nightmare day with Apple in Solihull.

1) No call or email to say it was fixed. Online repair said it was.
    2) Arrived to collect iMac, stand is scratched (was noted in the inbound repair info it was perfect).
    3) Quoted 1.5 hours to replace.
    4) 1 hour later advised that it would be another 2 hours.
    5) Arrived to pick up 20 minutes after the time I was assured it would be ready... Still not ready. Another 20 minutes.
    6) Collected machine, advised it was perfect. Advised them it had better be as I'd been there for over 5 hours now so wasnt going to check it. Too tired, too much coffee.
    7) Got home, new stand is dinged, front of imac also now has 2 dings.

Oh, it had the MLB and a new LCD fitted.

Do you now think it's appropriate to ask for a replacement?

Is it best to go back to the store or call Apple?

John.

18. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Sounds like sloppy bench work. If you have the report of a perfect outer condition when you first took it in, I'd say give it back. They should make it right. That's what the insurance is for.
    Apple stores in the states don't want boxes when you take a machine in for repair. Yours was covered/in a box?
    Good Luck

19. john.burn thread starter macrumors member

I took it to the store in the box and left with the box, they placed a cover over the iMac.

After speaking to customer services and a stroppy call from the store manager (who didn't seen even remotely bothered they'd damaged it and seemed to be trying to infer it might have been me - the CS guy was very helpful mind you) it's going back Tuesday for an overnight repair. New chassis, new stand etc. It had better be perfect this time!

Thankfully I took several photos before I took it to the shop on my RX-1 so I have proof the marks on the front did not exist before apple got their hands on it.

John.

20. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I'm so glad that you took it back, I have had some terrible repair experience in the Apple Store too.

Wish you all the best and be sure to check it in store before you leave, NEVER trust them :)

21. john.burn thread starter macrumors member

Well, Tuesday came and went - no call from AppleStore in Solihull. AppleCare called today and asked if I'd be contacted by the manager - no was the answer so he called them, an hour or two later the store called me to say they still do not have the chassis / case so they will keep me updated (I'll believe this when I hear it). I'll probably leave it until Monday then get quite annoyed as they'd wanted my iMac in last Saturday to do this repair, despite them not being able to source the part!

A replacement iMac gets closer I guess as I am not accepting anything less than a pristine case and stand back from them.

John.

22. WilliamG macrumors G3

Cannot stand (pun not intended, just realized) when this kind of thing happens. It's why I dread my iMac ever needing repairs. I know I'm much more careful with my things than anyone else is. Good luck on this repair!

23. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

No.

The GPU is soldered to the board on these models. It IS NOT on a daughter card.

Source: I own this exact model of iMac.

Replacing the GPU requires replacement of the entire logic board.

24. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You are, of course, correct. I must have been thinking of the 2011 model at the time. Apologies to the OP.

25. john.burn, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014

john.burn thread starter macrumors member

Well, the AppleStore have located a stand... not a case.

So, AppleCare have been on and are offering a replacement machine - current 2013 version, lower spec gfx card and 'only' a 512GB SSD, I had the 680MX and I'm not so sure I want to downgrade the gpu or accept less storage at this point... I had the 768 SSD.

Looking at the price, the current spec for spec to mine, Looks like the 775 is almost as fast as the 680MX but the storage is a no deal for me - it might be faster but I use this machine for final cut and generally don't have much more than 40GB free when editing video until I clear it down - so loosing 256GB isn't cool.

John.