Faulty RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jaguaretree, Mar 29, 2013.

1. jaguaretree macrumors newbie

Hello everybody. I recently upgraded my RAM to 8gb ( Corsair Value Pack..it's all I could find here in rural Thailand that was compatible with my machine)...anyway, since the upgrade i get occasional crashes that involvle the screen flickering with colours and fast clicking noises on the audio as if the machine gets stuck in a 1/2 second loop..the only way to stop it is to do a hard power down. I ran Memtest and it resulted in the same crash again. I hope it's just a RAM problem but am worried that it could be more serious and that the fact that I installed new RAM is just coincidence....any suggetions ? Thanks in advance for advice. Anth.

2. 1member1 macrumors 6502

Remove the RAM test again see if you have the same problem.
    Put it back in and test again to see you have the issue once you plug the new RAM inside.

3. jaguaretree thread starter macrumors newbie

will it even boot up without the ram ?

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

No, but take out the upgraded RAM and put in the RAM from the original machine to see.

5. jaguaretree thread starter macrumors newbie

ok...shall try, thanks. Are these typical symptoms of bad RAM ? and can anybody advise me on a reliable brand of RAM ?

6. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Could be RAM but also could be the GPU.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm not so sure about that, the best would be to put your old ram in, see what happens, then put the new RAM in 1 stick at a time to see if there's a problem with an individual stick. It's certainly not out of the question that the RAM is bad.

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Adding to the other suggestions, try running memtest in single-user mode. It will be able to test a wider range of addresses that way (because, it isn't running the GUI and other services). Read the memtest docs for info on how to do this.

9. jaguaretree thread starter macrumors newbie

would a fawlty GPU create the clicking/sticking on the audio too ?

10. appleloverz macrumors newbie

11. jaguaretree thread starter macrumors newbie

only get the audio freeze/loop with the pschedelic screen n crash

12. jdoutine macrumors newbie

I had a similar issue with my 2012 MBP, I took a video at the time, see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9RC78eL6BA&feature=player_embedded

I also had an 8GB pack of Corsair vengeance RAM, and after getting sick of the freezing, I tried swapping for the original RAM the MBP came with. After switching back, I have never had a freeze since. Hope this helps

13. jaguaretree thread starter macrumors newbie

my screen goes a bit more nuts than that....... I'll dump the Corsair Value Pack RAM..... anybody recommend a reliable brand for MBP ?

14. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

In your first post you said Memtest crashes when you use it, this indicates it is the RAM, Memtest themselves write this in their Manual.

But, you should run it in Single User Mode, this will test all the memory, you could also run Apple Hardware Test

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

and see if you get Errors.

Crucial has plenty of problems on Mac, it's almost a daily occurrence here on MR forums.

15. 808? macrumors 6502a

Did you try the original RAM again, if so did it clear all the issues you had before?

16. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Crucial, or go to any Mac reseller in BKK if you live there.

17. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I've not see that sentiment against Crucial. As long as you purchase the correct module for your machine (they have guides), you shouldn't have any trouble and they will back you if you do.

Most recent (like last week) was a 4GB kit for a mid-2007 2.4/2.2 15". Passes single-user mode memtest 100% (and of course, the POST).

Slightly OT, I was in the market for an SSD last October and came to the conclusion the Crucial MX 512 GB was the winner (for the 2009 MBP). Zero issues.

There are several vendors for RAM I like: Crucial, Kingston, OWC are my top three. Can't remember the runners up. Since its 0347 in the morning, I'm fading fast and memory is the second thing to go.

(don't bother asking me what the first thing is...)

18. jaguaretree thread starter macrumors newbie

Not yet..... will have to buy those tiny screwdrivers first.