Favorite crystal screen protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by DashSatan, Sep 20, 2011.

1. DashSatan macrumors 6502

What is your favorite? I'm using power support crystal right now. Feels amazingly like the glass, any thing else?

2. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

i have the sgp protector on my iPhone 4 right now because it came with my neo hybrid II case and i dont like it. i actually never liked crystal screen protectors but i thought id give it a try. its only been 2 days and im ready to take it off.

3. 10-Dee-Q macrumors 6502

Bandung, West Java, Indonesia & Singapore
    well, im quite anal on this screen protector thing, cause i realy want it to be perfect. and i don't like those matte ones cause it still shows fingerprint and dirts and it make my iphone screen look like a CRT monitor, so grainy. so far i've tried theese and here's my thought:

-SGP ultra crystal - cuttings is perfect, but the screen protector it self is not so crystal clear, you can see some "grain" on them , i suspect is their glue that make it look like that. another thing is that their glue is not so good cause it always lifting up in the corner. i give them score of 6/10

-SGP Oleophobic - very good in the first week also, cutting is perfect, but it loses its oleophobic after a bout a week, and then it become the same as the ultra crystal, but this one is more prone to scratches. score 6.5/10

-SGP ultra fine - this is matte type and i don't like it at all score 4/10 for their perfect cutting.

-Power Support AFP Crystal - perfect cut, very crystal clear, mind you but i buy the japanese version which clearly write "AFP" anti fnger print on the packaaging but it still does shows finger print like any other crystal screen protector out there. but this is the best in teerms of crystal quality. it's sooo damn clearr. and its easier to apply than SGP one, cause SGP one are using sometipe of glue that shows some specks or blemishes if you don't put them perfectly. score 9/10

-Martin Fields - the best cuts out there, excellent claritttty, but it does shows a little bit of the rainbow effect. their protector is the thickest of them all, so it may cause problems with some case. but it does "protect" the screen more because of that. score 9/10

now im using martin fields for my back cover and power support for my front screen, great combo i must say.

4. DashSatan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for some ally good feedback! I appreciate it.

5. 10-Dee-Q macrumors 6502

you are welcome
    you cant really go wrong with either the power support of the martin fields
    but i wouldn't recomend SGP.
    heres the link to martin fields
    http://www.martinfields.com/

its one of the best but its quite expensive.

6. alau0115 macrumors regular

I am glad I've found and read this thread. 10-Dee-Q, your review is very useful and I am as anal on screen protector as you.

Tried the antiglare and clear version from Power Support and SGP before on 3GS and I definitely agree with you on the film lifting issue with the SGP clear screen protector.

Recently I tried their SGP crystal clear on 11" Macbook air and same lifting problem occurred, despite the super clarity on the film. Basically if you have to lift up the film to pick up some specks of dust, the 2nd time you lay down the film, the edges of the film won't stick.

Not so much with their antiglare version though. In fact, I find the SGP antiglare is less grainy than the Power Support one on the iPhone 3GS.

As I am getting the iPhone 4S, I think I will go for the Power Support clear version.

I like the blue packaging of the Japanese version of Power Support better. :)

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Power Support. I like both versions. I usually put anti glare on the iPod touch and clear on the iPhone, not sure why. the anti glare one seems to stay put better for me, not sure why that is either. Anyway I just got the clear for the 4S.

8. 10-Dee-Q macrumors 6502

here's the powersupport japan package that i buy. i bought it in an apple store in Singapore.

glad that i help :p

anyway just updating.

about the martinfields vs power support crystal clear

the MF is thicker, and there's no cutout for the front facing camera, so that it makes me feel safer about that little camera upfront. but the MF do shows a little "rainbow effect".
    the Power support is thinner, the clarity is comparable between both of them. much clearer than SGP one. i don't know why i just don't like SGP screen protector ecxept their anti glare version, but then again i don't like anti glare :)
    another thing is that the Power support seems to be more scratch resistant compared to the Martin Fields.

now im using Power support crystal clear AFP for the front, and Martin Fields for the Back, because of the thicker MF makes me feel a little bit safer :p
    on my iPhone 4

and i'm using Martin Fields for my Blackberry 9900, cause power support didnt make the protector for Blackberries :(

[​IMG]

9. -y0- macrumors 6502

-y0-

I use Power Support as well and always have. My gf uses SGP Oleophobic and it's not as good.

10. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Do you guys have the link to purchase the Japanese Power Support Crystal?

11. alau0115 macrumors regular

Did some research and my guess is both the US and Japanese versions have the same new crystal film available. It is strange that the US version does not specify AFP but in the description of the US version it says it has a new oleo phobic, scratch resistant crystal film. Note the US version is packaged with slightly different content --- I couldn't find one with 2 crystal films + back film in US version.

However, from eBxx, I could find one 3-pcs set from Singapore or UK origin which seem to have the same content as the Japanese one.

----------

Thanks for the update. :) I also used Martin fields before on other devices. They are way more expensive than PS or SGP but the adhesive is too strong to lift it up again for picking dusts, if my memory serves..

The PS Japansee version has changed the colour again(dark blue to light grey to denote the new AFP). :p But somehow the Japanese one still seems to look better.

12. Ach111es macrumors regular

I honestly bought a bunch of 2 dollar ones that I replace every couple months (used 2 total since getting te vzw phone the day it came out)

They do scratch easier but it's just that much cheaper. Screen quality really hasnt been cut at all, occasional rainbows when screen in black.

13. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

14. der-kaiser macrumors 6502

This.

15. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Same here.

16. Bama91 macrumors newbie

17. Brazzy macrumors regular

Just picked up a power support thanks to the recommendations in this thread. Can't wait to put it on my 4s!

18. sddabrow macrumors 6502

Just ordered front and back Power Support Crystal too, based on all the MacRumors positive review of them.

19. MLAM, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

MLAM macrumors regular

Hi,

I've been lurking for a bit here recently, my first post.

@10-Dee-Q

Does the Martin Fields protector cover the whole screen? looking on their website it almost looks like it only covers just the bare minimal leaving some of the Home button area uncovered.

Also, on the back cover, I've read it covers up the flash too, does that cause a serious side effect to taking photo's?

Can you clarify that please?

Thanks

20. sabesh macrumors regular

Is there a discount code for Power Support? Thanks very much.

21. 15danielp macrumors regular

I'm sold on the Power Support AFP Crystal screen protector, but I can't find anywhere to buy it!:confused:

22. mellowtooth macrumors newbie

I'm gonna have to actually recommend the SGP Ultra Crystal - I find it to be clearer and the texture a little smoother

23. sabesh macrumors regular

It's available at the Apple store.

24. docprego macrumors 65816

Actually just the anti-glare variety is.