Favorite movies of 2013

musicjunky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
The year is coming to a close. What are YOUR favorite movies released in 2013? Add your reasons why. Blockbusters or arthouse alike, let's celebrate the year in film/movies/pictures/cinema.

1. Inside Llewelyn Davis
Coen Brothers work their magic again. I loved the look, the cat, and Oscar Isaac's performance.

2. Francis Ha
Black and White makes New York look gorgeous, and this was a genuinely funny movie about finding your way in life.

3. Before Midnight
Lives up to the prequels. These two characters are some of the best in film.

Have yet to watch Her and The Wolf of Wall Street but I anticipate liking those as well.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Singapore
Pacific Rim, one of the best action movies ever happened in 2013.

May seem kinda funny, but action and giant mechas are my favorite genres. :)

musicjunky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Just saw Wolf of Wall Street. This movie was a monster! Really enjoyable romp for 3 full hours.

NaveedTrueface

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2013
Rochdale
I love movies

The year is coming to a close. What are YOUR favorite movies released in 2013? Add your reasons why. Blockbusters or arthouse alike, let's celebrate the year in film/movies/pictures/cinema.

1. Inside Llewelyn Davis
Coen Brothers work their magic again. I loved the look, the cat, and Oscar Isaac's performance.

2. Francis Ha
Black and White makes New York look gorgeous, and this was a genuinely funny movie about finding your way in life.

3. Before Midnight
Lives up to the prequels. These two characters are some of the best in film.

Have yet to watch Her and The Wolf of Wall Street but I anticipate liking those as well.
Fast and furious 6

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
'The Act of Killing': (an outstanding Indonesian documentary which was possibly the very best and most disturbing and thought-provoking documentary I have ever seen - and I write here as someone who reveres excellent documentaries).

'Philomena': A beautifully acted, bitter-sweet, moving and yet very funny at times, British movie (which was based on a true story).

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Both books 2 and 3 could almost be considered one book. I felt sorry for the people who hadn't read the books and didn't realize the second movie would end with a "to be continued".
never read thte books, no time, I don't mind movies that are "to be continued", the ending seemed somewhat lacking.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
My favorites, of 2013:

1. The Hobbit:The Desolation Of Smaug
2. Star Trek: Into Darkness
3. the Hunger Games: Catching Fire
4. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
5. Man Of Steel
5. Oz The Great And Powerful
6. The Wolverine
7. Man Of Steel

Just on a side note, my cousin Easton Smith was lead set designer for Star Trek, Catching Fire, and Oz :D

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Realized that I haven't really watched that many movies this year (single life lol). Elysium sucked, Fast and Furious 6 was okay.

I did enjoy the Wolf of Wall Street recently though.

cambookpro

Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
My favourites (no particular order):

The Great Gatsby
Gravity
Captain Phillips
Despicable Me 2

An honourable mention has to go to American Hustle, but the plot was confusing at times and it wasn't really "clever" enough. Brilliant acting, however.

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
Captain Phillips
Hangover III
Saving Mr Banks

but my favorite is Lee Daniels : The Butler

Just watched the Wolf of Wall Street, thought it was OK! nothing to go crazy about, sex, money and drugs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.