Jun 16, 2008
Right now, it's a tossup, between…

Cessa La Pluie, by Anggun:

BL.

Comment

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

Papaoutai - Stromae

It's a song about how his father died during the Rwandan Genocide. Very powerful song.

Comment

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Interesting that some of the songs listed in this thread are among my favorite non-English songs.

I've got a bit of a "guilty pleasure" in Julio Iglesia's rendition of the classic La Mer. Its got a sort of swanky, poppy, mid-70s vibe going on, that reminds me of more than one European vacation.

There are probably plenty more. (Nothing in Italian? German? ...)

But fun thread all the same.

Comment

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Stein um Stein by Rammstein. I have no frickin clue what he's saying, I looked up the lyrics once.....it's about a demented guy who wants to kidnap someone and build them a little house "stone by stone". Something like that.....the ending is killer awesome. Gives me the goosebumps.

Comment

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Interesting that some of the songs listed in this thread are among my favorite non-English songs.

I've got a bit of a "guilty pleasure" in Julio Iglesia's rendition of the classic La Mer. Its got a sort of swanky, poppy, mid-70s vibe going on, that reminds me of more than one European vacation.
Well, if that's the case, and we get into guilty pleasures, with full nod to Shakira's Ojos Asi...

One of mine, especially non-English, has to go to Thalia. I can't find the original video to it (yet), so here's a live performance of Entre El Mar y Una Estrella.

There are probably plenty more. (Nothing in Italian? German? ...)

But fun thread all the same.
Indeed more. I'm really going through my collection now!

BL.

Comment

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Les Toreadors (from Bizet's Carmen)

YouTube: video

I'm an old man. I have old man taste in music.:p
Ah, but what a lovely choice; age has nothing to do with it, whereas class and taste have a lot….

Terrific choice. I remember the 1990 World Cup on the BBC and this was the piece they chose as their theme music……..

Okay, another "non English" (okay, but somewhat difficult to ascertain exactly what language is in use here - some sort of obscure dog, or slang, or mutant, Latin, I think...) is: "O, Fortuna" by Carl Orff from Carmina Burana…..

Comment

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
The lyrics to the song "Adiemus" aren't in English or any other "real" language. According to the Welsh composer Karl Jenkins, who wrote the piece, "The text was written phonetically with the words viewed as instrumental sound, the idea being to maximise the melisma (an expressive vocal phrase) by removing the distraction, if one can call it that, of words."

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.