Favorite Quotes

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Pathfinder55, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Pathfinder55 macrumors 6502

What are some of your favorite quotes that you have? Ill start it off.

"Innovation distinguishes between a leader and follower."
    - Steve Jobs

2. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

This one comes to mind as the primaries roll on in the USA:

Alienation is the only intelligent response to a political culture that insults our intelligence.

-- Matt Miller of Fortune magazine, on June 4, 2005 in a column for the New York Times

3. furious macrumors 65816

furious

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat **** and die. HST

If the current polls are reliable... Nixon will be re-elected by a huge majority of Americans who feel he is not only more honest and more trustworthy than George McGovern, but also more likely to end the war in Vietnam. The polls also indicate that Nixon will get a comfortable majority of the Youth Vote. And that he might carry all fifty states... This may be the year when we finally come face to face with ourselves; finally just lay back and say it — that we are really just a nation of 220 million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns, and no qualms at all about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable. The tragedy of all this is that George McGovern, for all his mistakes... understands what a fantastic monument to all the best instincts of the human race this country might have been, if we could have kept it out of the hands of greedy little hustlers like Richard Nixon. McGovern made some stupid mistakes, but in context they seem almost frivolous compared to the things Richard Nixon does every day of his life, on purpose... Jesus! Where will it end? How low do you have to stoop in this country to be President? HST

4. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

First of all, I like (obviously) the quote in my sig. After that:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? ("Who Will Guard the Guardians?")

Real Programmers Don't Document. (If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand)

Aposiopesis makes me want to... (I think this would make a great shirt, like the ones that MentalFloss sells).

To know recursion, you must first know recursion.

Mac OS X: Because making Unix user-friendly is easier than debugging Windows.

No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

ACK and you shall receive.

A computer without a Microsoft operating system is like a dog without bricks tied to its head.

A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.

Claiming that your operating system is the best in the world because more people use it is like saying McDonald's makes the best food in the world.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat. The two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.

When they broke open molecules, they found they were only stuffed with atoms. But when they broke open atoms, they found them stuffed with explosions.

Powered by Infinate Probability Drive (Engraved on my iPod)

Edit: Oops... You were looking for quotes, not great sayings. Sorry about that:eek: Hope someone got a kick out of em' anyway...

5. Pathfinder55 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

These aren't that funny but good nevertheless:

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

"Being noticed can be a burden. Jesus got himself crucified because he got himself noticed. So I disappear a lot." - Bob Dylan

"People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent." - Bob Dylan

"No one is free, even the birds are chained to the sky.” - Bob Dylan

"Money doesn't talk, it swears." - Bob Dylan

"Many waters cannot quench love, neither can the floods drown it." - Song of Solomon 8:7

"We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"The death of one man is a tragedy. The death of one million is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind." - John F. Kennedy

"In the time of universal deceit, the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion." - L. Ron Hubbard

7. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

" All that is required for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing" I believe it was Lincoln who said that, not sure.

"When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation." Jefferson- one of the most eloquently turned phrases ever IMO

"You hypocrites! You say to your brother, "Let me remove the mote of dust from your eye", but do not notice the log that is in your own eye" Jesus of Nazareth

Some Clint Eastwood Movie Classics

"I'm from Mizzoura Senator, so don't piss down my back and try to tell me it's raining" The Outlaw Josey Wales

"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms" The Outlaw Josey Wales

"Deserves got nothing to do with it" Unforgiven

8. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

"Humor has become so cliche and boring that nothing's funny anymore unless it involves something totally disgusting that offends somebody or makes them feel really uncomfortable." -Tom DeLonge

"We can not deny something that we do no fully understand. Only when we understand it can we deny it or accept it." -Me

"You may be poor, your shoes may be broken but your mind, your mind is a palace." -Unknown

Just for fun:
    Mr. Madison, what you just said is one the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

I have loads more but for some reason I can't locate them at this time.

9. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

"Hi. I'm Crow T. Robot and I'm here to tell you Mike Nelson is INNOCENT. Mike Nelson is two hundred percent f***ing NOT GUILTY. And if the rest of you b***ards don't g*****n find him innocent, then you can just kiss my fat f***ing a**. And that goes for the rest of your b******t court system too! Mike, I'm so motherf***ing sorry I couldn't f***ing be there for this f***ing s****y really bogus trial, man. But let me g*****n tell you something, Nelson. If I was there, I'd f***ing kick everyone's fat stupid motherf***ing behinds and then cram it up their f***ing a**. Anyway, Mike, buddy, I hope this s*** helps. Take care, Mike." ~MST3K

A little bit more seriously...

"Cheap grace is the preaching of forgiveness without requiring repentance, baptism without church discipline, Communion without confession, absolution without personal confession. Cheap grace is grace without discipleship, grace without Jesus Christ, living and incarnate."
    ~Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Those two really don't go together at all...

10. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

These two have got to be my favorite computer related quotes.

Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

But being serious, this is my favorite:

In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

-Martin Luther King Jr.

11. aarathi macrumors newbie

Favorite quote is "Love is not love that alters when it alteration finds."
    -Shakespeare

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

A few of my favorites:

"You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time." -Lincoln

"Let's kill all the lawyers." -Shakespeare. :p

"I hope you're all Republicans." -Ronald Reagan, speaking to his doctors after he was shot (I don't care for the man, but that was a good line).

"I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience." -Ronald Reagan again, referring to the 1984 debate in which Reagan's age was brought up as an issue.

"An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind." -Ghandi. It's sad that so many resist such plain logic. :(

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest." -Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain).

"Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." -Samuel Clemens again.

There are others to be sure, but these came to mind for the moment.

13. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

Playwright John Shanley:

"Having a lack of certainty can be a passionate exercise rather than something that cuts you off at the knees and makes you weak; in fact it can make you strong. To live in a state of doubt is to live in a dynamic present tense way rather than to sit back on the couch of convictions."

14. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Oscar Wilde is one of my favorite authors and there are many great quotes attributed to him. Here are a few:

"I can resist everything except temptation."

"It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious."

"Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both."

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go."

"The difference between literature and journalism is that journalism is unreadable and literature is not read."

"The old believe everything, the middle-aged suspect everything, the young know everything."

"To lose one parent may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."

"Work is the curse of the drinking classes."

"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between."

15. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

"Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people
    who prepare for it today." -Malcolm X

"The rest of those who have gone before us cannot steady the unrest of those to follow." -unknown, got it from Finding Forrester.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. " -Marianne Williamson

"We shall match your capacity to inflict suffering by our capacity to endure suffering. We shall meet your physical force with soul force. Do to us what you will, and we shall continue to love you. Throw us in jail, and we shall still love you. Bomb our homes and threaten our children, and we shall still love you. Send your hooded perpetrators of violence into our community at the midnight hour and beat us and leave us half dead, and we shall still love you. But be assured that we will wear you down by our capacity to suffer. One day we shall win freedom, but not only for ourselves. We shall so appeal to your heart and conscience that we shall win you in the process, and our victory will be a double victory." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

16. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Most of mine are from the Simpsons :D

Someone from the Mafia: "Hey, I thought you said that guy was dead!"
    Fat Tony: "No, what I said was he sleeps with the fishes."

"This communism is going to be huge! We'll both be rich!" -Monty Burns

And the one in my signature at the moment...

"Hey, even the Army has Humvees now!" -Bart Simpson

EDIT: LinuXtreme, can I use your OS X quote in my signature please?
    ANOTHER EDIT: In fact, I like a few of them, can I use them in the future?

17. bartelby macrumors Core

"Macintosh - We might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end." --- Douglas Adams

18. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

[​IMG]

Einstein FTW!

(I always think of this quote when I think of the USA for some reason) ;)

"I have never looked upon ease and happiness as ends in themselves, such an ethical basis I call more proper for a herd of swine."

19. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Too many favorite quotes for me... I try to cycle through them all in my sig but still have many I need to use. ;)

Here are some of them, I'll post more later....

Imagination is more important than knowledge
    - Albert Einstein

Some would ask, “How could a perfect God create a universe filled with so much that is evil?” They have missed a greater conundrum: Why would a perfect God create a universe at all?

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
    - Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, Father of Rocketry

All of us are watchers – of television, of time clocks, of traffic on the freeway – but few are observers. Everyone is looking, not many are seeing.
    - Peter Leschak

No man or woman is ever worth your tears, and the only one who is will
    never make you cry.

Man is disturbed not by things, but by his opinion of things
    - Epictetus, Roman philosopher, 1st Century AD

Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely.
    - Rodin

Great spirits always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    - Albert Einstein

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
    - B. Russell

You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same.

Destiny - a tyrant's authority for crime and a fool's excuse for failure.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.
    - William Jennings Bryan

The past, present and future are only illusions, even if stubborn ones.
    - Albert Einstein

More to come...

:cool:

20. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Cut 'n' pasted from my Facebook profile:

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

“...but I rebel against the charges of perversion and obscenity that would be made against my memory, and I will keep recollections to myself. To me they are not obscene; they are precious, exquisite and pure. In any case, no one would know what they mean. They are for the private museum that each of us carries in our heads…” - Louis de Bernieres, 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin'

"In my opinion, the best thing you can do is find a person who loves you for exactly what you are. Good mood, bad mood, ugly, pretty, handsome, what have you, the right person will still think the sun shines out your ass. That's the kind of person that's worth sticking with." - Mac MacGuff, 'Juno'

"I never felt magic crazy as this. / I never saw moons, knew the meaning of the sea. / I never held emotion in the palm of my hand. / Or felt sweet breezes in the top of a tree. / But now you're here / Brighten my northern sky." - Nick Drake, 'Northern Sky'

"Cheap cheap for you! Do you know the meaning of the word 'compromise'?" - Gaby

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." - Dr. Seuss

EDIT: A new quote:

"Everyone has their sorrows or difficult times and nights they're embarrassed about. I've had a few drunken nights. I'm not a puritan. I simply haven't made a lifestyle out of it." - Natalie Portman

21. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

"Nothing can be determined entirely for certain, that which concerns the future."
    - Nostradamus

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Womp-bomp-a-loom-op-a-womp-bam-boom!
    — Little Richard

23. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Part 2... So many of these resonate with me...

Laziness is often mistaken for patience.
    - French Proverb

Our life always expresses the result of our dominant thoughts.
    - Kierkegaard

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
    - Confucius

The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots.
    - The Fourth Doctor

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
    - Leonardo da Vinci

Give me the money that has been spent in war and I will clothe every man, woman, and child in an attire of which kings and queens will be proud. I will build a schoolhouse in every valley over the whole earth. I will crown every hillside with a place of worship consecrated to peace.
    - Charles Sumner

Nations have recently been led to borrow billions for war; no nation has ever borrowed largely for education... no nation is rich enough to pay for both war and civilization. We must make our choice; we cannot have both.
    - Abraham Flexner

I would rather live in a world where my life is surrounded by mystery than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it.
    - Harry Emerson Fosdick

Some men have thousands of reasons why they cannot do what they want to, when all they need is one reason why they can.
    - Willis Whitney

Kay, I'll post one more set and leave it at that for now. ;) :)

24. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Last one for now:

It's no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.
    - Anonymous

A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes.
    - James Feibleman

Self-confidence is the result of a successfully survived risk.
    - Jack Gibb

There's lots of opportunities - if you know when to take them.
    There's lots of opportunities - if there aren't, you can make them.
    Make or break them.
    - Pet Shop Boys ;)

Energy and persistence alter all things.
    - Benjamin Franklin

The nature of modern life is obsession.
    - Gaius Baltar

Habit and routine have an unbelievable power to waste and destroy.
    - Henri De Lubac, Paradoxes

Temptation is a woman's weapon and a man's excuse.
    - H. L. Mencken

Assumptions allow the best in life to pass you by.
    - John Sales

Kay, I'm done for now. :cool: