Favorite Running Shoe

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by runningman, Oct 15, 2007.

1. runningman macrumors regular

I use to love New Balance shoes up till the 766 which was a great shoe. Of course then they tamper with a successful shoe and develop the 767 which was a nightmare of a shoe.
    I have since changed to Mizuno Wave Nirvana which is a terrific shoe.
    Any other opinions?0

2. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

3. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I was pleased with my Asics but now that i've got a nike+ pair 'o shoes to go with my iPod and co.

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I still maintain (as in other shoe threads) that for running/ walking shoes, you should really get properly fitted. Go to a decent B&M store where the employees are trained to watch you walk and find shoes that will truly suit your feet.

That said, I did that a few years back and was fitted w/ Asics GT-2100s (that whole series, really as they do slight updates every so often).

Asics2100.jpg

I've purchased a total of 3 pairs: one that's been abused the most, one that's meant to be my backup, and the third pair I saw for an incredible steal and so am saving until my other pair is set for retirement.

5. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

With my wide foot I have found that only new balance ever really seem to work.

6. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

That doesn't work when you wear a size 15 and no store carries your size :mad:

7. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

On average, do you think shoes purchased from a store like that run significantly higher? I am ok with paying the higher prices, but I am trying to budget my running stuff, and was wondering how much more it would run (in your opinion) from a store like that versus Sports Authority or someplace like that.

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

If you go to a dedicated store, they should have something. :) And if not, then a proper store will order it for you and allow you to try them on-- yes, without you paying.

The store I went to was Metrosport (yes, I realize very localized) and they didn't MARK UP the prices, they were just full MSRP. Yes, I could have (and did find) the same model shoes for cheaper elsewhere-- but to me, it is priceless to be accurately fitted and receive amazing customer service.

So I bought my first pair there, and my subsequent purchases were from other places.

Although, I'd love to go and get fitted for a completely different brand and model and whenever I get around to doing that, I'll be shopping at my local running store and buying that first pair there to support them. :)

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, I agree. A running store should have your size, even if it is outlandish. For me, so far, it's consistently been Saucony Grid Omni in the Ultimate variety -- I've gone through gen III, IV, and V (haven't gotten Progrid 6's yet).

10. runningman thread starter macrumors regular

I use to run in asics and went away from them for awhile and when I came back I felt that they were to soft/mushy when I ran. But I still think they are a great shoe. The problem is even when you get fitted for the right shoe it may not be the right shoe for you and it's hard to drop 80 - 100 and be wrong. But I do agree that getting fitted is of the utmost importance for your size, running style, running surface, feet and whether you need stability etc.

11. zwida macrumors 6502a

zwida

Asics GT 2120. I've been running in this same basic model since the 2060.

Bought (almost always) from Super Runner's Shop on Manhattan's west side.

12. letsgorangers macrumors 6502

13. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

Same here (6E width foot). I'm currently wearing the 926, but they've just about worn out. I go through 1 pair a year. Which reminds me, I need to pick up a box of Arm & Hammer to take care of the odor in my current pair.

[​IMG]

14. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Saucony Hurricanes have never let me down. I'm looking forward to trying their new ProGrid Paramount shoe.

15. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

I've been wearing New Balance 991's for a long time. They recently changed the model to 992. Not sure what changes have been made to it.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I've been wearing Merrells for a while now. Highly recommended.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow, do those uppers breath at all? They look very unusual for running shoes!

18. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

With my narrow foot I have found that only new balance ever really seem to work.

19. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

This is very true, you need to find out what is best for you, and having someone who is trained to do that is the best way to go. I work in a shoe store and can tell you feet very a huge amount from person to person. Everyone wants to ask, what is the best running shoe out there, but it really all depends on your foot and what you want out of the shoe.

That said, I wear the Asics Kayano.

20. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I'm a Cross Country runner and I just can't live without Asics shoes. I use the 2120's and ever since I got into high school CC last year any other brand of shoes causes me to get some kind of injury. I think that a nike shoe would be the worse to run in.

21. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

22. hmmfe macrumors regular

Asics GT-2100s here too. Third pair of GTs in the last year or two.

23. letsgorangers macrumors 6502

Different strokes for different folks. Asics hurt my feet, Nikes don't.

24. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I know that but my coach always tells us to avoid nikes for running.

25. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

It all depends on your feet. I love my Adidas rugby cleats and wont give them up until they fall to pieces on my feet. But I had a pair of Adidas running shoes that fit my feet so badly they contributed to me spraining the same ankle twice. Everyone's feet need different styles.