Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Will ‘quantum mathematics’ ever blow the doors off encryption? My understanding is that if we ever manage to wield quantum computing, it will be so powerful that it could crack the most complex pass phrases in moments. Not sure how much of that is truth and how much of it is science fiction. I guess the 10-strikes rule could still thwart any and all attempts at brute force...?

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
Will ‘quantum mathematics’ ever blow the doors off encryption? My understanding is that if we ever manage to wield quantum computing, it will be so powerful that it could crack the most complex pass phrases in moments. Not sure how much of that is truth and how much of it is science fiction. I guess the 10-strikes rule could still thwart any and all attempts at brute force...?
I suspect that it could work both ways; those same tools could be potentially be applied to encryption to make it just as impossible.

Reactions: Jim Lahey

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
I'm using 12 character alphanumeric.
We'll still be waiting in 100 years for a brute force.
[automerge]1580948081[/automerge]

That just means the number of bits in the encryption algorithm grows to reflect the computing power.
It won't get easier, the keys and the algorithms become more complex.
If you create a better mouse trap, someone will create a better mouse.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
I use 16 digit alphanumeric password on my iPads iPhone and Mac Filevault unlock.

telling everyone that info has defeated the very purpose in setting a 16 digit passcode to begin with.
that info now has effectively decreased yr passcode's effectiveness to (around) only an 8 digit passcode.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Actually the most secure is to use a passphrase that uses numbers, letters and special characters, something like:
I have loved my wife since January 1, 1902!

But obviously not this phrase, as it would be trivial to find out your anniversary date, but it gives you the idea, by using such a long phrase it makes it almost impossible for a computer to figure out, but at the same time makes it super easy for you to remember.
That exclamation mark at the end doesn't make it more secure. Force people to use mixed case, numbers, and symbols, and most of the time you'll get Somepassword1!

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
Nice to see the security deployed by Apple can withstand the efforts and resources of a "Nation-State Effort".

Keep trying, G-Men. I wish you all the best tech luck.

This is a cat & mouse game that's been going on since the dawn of recorded time.

If the FBI succeeds in cracking it open, Apple will make their security better, again. If not, the FBI gets what they want from it.

But Apple shouldn't just comply with a "pretty please". Not much of worth on my phone, but those are racy pictures of MY WIFE, and I don't want some government official gawking at them...

Any why would a government official be on your phone?
[automerge]1580966091[/automerge]
Genuinely curious: what do they hope to learn at this point?
Generally speaking, in a post mortem investigation... and in no particular order:
Motive
Psych (see #1)
Accomplices
Source(s) of radicalization, if applicable
Source(s) of weapons/ammunition, IEDs, if applicable
Previous crimes not known to law enforcement
Location or information leading to additional evidence (i.e. cloud storage, additional devices, password storage, etc)

The more you learn about an offender, the better equipped you are to identify the next.

If the government threw up their hands every time a criminal died and said "welp, he/she is dead, guess it's on to the next case", that would be a colossal mistake. Especially when you're talking about a mass homicide. If one of the Tsarnaev brothers had died in the Boston bombing and the government had called it quits, they would've never found the other. Never assume it's a lone wolf, and never assume you know everything.

Most on this board are just paranoid and watch too many movies, for the most part, no one cares what's on your phone/watch/tablet/computer.

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
"Apple faced a similar situation in 2016, when a U.S. federal judge ordered the company to help the FBI unlock an iPhone owned by Syed Farook, one of the shooters in the December 2015 attacks in San Bernardino, California. Apple opposed the order, noting that it would set a "dangerous precedent." "

However, we never hear much about that now, so the assumption would be "they got access"

The FBI wouldn't keep this stuff secret, unless it wanted to avoid public media..The same thing happened then as "still hasn't" and the same thing happening now...

It will be over before too long, and everyone wlll get back to work.

Most on this board are just paranoid and watch too many movies, for the most part, no one cares what's on your phone/watch/tablet/computer.

Says you. It's the first thing i go poking about,

Last edited:

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Alphanumeric password are so insecure.
Upper case, lower case, numbers, symbols and anything on ANY keyboard layout are fair game.
Alphanumeric encompasses uppercase, lowercase, and digits. “Symbols and anything else” just means punctuation. So throw in a comma or some such - search space goes way up. But I’d hardly describe alphanumeric (upper/lower/digits) as “so insecure”. 62 symbols is a huge improvement over 10. The big thing after you get past digits-only, is to use sufficient length.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
Imagine what would happen if it had been an "homophobic crime" instead.

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
good for aapl for their security strength
curious how much money the govt is spending to crack this one

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
I use 6 digits because its supposed to be so many combos you will need longer than I am around to get in. Not sure if that's true but supposed to be.

If you write down a six-digit number, your range of possibilities is 000000 to 999999, i.e. there are indeed 1 million possible values.

If, on the other hand you use alphanumeric values, i.e. each character is A-Z, a-z or 0-9, that gives you 62 possibilities for each character. Six alphanumeric characters gives you 62 to the power 6 possible passwords, which is 56,800,235,584 possible passwords, much stronger.

Adding special characters like + or _ into the mix makes things even stronger.

Last edited:

aplnub

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
I use 6 digits because its supposed to be so many combos you will need longer than I am around to get in. Not sure if that's true but supposed to be.

This buys you about 11 days.

Assuming you can get by iOS with a jailbreak or ZDE:

The secure enclave requires a minimum 80 millisecond hardware delay between guesses. Average time to guess:

4 digit numeric password ~ 7 minutes
6 digit numeric password ~ 11 hours
8 digit numeric password ~ 46 days
10 digit numeric password - 12.5 years

4 digit alpha numeric (sufficient randomness)~ 7 days
6 digit alpha numeric (sufficient randomness)~ 72 years
8 digit alpha numeric (sufficient randomness)~ 276,000 years

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Actually the most secure is to use a passphrase that uses numbers, letters and special characters, something like:
I have loved my wife since January 1, 1902!

But obviously not this phrase, as it would be trivial to find out your anniversary date, but it gives you the idea, by using such a long phrase it makes it almost impossible for a computer to figure out, but at the same time makes it super easy for you to remember.

That's what I use, mine might be harder to remember than your example, but more secure.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
what did law enforcement do before technology? I mean why do they care so much what is on someones phone? People having been doing serious crime for longer than 10 years before all this crazy cell phone era what did they do before all of this? Seems like real detective work is not enough nowadays?

emulator

macrumors 6502a
Nice to see the security deployed by Apple can withstand the efforts and resources of a "Nation-State Effort".

Keep trying, G-Men. I wish you all the best tech luck.

This is a cat & mouse game that's been going on since the dawn of recorded time.

If the FBI succeeds in cracking it open, Apple will make their security better, again. If not, the FBI gets what they want from it.

But Apple shouldn't just comply with a "pretty please". Not much of worth on my phone, but those are racy pictures of MY WIFE, and I don't want some government official gawking at them...

This is just pure stupidity. You are a product thus corporation want and get your data; Apple, Facebook, Amazon, Google, etc. Don't take it personally but the government couldn't give a **** about your existence.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Any why would a government official be on your phone?

”The Holocaust was legal. Slavery was legal. Segregation was legal. People who hid Jews in their homes were criminalized. People who freed slaves were criminalized. People who stood up for equality and justice were criminalized. Legality is not a guide for morality!”

I’d rather be the judge of whether the government of the day should be allowed to snoop my private data.

Lestdog

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
I support the FBI 100% in cracking that phone without Apples help. I’m routing for you FBI!!

FaustsHausUK

Contributor
Mar 11, 2010
Chicago, IL

Honestly, I don't really care about law enforcement doing what they need to do to keep the country safe - I have nothing to hide from them. Sadly, there is no way to create a way into devices for legitimate law enforcement that cannot also be exploited by bad actors.

A criminal with access to my devices will have access to my bank accounts, credit cards, mortgage, payroll and tax information; contacts, photos, and other personal communications. Gaining access would allow them to wipe me out financially and steal my identity. "Don't put those things on your phone!" is not a solution - security is a solution.

There are many other bad actors who should not have this access. Authoritarian governments would have a field day with this - the Saudis, the Russians, the North Koreans and the Chinese are doing everything they can to undermine western democracies, squash dissenting voices, and assert control. Depending on your political viewpoint, you might also believe the current US government is veering in that direction too.

The terrorists and criminals being pursued by law enforcement will move on the second they deem a channel insecure for coordinating their efforts. They can and do adapt. In the meantime, you would have completely obliterated a legitimate need for privacy and security among citizens for little gain.

Reactions: MacNeb
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.