FBI MoneyPak Virus- Am I Okay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrcarter2, Jul 15, 2013.

1. mrcarter2 macrumors member

Hey guys! So I was just browsing the web on my new macbook pro and i got hit with the fake FBI MoneyPak Virus. I had heard about this virus before so I just restarted my computer, then reopened safari and deleted my cache and cookies. Is that all I need to do or do I need to download a security program? I wasn't dual booting into windows or anything and my computer is on the latest version of mountain lion. Please Help!!!!!!!!

2. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

its a windows virus as far as i know ....

windows virus can't infect mac osx

3. mrcarter2 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply. So I have nothing to worry about?

4. gr8tfly, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013

gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Read this today (link from SlashGear): http://blog.malwarebytes.org/intelligence/2013/07/fbi-ransomware-now-targeting-apples-mac-os-x-users/

Sounds like you cleared it - mostly by preventing it from loading again. It doesn't sound like there's anything installed (and, I believe it would have been caught before execution anyway). In any event, it's not a virus.

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

It is not a virus (Which your Mac can't get anyway). It is simply a message on a website to lure stupid people to pay. The reason you have to go through hoops to get it away, is that you can't get away from the page due to some annoying Javascript.

Apart from being annoying, it is about as dangerous as your coffee cup (Seeing that you can spill coffee on your mac, the cup might actually be more dangerous).

6. bkribbs macrumors 65816

:'( This just isn't true.

7. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

There aren't any Mac viruses in the wild. So yes, it's true.

8. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

9. mrcarter2 thread starter macrumors member

10. bkribbs macrumors 65816

The fact that none are currently there absolutely does NOT mean they cannot be made. If you tell people they are immune to viruses, if/when people decide to target OS X they will be CLUELESS.

11. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

So, you consider the OP an expert on the current situation or what? He can't get a virus right now, so what I said was true.
    You don't go around telling people that since the theory of gravity is a theory, it doesn't make sense to assume things always fall towards the center of the planet, do you?

12. bkribbs macrumors 65816

Things do fall towards the center of earth... ?

13. Dalton63841, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013

Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Yes. That's how gravity works. That's why when you fall you fall to the ground, as opposed to up. The ground obviously stops you from falling any closer to the center of the Earth, but still.

EDIT: Re: Viruii on Mac. Sorry, no. Unix permissions means that any executable that would modify the system REQUIRES admin privileges in order to execute. So make all the "Mac Viruii" you want, it still won't do anything unless the user directly gives it admin privileges to run.

14. bkribbs macrumors 65816

I'm not sure what the point of the gravity thing was exactly but whatever.

So yes viruses can be made, but require admin permissions to run. Which quite frankly some poor little old ladies probably do, but for the most part OS X is safe. i'll agree to that.

Anyways, this isn't even my thread and I don't want to hijack it. My apologies to the OP.

15. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

It's ransomware targeting OS X users. Basically just some bs javascript code. To easily get rid of it just reset Safari with all the check boxes selected. Don't panic and by all means don't pay the $300.

16. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

My, my...such a ruckus over wording.

Macs (OS X) can get viruses, they are not immune.

BUT

There have never been, up to this point, any viruses in the wild.

Macs can be effected by other kinds of malware...which can generally avoided by safe computing practices.

17. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Since GGJstudios hasn't been here yet :eek: I'll go ahead and post the obligatory "you don't have a virus" URL. ;) :)

Mac Virus/Malware Info

18. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

You don't even have to reset Safari. Just close Safari and hold Shift while launching it again to start a fresh session without reopening previous tabs.

19. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

Nice, didn't know about that one.

20. Ccrew macrumors 68020

He can get a virus right this instant. Just one hasn't been identified in the wild. He's actually correct.

The best ones are out there, and he has it, and it just hasn't been identified. That doesn't mean they don't exist.

21. mrmichael macrumors newbie

moneypak using mountain lion and firefox

hello group members i have been getting the moneypak fbi your computer is locked message i have a mac running mountain lion but i never use safari but i do use firefox...please explain again if you wouldn't mind since im a new user to this thread...is it fixed in firefox or java...because im having a really hard time figuring out how to disable java...can you be generous and explain how to do that

22. scott99 macrumors 6502a

I actually got this on on my iPhone ! I had to do a hard reset to close my phone, and close down some safari browser windows.