FCC Filing Confirms Apple Planned on Launching Gold iPhone X

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 13, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple appears to have designed a gold iPhone X, according to documents filed with the United States Federal Communications Commission.

When releasing a new device, smartphone companies must share details with the FCC, which Apple did for the iPhone X in September of 2017. In the document, Apple appears to have used an iPhone X in a gold colorway that was not ultimately released.

[​IMG]

The document in question, which again, was filed back in September, includes several images of a gold iPhone X from multiple angles to outline included features and the device's dimensions. The gold shade of the iPhone X appears to be similar to the gold color of the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus.

[​IMG]

Other documents indicate Apple had prepared its FCC filing in July, suggesting the photos were taken as much as several months ahead of the iPhone X unveiling in September. While many of the documents in the filing were available soon after submission, external photos and other sensitive details were subject to a six-month confidentiality clause that only recently expired.

Given the timing of the document, it's likely Apple planned on releasing the iPhone X in three colors - gold, silver, and space gray - but was ultimately forced to shelve the gold color option ahead of release due to production issues.

[​IMG]

Prior to the launch of the iPhone X, most rumors did indeed suggest it would come in three colors. KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, for example, said that Apple was experiencing problems manufacturing a "Blush Gold" iPhone X, and he suggested in September that the gold version could go on sale at a later date to give Apple time to work out the problems.

[​IMG]

It's possible that the stainless steel frame of the gold device was causing issues, as Apple was able to release the iPhone 8 - which uses an aluminum frame - in gold. Whatever the reason, Apple ended up only launching the iPhone X in silver and space gray.

It is not clear if Apple still has plans to debut a gold iPhone X, but recent rumors have speculated that Apple may be aiming to introduce the new color in an effort to boost mid-year sales of the device. If that is the plan, it could perhaps make a debut at the Worldwide Developers Conference.

It would have been logical to introduce the new shade alongside new spring Apple Watch bands or alongside the recently announced (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 8 and 8 Plus, so it's also possible that Apple is going to hold off on debuting the new color.

Provided manufacturing issues have been worked out by this point, we could see Apple's 2018 iPhone lineup in the traditional gold, silver, and space gray options, regardless of whether or not Apple releases a gold iPhone X ahead of when those devices debut in September.

Article Link: FCC Filing Confirms Apple Planned on Launching Gold iPhone X

2. Stiss macrumors 6502a

Looks quite a nice shade of gold. Not a fan of the previous gold models but quite like this.

3. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

Last post was just about how well Apple is combatting leaks. Whoops.

Anyway, something about the shade of colors on the black and gold variants are really off for me personally. Hopefully they change that when shifting to ceramic.

4. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

That looks HOT! Black and gold, woo. I just love more black options now like product red on 8 that came out today

The gold ring around the camera glass would mesh well with the Apple cases too imo

5. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

6. gugy macrumors 68030

Don't care much of gold things with some exceptions. Tacky IMO.

7. csurfr macrumors 65816

So much for "Apple Proprietary and Confidential" :cool:

8. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

9. jonblatho macrumors 6502a

jonblatho

It’s not a leak; it’s an FCC filing. Once these documents are provided to the FCC, Apple can only maintain confidentiality for so long (external photos are only eligible for short-term confidentiality, limited to 180 days barring exceptional circumstances).

10. Kajover macrumors regular

11. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

12. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

Definitely would've bought that. Or a Red iPhone X. Either one would've been an instant-purchase for me :)

13. MadDane macrumors 6502a

That actually looks pretty nice. I have always gotten the black/space Grey versions. And I probably would with the iPhone X regardless. But yeah, it looks pretty sweet in black and gold.

14. LandRovers macrumors newbie

LandRovers

I bet they’ll hold off releasing the color now until the XI or iPhone 11 later this year.

Also, why does the top right corner of the image say it’s got an LCD display? Plus, why are the regulatory markings on the outside of the phone?

15. mzubb macrumors newbie

Gold is best!

16. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Anyone else want a blue iPhone? I think a deep, slightly dark ocean blue would look really sharp.

17. Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

Probably saving it for the X2. Tim probably figured he’d gain more sales this way to avoid the not-as-good-as-expected sales from last years X.

18. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Plot twist: this was Apple’s nearest attempt to make a red iPhone X; they just couldn’t get the red to stick.

19. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

Now if they did one like Santo Gold (the original one)... I might have to buy that immediately.

20. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

A gold iPhone X. A red iPhone 8. New jokes for Siri. New watchband colors.

Where's the innovation gone?

21. foxcub6 macrumors regular

I think it looks cool however after buying my I phone 6s I bought a gold watch and docks unfold Aluminium to match , so due a new phone soon and I’ll have a different gold , not the e d of the world but I goes p you off

22. ZipZap macrumors 603

That gold is much nicer looking than the red.

23. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

It looks lik the Euro model, and it just says LCD for standard things

24. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

You don’t see the innovation in new emojis? :O

This has been the most boring apple year in recently memory a third
    Of the way through