Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Does it matter? Its company's who pay for faster lines etc so their service is better then others. I doubt they will ask users for extra money for a better service. This is all going to be corperate games to get more money out of them.
ISPs already offer different packages of service. It would not be hard for them to ask users to pay for certain content in faster lines especially when major companies like Netflix, Google, and Apple refuse to pay.
BTW,
This post is blocked by Verizon. Please pay 49.99 to read the content.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
How are VPNs going to be handled by companies now? Amazon prime and Netflix already block vpn use. Will other companies follow?

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
Let's see what happens. These rules are only 2 years old, and before them everything wasn't atrocious. We need to move on from relying on an oligopoly for our bandwidth anyway. I hope this accelerates the process.

The internet was a different place prior to 2 years ago, and is continuing to change on a consistent basis. There is one thing that is for sure, allowing ISPs to control the internet has no potential to do anything positive for anyone but shareholders

Darryl.Jenks

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
Self-absorbed
Imagine, if you will, that I'm an idiot (it really doesn't take much imagination). Would one of you take pity on me and give me a few of Net Neutrality's pros and cons? I can't find pieces that are unbiased enough to actually teach me something, and you folks are among the best-informed on the issue.

I'm not trolling. I want to understand what Pai's critics are on about, and what his supporters are on about. Links are fine, but please give me a pro and a con from a reputable source.

Reactions: Huck and ThaRuler

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Let's see what happens. These rules are only 2 years old, and before them everything wasn't atrocious. We need to move on from relying on an oligopoly for our bandwidth anyway. I hope this accelerates the process.

Remember when you couldn't FT over cellular? That was before net neutrality.

Reactions: arkitect

maelstromr

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2002
Charlottesville, VA
You’re welcome. Now if you don’t like an ISP’s policies you can hurt them more, rather than just “put up with it”. Pushes for more competition.

Are the fairies in your fantasy free market world allowed to use either bathroom?

Because you realize I can do broadband through Comcast, a single DSl provider capped at 10MPS or my cell phone, right?

M.PaulCezanne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2014
In other news, inspired by his Net Neutrality “win”, Trump has decided to sell stretches of US Interstates and allow the owners to charge whatever they want for tolls. Premium fees acceptible for ambulances - particularly in blue states.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Well, if the internet slowly becomes prohibitively expensive maybe that won't be so terrible. I'll just tell my employer I can't afford to check work email outside the office anymore.

If I can't afford Netflix, perhaps I'll open a video store where people can't rent "Stranger Things" on Blu-Ray. I'll call it "Blockbuster Video".

Reactions: rjohnstone

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
You’re welcome. Now if you don’t like an ISP’s policies you can hurt them more, rather than just “put up with it”. Pushes for more competition.

Nope. 1/3 of the country only has access to a single ISP. You have nowhere else to go. Most of the country doesn't have more than 2 choices in a particular area. They don't have to compete.
And in fact with no net neutrality they don't have to. They can kill off competition simply be blocking or slowing the traffic.

Reactions: magicman32

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Good, you are using up far more bandwidth. Netflix and YouTube dominate and should pay more. It will either reduce usage so everyone can enjoy limited bandwidth or provide financing to build more infrastructure making the point moot.

Are you for reducing local restrictions so more cable can be laid? It won't happen if there is no incentive to get paid more to cover the costs.

This crap of everyone FaceTiming/Streaming/Gaming in an airport/train station having mindless conversations while people are trying to do critical things is not working.

If your desire is that you should not have to pay more for using more then you are on your own. You want that in every other arena, just not for your precious internet, which you think should be free (meaning paid for by others).

We need more bandwidth. Only a free market will provide it.

I pay for faster service, so good try...

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Bit of an outsider to US politics. It sounds like it kind of sucks (backwards steps usually do) and that net neutrality is a nice thing to have.... but having seen the amount of panic over it that's what I'm struggling to understand. These nightmare scenarios I've heard of bandwidth limits and severely restricting competing sites etc... are they actually likely to happen? Or are they an extreme hypothetical? Did any of the nightmare scenarios happen between 1996 and 2015, and if not, what makes them more likely to happen now? Was much of a difference seen in the 2015-2017 period?

I'm on the side of "you shoud've kept that", I'm just trying to understand the panic as I have a US friend freaking out over it and such.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
It also puts it potentially one step farther from China's Great Firewall. One could argue ending these regulations does just that - keep the government out of the internet.

From? You mean toward. I find the idea that only the govt. = evil, corporates = good, preposterous. You and the rest of the republicans are going to have to learn the hard way not to trust private corporations to look out in your best interest.

I'm in favor of the NN regulations but I've been dismayed by all the very vocal and very misleading press about NN: "This will be the END of the INTERNET!" Those are the headlines today all over news and news-related sites. It's really not clear what the results of this action will be.

They are right. Watch as the ISPs slowly change your internet packages. Or start to charge co. you use like Amazon, Google, YouTube more money...and those cost increases are passed onto you, the consumer.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Are the fairies in your fantasy free market world allowed to use either bathroom?

Because you realize I can do broadband through Comcast, a single DSl provider capped at 10MPS or my cell phone, right?
What does bathrooms have to do with this? Point is, find a new provider if you hate them (seems logical) because more will be popping up.

Reactions: Huck

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
ISPs already offer different packages of service. It would not be hard for them to ask users to pay for certain content in faster lines especially when major companies like Netflix, Google, and Apple refuse to pay.
BTW,
Youre exaggerating. Where we consumers pay the price, is that companys have to pay money to get faster lines, and have to get that back from consumers. Expect slight price raises for quite some services in 2018.
We will also notice slowdowns for some services who refuse to pay.

Thats what is going to happen in 2018, should this not be repealed by lawsuits etc.5

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Last I checked Netflix wasn't mandatory. You don't like the increase in Netflix subscription price due to Comcast charging Netflix more money for access, cancel your subscription. Netflix lobbyists and political douche bags will do whatever it takes to fight for Netflix's bottom $dollar line. They do not fight for you the subscriber, lol. Cancel your subscriptions, things will change.

No, this time my ISP will charge me more to use Netflix vs using their streaming service or slow down Netflix while making their faster. There is no good to come of this vote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.