FCC Urges Apple to Protect Safety of Americans by Activating FM Radio Chip in iPhones [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 28, 2017.

1. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Everyone knows that Apple deliberately has hidden many of its submissions to the government as far as patents and such and only reveals publicly what is legally required. That doesn't mean the FCC doesn't know more.

I'm anxiously awaiting Ajit Pai's response. I want to see if he has anything here. He's not been prone to baseless claims before that I'm aware of.

2. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Not trying to make anyone go into a heated rant but if Apple did disable the ability, it would not be the first time they've crippled a chips ability. Look at the new modems from Qualcomm for example, they are capable of gigabit LTE but it has been disabled to match the inferior Intel.

It's not below Apple to limit components to prevent them from being superior to the other supplier(s) they source from.

3. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502

BaltimoreMediaBlog

In this case, I think Apple saw a growing surge in desire for FM from the NextRadio people who claim they have an iPhone app ready if Apple will allow them. This is already being used on Android, but there's no way for the app to work without a change in IOS, which Tim Cook has emphatically said isn't going to happen.

The reason, regardless of whether the technical excuse is true, is simply because it's something FREE that competes with something Apple SELLS. MUSIC. I don't know why the "fanboys" here are trying to make a million excuses for why that's untrue when it's plainly obvious to everyone else.

4. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

You just THINK it isn't incredibly difficult. But in reality.. you have NO idea. Who is to even say that the radio even has an antenna attached to it? Or if there is room for the antenna? Or if they have any software available to support it?

Then blanket statements about how Apple doesn't care about their users because they don't user their FM receiver in it.... come on.

5. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Once again, you're assuming they don't have an FM receiver or antenna. So far this is not proven. And we know that iPhones 6s and below do have this capability as has been stated various places via the same chips in phones that have this capability.

#2, all the Android phones have FM capability. What is Apple's excuse? I don't see one here. Just blatant arrogance.

6. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

Having a receiver is literally the first criteria of a long list of needing things to make the receiver work.

You are incredibly naive about this.

All that aside. Apple wouldn’t introduce free music to its music platform anyways. And why should they?

Should cars that have the capability of onStar be forced to provide onStar just because it’s there?

7. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502

BaltimoreMediaBlog

I'm so naive that many other manufacturers use the same chips as Apple and have activated FM or is it YOU that is naive and just lives in the Apple world where this is simply accepted? I think the later.

OnStar is a terribly dishonest analogy since it costs money and FM radio is FREE. :D

But finally, you're saying you're more in favor of increased Apple profits over public safety during hurricanes?
    That is basically what you said Apple is doing, pay music over free FM music, a perfect analogy. :D

8. elmateo487, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017

elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

Really. FM (sic) radio is free. The software and hardware to interface with it is free? The maintenance of it is free? The continued use of radio chips in the device is free? How are you not thinking of these things.

It will literally cost them money to make it work. Like I said in the beginning. It’s not a switch that they flip.

Maybe since I am a programmer and understand the cost of implementation it’s easier to see this.

And the onStar analogy is perfect. You said it yourself “You’re more in favor of increased profits over public safety?”

OnStar isn’t free, and isn’t unlocked for free to everyone. Therefor onStar is more in favor of profits than public safety. See how easy that was?

Making the radio work isn’t free either and costs money to implement and maintain.

9. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Oh, but the error in your logic is that all Onstar vehicles also have FREE FM! I told you bad analogy, but you made me hit you over the head with it! HAHA! :D

AM radio is another bad analogy since the technology isn't already there nor is it practical.

As for making FM work, someone has already made free software for FM on IOS, but Apple won't cooperate with them.

http://nextradioapp.com/supported-devices/

Basically you're making useless analogies to defend Apple's GREED. Thank You for proving my point.

10. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

Wait.... that’s the best you can do? That’s your outcome from this?! Rofl.

And you think software from a 3rd party company can somehow magically make radios that aren’t in the iPhone 7 be there and turn themselves on and be available to be used.

Or did you think they were going to go backwards and turn them on for old devices that have the chips?

Or did you mean that they should add the chips to the next iPhones?

None of these are sounding like free options

11. BaltimoreMediaBlog, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2017

BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502

BaltimoreMediaBlog

There's really no arguing. Apple is always right. Resistance if futile.
    I love the company, but they deserve criticism where due and I think Ajit Pai hit them appropriately here.

And I think Tim Cook is lying and I hope the FCC rats him out. We shall see. :D

12. uwdude, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2017

uwdude macrumors 6502a

Yes, I think it's quite likely that the receiver is there in the chip, since the S8 uses the same chip and it has it. And it's been in every iPhone and they've never turned it on for some reason, which I would like to hear. I'm wondering if it has to do with the construction of the EarPods or something, but we may never know.

13. cmaier macrumors G3

The s8 is not the same chip. It’s the same chip series, but a different SOC.

14. Aussieiphone macrumors regular

Blown away by this news.

+1 for not knowing this was activatable AND wondering for years why this was not built-in.

Always thought why when so many other phones had the feature that apple was just protecting their itunes (perhaps with input from the telcos to support data streaming).

Shameful when not even additional hardware, just not activated. Always thought I could feel a minute non-functional weight in the phone...seriously tho pretty f’ed up apple.

15. Bacillus, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017

Bacillus macrumors 65816

Bacillus

Not exactly lying, but excercising a lot of obvious cr*p nonsense to sail just around the truth.
    That's why I always have to puke seeing that guy posturing.
    Never said anything substantial in years.

16. aristobrat macrumors G5

There’s a subsection of tech blogs that exist to dissect everything that Apple says, and it’s like hitting gold for them when they find examples of Apple being wrong. I find it hard to believe that they haven’t looked into this issue and found nothing, otherwise it would have been a balls-to-the-wall rush to be the first to publish an “APPLE ENDANGERING MILLIONS WITH LIES TO FCC” headline.

Lastly, Apple has got to know that if they lied, it would be discovered and they’d have their asses handed to them. They admitted there were FM “chips” in older iPhones. What do they have to gain by lying about newer iPhones? Nothing. If the new phones had FM “chips” in them, they’d spin it some other way, like they always do.

17. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Yes, you hit the nail on the head. Tim Cook knows the truth, but it's not like he's always been truthful before.
    Most iPhones in use today probably have FM chips in them. The question is more to what extent Apple went to deactivate, disable or damage the chips so they could never possibly work. This FM request is not new. It's been going on for years. It's even possible that getting rid of the headphone jack was literally to MAKE SURE the FM chips could never work.

Given the hurricane situation where radio stations stayed on the air while cell phone service was destroyed, Tim Cook is going to have a tough job to explain his actions and words. And I hope Ajit Pai stays on his case.

I think Ajit Pai is just warming up for the battle with Tim Cook & Apple over ATSC 3.0, FREE TV over IP to cell phones. Pai wants this to be universally available and on iPhones and this is not something Apple will want to support either. It is completely against their business model.

18. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Of course, they wouldn't have to unless the FM radio was being certified ;)

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

Kind of like some people assuming that Apple is lying and spinning up conspiracies based on those assumptions?

20. aristobrat macrumors G5

Having mostly lived in a metro area subject to hurricanes, the gov't advice here has always been to have a battery-powered (or better yet, hand-crank powered) NOAA weather radio that also picks up AM/FM. Oh, and extra batteries <if you didn't get the hand-crank model>.

The NOAA weather network (NWR) doesn't use FM frequencies.

Relying on an iPhone (with its non-replaceable batteries) to pick up FM radio during an event when the power is likely to be out for several days makes zero sense.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

....really?

Look at his entire defense of taking down net neutrality, it's entirely baseless claims about hampering innovation.

22. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Apple almost never outright lies, so you're correct that people should not assume such a thing.

At the same time, Apple is not about to give out details. Such as, oh say, that they currently save X dimes per thousand dollar phone by not including FM support.

Yet it would still make perfect sense for an event where news needs to get out the first day. Say, after a major earthquake destroys all other communications.

--

Side note: 100% of landlines are already back up in Puerto Rico. This hopefully allows reverse 911 alerts to those with house phones.

The point is, it never hurts to have as many methods as possible. It is not just a this-or-that kind of thing.

23. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

in the past, Apple has been very tight lipped about this.
    so we're left guessing.

my personal guesses would revolve around more money being at stake than a few cents worth of hardware.

the most obvious might be to do with AppleMusic and/or other streaming services they have or plan to have which FM reception could compete with.. (and i say compete because, amongst other reasons, FM radio is a way to get 15mins/per hour worth of advertising through an iPhone that Apple wouldn't see a cent of.. it's also competes because to most users, it will likely be seen as free music vs paid subscription)

another reason may revolve around deals or kickbacks made with the cell carriers.. FM radio usage means no data is being sold which, imo, would be a huge reason for the carriers to not want FM capabilities on a smartphone.

if either of those two guesses have anything to do with it, we'll likely never hear about it from an Apple representative.

24. saudade macrumors regular

saudade

You saw many movies dude
    --- Post Merged, Oct 2, 2017 ---
    Yeah. Correctomundo

25. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Google sells and streams music too and they seem to have no issues. Why does Apple?

It's called reality and history. If you read up on some history you'll know that dams have broken before killing people downsteam, and it should go without saying that tornados have killed people. Or how about the tsunami surges that has sweeped people out to sea? Also historically factual. No hollywood movie required.