Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
Then maybe you can explain why businesses with no problems, no bad history, no financial problems, money in the bank, no unpaid loans, that were operating an entirely legal business had their bank account closed with no explanation. I know some of these people and I know it happened.

I also know that the IRS refused to let organizations with different political views legally register under certain provisions of the law.

And if you keep looking you will find this pattern over and over again. But go ahead, it is really easier to look the other way.

When it quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck, and looks like a duct, most people would say it is a duck. Guess your not one of those.

And for the record I am a critic of any administration that is working against the people. That includes Bush and his destruction of privacy among other things.

No, it's not for me to explain, it's for you to prove. If you are going to throw out allegations like that, it is up to you to prove it, and if you could prove it this would be a very different conversation. Just like the birthers, all allegation no facts.
But we are getting off track. The simple fact is this fcc ruling is a good thing. It will keep the Internet a fair place for businesses and consumers alike.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
All I know is when we made offers, they were turned down and the reason given was no private healthcare. When we started offering private healthcare coverage, people started accepting our offers.

Probably because it makes you look less tight to have it as a perk. I've personally always questioned whether private healthcare is worth paying the tax for - I don't think it would be at 40%.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
For the record, yes, I want to provide health care to losers. Everybody is a loser at some point in their life, some sooner than others. I continue to be surprised that young, healthy Libertarians don't realize that they, too, will be losers some day. The irony is that the U.S. could provide universal health care for far less than it is spending now, as many other countries with Liberal health care systems have demonstrated.

Dude, it is survival of the fittest and that means paying for your own healthcare. If you live a lifestyle where you abuse your body, have no social skills nor financial resources, society does not owe you a living. In fact, society is better of getting rid of social liabilities where 1%ers cash in on the troubles of others.

I do not want some social engineer in a 1%er funded university to determine what "healthy" is so they are protected from the masses. I want to have a say in what health care to accept and refuse. You really want a free health care system where they force a bunch or drugs and therapies on you where there are no other choices?

Remember, if it is free, you are the product being sold. Free health care is basically mass slavery.

There are alternative health care systems that will thrive in an open and free medical health care market making pharam companies loose money. This is what Obamacare is about, protecting antiquated western medicine cronies.

Renzatic

Suspended
Remember, if it is free, you are the product being sold. Free health care is basically mass slavery.

I think you've been spending too much time hopping around on the Google conspiracy theory gravy train up in News and Rumors. Somehow, you've gotten things all mixed up in your head, and now you're applying it to real life.

Healthcare, even in single payer setups, is never free, by the way. It's subsidized. Everyone is paying something into it.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Dude, it is survival of the fittest and that means paying for your own healthcare.

So, if it were one of your loved ones who had a health issue, would you just tell them, "too bad, so sad," and put them out to pasture?

BL.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
People keep telling you the facts but you keep rejecting them. The FCC cannot "classify" the Internet under Title II. It doesn't even make any sense.

They don't need to. That's my point. Up until 2005, only telephone based Net access even fell under Title II and it was removed in 2005. Now EVERYTHING falls under Title 2. This is a massive change and unprecedented for cable. The entire reason cable has been exempt from "indecency" standards under federal law is that is has been classified as a private subscription network (http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/regulation-obscenity-indecency-and-profanity). Now that is cable networks are listed as "common carrier" that reasoning and interpretation NO LONGER APPLIES.

I'm afraid this FACT utterly and completely destroys all your arguments about their supposed inability to regulate "content" as the law for decency in broadcasting already exists. If the FCC decides to now interpret that law as applying to cable since it is now common carrier, they are free to do so. One could challenge that assertion in court IF/WHEN they made such a decision (there has been no need to before), but you telling me that it's simply not even possible is just flat out wrong and/or wishful thinking.

You seem to be confusing what they've done before with what they COULD do now. Worse yet, you seem to place a lot of "trust" in a government that has routinely proven itself to be untrustworthy, massively partisan and even downright corrupt with a history of abuses ranging from The Sedition Act of 1918 ((http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedition_Act_of_1918) to the Patriot Act of 2001 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_Act), both of which violated freedoms and wrongly imprisoned people (with in the first and without a trial in the latter). The first one was repealed. The second was not. If they every decide to label YOU a terrorist for some reason they don't need to prove it or give you a trial. Personally, I'd call that overreach and a violation of my rights, but hey, when has that stopped the government from passing such laws DESPITE the Constitution? When you have a Supreme Court that kow-tows to partisan interests, you can uphold ANYTHING or "re-interpret" anything the way you want it. They ruled for abortion rights, but that hasn't stopped people from trying to reverse it or chip away at it. The rulings ultimately mean nothing when the same court can overturn them with a re-interpretation. Given their rulings lately on unlimited money for non-living entities like corporations to use to try and fix elections, I have no faith in the courts anymore.

I know some of you find such assertions ridiculous, but history bears different results and history has a way of repeating itself when people learn nothing from it.

DSL internet access was classified under Title II from 2000 to 2005. Nobody noticed, not even you.

"Not even [me]?" I never had DSL. They did not enforce such standards in the past and then moved it to Title I in 2005. Why would that concern me?

What concerns me is classifying EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE METHOD TO CONNECT TO THE INTERNET AS CLASS II. The difference between cable and broadcast television is now largely moot. If they had decided to regulate DSL or dial-up for content, you could still move to cable based ISPs, making their "control" somewhat irrelevant and therefore impossible to enforce in any meaningful manner since as you say, they cannot control the Internet, only ACCESS TO IT. But now they're ALL the same class. They CAN do something about it.

You want Net Neutrality, but you could wind up getting a lot more than you bargained for. Telling me this isn't possible won't change the FACTs. I have yet to see one ounce of proof by anyone on your side that disproves it. I've provided the links.

Here's why the FCC regulates broadcast networks for the public. It largely has to do with LIMITED BANDWIDTH (sound familiar?) and decency standards (mostly so children aren't exposed) http://govinfo.library.unt.edu/piac/novmtg/pubint.htm

If all methods for Internet access are now common carrier limited bandwidth (they are), the reasons for controlling broadcast television could very well apply to broadband and cable providers. This could then in turn affect cable broadcasts the same as over-the-air broadcasts. Bits are bits. Bandwidth is bandwidth. All are common carriers now. It AMAZES me you guys that claim your are SO much smarter than me CANNOT SEE THAT when it is plain as day. In fact, the more I research the details, the more I see I'm right to be concerned! Yes, the decency law is separate, but the application of it is up to the FCC. It has interpreted it to only apply to broadcast television since cable was considered a private subscription network. How can they move it to class II without changing that reason in turn? They CANNOT. This means the very reason to NOT enforce decency standards has just been changed. :eek:

You don't believe it. That doesn't make it untrue.

The FCC ruling does not regulate content.

It certainly enforced existing laws FOR content such as indecency laws. As I said, their own explanations for not enforcing it on cable has been due to the manner of cable's classifiction as a private subscription network. But if they feel it is now a common carrier network, they could easily decide to enforce decency laws on cable television as a result. I've yet to see a reason this could not apply to other data transmitted over such networks including the Internet, especially if it's video (i.e. the distinction between broadcast television and Internet or cable television is now blurred due to the change in classification).

It does not impose censors. It does not block websites.

You forgot the word YET. ;)

For instance, it means Comcast cannot treat your data usage of their Hulu service any differently to your data usage of your Netflix usage. It means Comcast cannot impose unfair throttling or offer paid prioritisation to slow your Netflix experience or to get faster Hulu, respectively. It means that

You aren't making the right comparisons. You are only thinking about discrimination for one video service versus another rather than other types of data versus live services.

once you've paid Comcast for your 100GB monthly limit, they can not discriminate based on your usage. They cannot impose throttling or restrictions based on how you use the data you are paying for, provided it isn't illegal or harmful.

I'm saying it IS harmful if my live video stops working during peak hours because you demand your torrent downloads not be throttled. In other words, it's not "throttling" by the ISP that slows my access, but the high traffic over the local pipeline. Ironically, by NOT throttling traffic that "should" be lower priority, you make the "live" services break at some point in heavy traffic. In other words, slowing a download doesn't stop it from being delivered, but slowing a live video or audio broadcast past a certain point, will cripple it or stop it entirely! "Equal bits" means some things will break. Priority access might slow some things, but it's possible to still get a file even if it takes longer. It's not possible to get some services like Netflix if it slows down too much. It will break instead. THAT is why Netflix was willing to pay for prioritization. It's the SAME reason that some people pay for faster access speeds from their ISP. If you want to GAME in real time, you need fast access. MAXIMUM speeds mean less than guaranteed MINIMUM speeds in these scenarios since it is the minimum that will break the live service.

This is more of a problem on MOBILE than anywhere else, of course. Their bandwidth a LOT more limited than most cable systems in terms of carrying things like HD video during peak hours. If we had a major incident where everyone needed to call out (think 911), should this law prohibit prioritizing VOIP (aka phone calls) over something like watching Terminator 2 on your cell phone??? I don't see any mention of emergency provisions for bandwidth prioritization by carriers. Quite the opposite, "Net Neutrality" could easily force the ISPs to give just as much priority to watching that frivolous movie as emergency phone calls over their network. But I know you guys wont' address this as your replies are focused on calling me an idiot rather than dealing with actual real world concerns about your beloved Net Neutrality.

Because Cable companies got smarter and greedier and decided to try to impose unfair throttling on competing services for their own gain.

Net neutrality has nothing to do with the business practices of a corporation. It has nothing to do with establishing whether a company is a for-profit or non-profit.

LOL. That's funny. You just told me above that Comcast was prioritizing for its own GREEDY profits and now you're telling me that making that same prioritizing illegal has NOTHING TO DO WITH PROFITS. :eek:

WTF did you mean by the word "greedy" then? :rolleyes:

The entire reason I suggested a competitive net-neutral provider that is non-profit is that it has no financial reason to throttle anything whereas private carriers want to do what is best for their business. You, as a consumer have the right to take your business somewhere else if you don't like how someone runs their business. Thus, suggesting an alternative (it would have to be government non-profit as no one else would WANT to do it that way) is in both our best interests. It is not in the interests of a corporation, but it might be if the alternative is being forced to act in a way that is also bad for business.

People have already stated why it's a good thing. Why do you support giving ISP's the right to impose restrictions on the legal and unharming use of their network based on what content you're accessing? It doesn't make any sense.

I just explained why it can also be a very BAD thing. You don't think it makes sense? Well read it again. If my Netflix or Hulu or whatever stops working during peak hours because of "Net Neutrality", how the hell is that BETTER for me?

Once you've paid for the access and data, it's yours to use however you like.

So you're saying, the hell on those people trying to make emergency phone calls on whatever cell network, give your movie you want to watch the same priority.... :rolleyes:

Yes, everything should be even, even when it makes no sense to do so. ;)

Sorry buddy but your claim that the FCC is taking over the Internet and ISP's is false.

The FCC represents the American public and given that an overwhelming majority support the regulator's efforts, you are just pointlessly scaremongering.

My view of prioritization with good reasoning for the benefit of those needing those services (even if they have to pay more for priority) is every bit as valid as yours, possibly more so since my view is FAR less SELF-CENTERED in its viewpoint (i.e. I put priority on the most needed services for a given amount of limited bandwidth whereas you put your priority at parity even if it means someone can't make a phone call after a 911 type disaster). ME ME ME. Me too.

You are continuing to prove that you know very little about the subject.

So now your definition of "knowing about the subject" means I have to agree with your point of view? :eek:

How will it make your internet service slower?

If they were prioritizing something I was doing before (e.g. live video sites over generic text, blog, news or download access) so that it WORKED and they now have to downgrade that priority so that you get your "equal" access no matter what the content is, then you have just made my service SLOWER. Worse yet, you've potentially downgraded or even BROKEN it if the bandwidth drops enough.

You are stretching the very definition of net neutrality to make this assumption. The FCC ruling bans throttling and paid prioritisation, not an ISP's own network management of certain services. For instance, you'll find that VoIP and streaming already get higher network priority than BitTorrent. The FCC ruling does not ban ISP's from managing traffic to ensure stability, as it explicitly states:

• No Throttling: broadband providers may not impair or degrade lawful Internet traffic on the basis of content, applications, services, or non-harmful devices.
  • No Paid Prioritization: broadband providers may not favor some lawful Internet traffic over other lawful traffic in exchange for consideration of any kind—in other words, no “fast lanes.” This rule also bans ISPs from prioritizing content and services of their

I must be BLIND. It blatantly says they CANNOT impair lawful traffic based on CONTENT yet you just told me they CAN prioritize VOIP or movies over torrents! Do you NOT SEE that 100% contradicts what you just said! ????

Wrong. The FCC ruling states that an ISP may not impair or degrade service.

You just told me they COULD degrade torrents in favor of VoIP. Which is it??? And yet you keep telling me it is I that don't understand Net Neutrality. It seems to me you are massively confused about it, giving me contradicting statements at every turn so you can say I don't get it when it's obvious to me YOU don't get it.

If you treat everyone TRULY EQUALLY on an ISP, that means NO ONE EVER GETS "PRIORITY" FOR ANY REASON WHAT-SO-EVER. If that breaks live video, so be it. If that means phone calls can't be made because I'm busy downloading and they have to give me at least the same bits as that phone calls (which won't work if it falls below a certain rate), then so be it! Without exceptions, that means even emergency phone calls can't be prioritized when bits are bits!

And it never will.

Never is a long time. :rolleyes:

The FCC ruling does not give it the power to control content, but the way this content is treated by your ISP. Please just stop.

I'd like to stop (this is really getting old and boring), but you apparently haven't looked at the other powers the FCC has been given (e.g. enforcing decency broadcasts over public carriers) and thus your interpretation of the ruling is completely flawed, IMO.

You have been proven wrong multiple times by people on this forum

I must have missed WHEN I was proven wrong since the only "proof" I've seen are links from Renzatic that didn't support what he was saying (I have been literally personally insulted by more than one person in this thread, however).

The rest seems to be wishful thinking that the FCC will only ever do what you want them to do despite the other laws in play and the reclassification of cable as a public broadcasting method that puts it in jeopardy of decency regulation and regulation for education, etc. Limited bandwidth is limited bandwidth (whether over-the-air frequency and encoding methods or cable capacity). Ironically, it is the very FCC change that makes this so, the one you support and think has no bearing on such things. But your own claims prove you wrong.

It all comes down to:

1> You think all traffic regardless of content should be treated equally

I'm assuming even if this means harm to other services including emergency phone calls since I see no exemptions mentioned anywhere by anyone pushing this Net Neutrality angle. I cannot agree here for the reasons given, ranging from the need for live services to function to emergency or other priority above "frivolous" access in times of actual need.

2> You don't believe the FCC has authority to control content of the Internet because they only control the gateways (ISPs).

That is a difference without distinction. If you can't access the information because it's been blocked due to being labeled "indecent" or whatever, you can't use it. Maybe someone in Europe could see your site, but no one will be able to in the USA if the FCC has stopped all ISPs from *transmitting* that site to anyone else.

3> You don't believe the FCC can control content because cable systems have traditionally been exempt under Class I and DSL was deregulated in 2005.

OH WAIT. It's ALL been classified as Class II for the first time. That means they CAN and DO have the authority to regulate what flows in and out of those servers. Existing law regulates decency content and the ONLY thing stopping them from applying that to cable has been that until now, it's been interpreted as a private subscription network and classified as such. Now that it is classified as common (public) carrier, I see now reason that should apply. This means they can now regulate Cable for content should they CHOOSE TO DO SO.

It's not ridiculous. It's 100% possible. The fact it hasn't happened just yet has NO BEARING on its possibility of being enforced should someone push for it within the FCC or a controlling government interest like Congress.

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
Blah Blah Blah...

I summarized your post for you.

You are wrong. Title II does not give them the power to censor content either on cable TV or on the internet. Thats why they never did it to sex phone lines. In fact, this would keep your ISP from censoring your internet traffic.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
Here's another take on what some tech companies are bragging as the Big Win.

"The Obama administration and proponents of the FCC’s version of net neutrality may be ecstatic at the passing of regulations that make the Internet a public utility on Feb. 26th, but not all FCC members are so sunny in their outlook for the future.

TechFreedom held a fireside chat on Feb. 27th with two FCC commissioners, Ajit Pai and Mike O’Rielly, and the two of them concurred that the new regulations are far-reaching, largely unchecked and pose a threat to consumer bills and to innovation in the industry.

Ajit Pai openly questioned what the problem was, saying, “There’s never been a systemic analysis of what the problem with the Internet is. In this order, you see scattered niche examples [Comcast and BitTorrent, Apple and FaceTime, others] all of which were resolved, mind you, through private sector initiatives.” He continued, saying that the FCC’s net neutrality regulatory regime is a solution that won’t work in search of a problem that doesn’t exist.” Essentially, this is, contrary to the assertion of activists and others, a vaguely justified power grab by a government agency."

http://m.watchdog.org/?url=http://watchdog.org/203631/fcc-commissioners-regulations/#2680

Renzatic

Suspended
Here's another take on what some tech companies are bragging as the Big Win.

"The Obama administration and proponents of the FCC’s version of net neutrality may be ecstatic at the passing of regulations that make the Internet a public utility on Feb. 26th, but not all FCC members are so sunny in their outlook for the future.

So what you're saying is that you don't trust the government, unless the government sides with you.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I'm not saying anything to any of you anymore until I see you quote EXACTLY the following.

Quote:
"I know more about Net Neutrality than Mark Cuban. Not only does he not know what he's talking about, but his decades of business experience in spaces related to this topic PALE in comparison to the level of knowledge that I possess on the issue. I understand the fact that Mark Cuban has amassed BILLIONS of dollars by creating wealth through businesses that had to, in part, consider the internet as one of the dynamic variables related to it. I also understand that even though I have managed to amass a completely insignificant amount of wealth compared to Mark Cuban, and even though I do not have any experience operating multi-hundred million dollar businesses directly related to this space, or creating self-directed wealth in general, and even though nobody even knows, or cares who I am, I am undeterred in my assertion that I (State your name) know more about net neutrality, business, and wealth creation than Mark Cuban. This is why he is wrong and I am right. I know more than Mark Cuban."

You either post that, or you admit that you're wrong by default. So let's hear it.

So, you're saying that Because Mark Cuban has billions of dollars, we MUST listen to what he has to say, because it must be in our best interest?

How did Mark Cuban make so much money? By selling broadcast.com to yahoo for $5.7 billion. This was more than 100 times broadcast.com's
yearly *revenues*, much less profits. He got lucky. If someone decided to give me $20,000,000 for my low-end townhome, that doesn't suddenly make me a brilliant real estate investor.

And no, I honestly don't care what a billionaire has to say about it, because he probably stands to make more money off it not happening. I wouldn't listen to Bernie Madoff about how to structure a financial business, either. And, given your posts on the subject, I'm betting this somehow hurts something you have your fingers in, which is why you fight it so adamantly.

IN other words...I don't think I'm smarter than Mark Cuban. I just don't trust someone like him. I certainly don't put him up on a pedestal and shed tears thinking about my adoration of him.

Last edited:

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
So, if it were one of your loved ones who had a health issue, would you just tell them, "too bad, so sad," and put them out to pasture?

BL.

Many of them, yes. They can move on to their next life and learn from this one.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
87582072_zps9818ef61.gif

wow I 've read some pretty strange posts on this forum, but this if it's your real feelings. :eek:

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Probably because it makes you look less tight to have it as a perk. I've personally always questioned whether private healthcare is worth paying the tax for - I don't think it would be at 40%.

Nope, we actually dropped our wage offerings. Now after I posted I did remember that we were hiring experienced people. Which I suspect means that the evaluation of the healthcare system is different for older people that it is for young people who don't on average really need a lot from the health care system.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Nope, we actually dropped our wage offerings. Now after I posted I did remember that we were hiring experienced people. Which I suspect means that the evaluation of the healthcare system is different for older people that it is for young people who don't on average really need a lot from the health care system.

Probably coincidence then. Because with higher wages people could buy their own health cover (or not).

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA

This is of course IMO an exaggeration based on (and I am not the poster of this comment) the experience that most of the people in this forum thinking that I should give all of my hard earned money to help people I don't know and who don't care to help themselves, simply because it is the 'politically correct' thing to do. 'Politically correct' here means 'makes the thinker able to sleep at night because it feels good to think this way, regardless of the consequences'.

We've never had a problem helping people in need in this country (US). What we have is a problem with politicians and the media creating what they want us to believe is a big problem so we can ceed to them our wealth and freedoms.

For example, my grandmother, lost both of her parents, and had polio between the ages of 10 and 15. No insurance, no vaccine, no welfare, no child services, no nothing except family. Of course most people with old values would not let family go without help and ours did not. She worked it out. Was it hard? Yes, it was. And that is the crux of it, certain people think that its better/simpler/easier to take from the benefits of my hard work rather than work hard themselves.

My wife and I had our child with no insurance and we worked everything out with the doctors and hospital, no problem for us or them, we simply worked it out. That is how it used to be, until the government got involved and all of the do-gooders thinking that we have to have a law in order to help people. I know this is just two examples, but as a youth most of the older people I knew had a similar story. It was possible to work through anything, If you wanted to.

It used to be you could walk into any hospital in the country and get treatment even if you could not afford it. The hospitals considered it giving back to the community. Government regulation prohibits that now. Why? Because if we help ourselves then we have no need for government.

Think about this from a different angle, If you ran a government in some hinterland and wanted to control all of the people, what would you do. Simple, history is filled with examples go read about it (and start with Nazi Germany, Why? because we are like them, no, because it is a great recent summary of a recurring theme in history).

First get rid of guns, without guns there is no practical way for people to resist the government and greatly lessens the risks to politicians.

Second, make a bunch of do-gooder laws to make people think you are looking out for them (e.g. Nazi Germany outlawed smoking in the late 1030's, nationalized charities, created a public health care system, etc. all of which were later used to control the people, pay particular close attention to the public healthcare system being used for sterilization of non-politically correct groups of people.)

Thirdly, create a crisis that forces simple thinkers to ceed their freedoms and money to the government. Middle east countries do it by the "hate America" policy. Our government does it by the 'We need to help the less fortunate', 'global warming is killing the planet', or 'the terrorists are going to kill us' policies. If you think this through, then you will see that this line of thinking is the only line of thinking that explains all of the senseless things our government does. But you have to be willing to think past the headlines and 144 character snippets and you have to have an honest understanding of history (probably more than one receives in school.)

The only thing that keeps the historical predicable outcome, which is the destruction of freedom, from happening is young people waking up before it is too late.

Last edited:

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I summarized your post for you.

You are wrong. Title II does not give them the power to censor content either on cable TV or on the internet. Thats why they never did it to sex phone lines. In fact, this would keep your ISP from censoring your internet traffic.

Really, no one has seen the 300 pages of regulations. WHY? No one is asking why the regulations are not public? Or why the regulations were not made public before the vote?

I'll bet when they are released there will be several somethings along the lines of "...and whatever authority the director of the FCC deems necessary."

I certainly hope we can come back here in a few years time and you can say "See I told you so!". But the authority will be there and it will be a few years before they start exercising it. That is how the government takes control. If it was really about doing the right thing, the text of the regulation would be public now so they could take credit for it. Same reasoning as ObamaCare, don't let anyone see it until it is too late to do anything about it.

Last edited:

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
All I know is when we made offers, they were turned down and the reason given was no private healthcare. When we started offering private healthcare coverage, people started accepting our offers.

And I said nothing of the majority. I said the middle class people that we tried to hire, which meant, for us in our region (48 km south of central London) people who had the opportunity and expected to take jobs with private healthcare coverage.

We tried to find out what percentage of people had private health coverage and at the time it was, surprisingly, not tracked. While that was a few years ago I cannot imagine it has changed for the better.

The Netherlands has one of the best Health Services in the world.

Top rate for insurance is €125 per month.

Unless the UK has widley different rates, I find it hard to believe that Private health care cost was such a big deal.

Renzatic

Suspended
Really, no one has seen the 300 pages of regulations. WHY? No one is asking why the regulations are not public. Or why the regulations were not made public before the vote?

I'll bet when they are released there will be several somethings along the lines of "...and whatever authority the director of the FCC deems necessary."

I certainly hope we can come back here in a few years time and you can say "See I told you so!". But the authority will be there and it will be a few years before they start exercising it. That is how the government takes control. If it was really about doing the right thing, the text of the regulation would be public now so they could take credit for it. Same reasoning as ObamaCare, don't let anyone see it until it is too late to do anything about it.

Yeah, we all know how those Obamacare regulations turned out. What with having to sacrifice our firstborns with the blood of gentile children to appease or captivatingly Kenyan overlord before we can get hope to get seen by a doctor. It was obviously a ploy to control the American people, and not at all what everyone who wasn't paranoid thought it'd be. NOW IT'S TOO LATE!

Also, the FCC doesn't generally release their plans to the public while they're still works in progress. Like I said before, this isn't something that effects the American people. It's just a communications standard that only effects last mile ISPs, why does it need to be released and poured over by the public?

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
On topic, a bit of good news for the freedom-loving open-internet haters: Ms. Blackburn of Tennessee has submitted a bill to quash the FCC's entire net neutrality policy decision, and she has an entourage of at least 30 co-sponsors.

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
Really, no one has seen the 300 pages of regulations. WHY? No one is asking why the regulations are not public? Or why the regulations were not made public before the vote?

You keep citing Obama care as if it is a bad thing. It's not. Most people see it as a good thing. It's working. But that's not what we are talking about here. Regulating the ISPs under title II is something that should have been done the moment the cable providers started offering Internet. They did it with DSL and should have expanded it to cable ISPs, but they were sold out by the head of the FCC who is a lobbyist for the industry.

----------

On topic, a bit of good news for the freedom-loving open-internet haters: Ms. Blackburn of Tennessee has submitted a bill to quash the FCC's entire net neutrality policy decision, and she has an entourage of at least 30 co-sponsors.

It'll hopefully be vetoed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.