FCE creates a new folder every time I open it

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by fef714, May 18, 2009.

1. fef714 macrumors regular

As you know, Final Cut Express needs six folders for a project-

Austosave Vault, Thumbnail Chache Files, Waveform Cache Files, Render Files, Capture Scratch, and Audio Render Files

All these are [usually] in a folder called 'Final Cut Express Documents'

Until recently I kept all this in the Documents folder, but when I was reorganizing my files, I decided that I should keep all my Final Cut stuff in the Movies folder.

So I moved the 'FCE Docs' folder and it's contents to Movies, and then went to the 'system settings' in the Final Cut Express menu (picture 1) so FCE would recognize the change of location.

This part is fine, all the media stayed online, and the new render files are saved in Movies. BUT when I open Final Cut, it will create a new folder called Final Cut Express Documents where the old one was (Documents). It will not create another one if one is already there.

The unwanted folder is left empty, because all the things that were kept in it are now in Movies. But I don't want it to make this folder in the first place.

The only things I can think of is if there is still some setting in FCE that I have missed.

And I know I should be using an external hdd, but I'm not, and if somebody can come up with a compelling enough argument (along with a good answer), I might choose to make the switch.

Edit: So there is no confusion, I am having no trouble using FCE itself, but I am just annoyed at the unneeded folder.

Attached Files:

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

When you change your scratch disk settings, do you have a project open? If so, I think maybe you're changing the setting just for your specific project.

Try closing the project so nothing is open, then changing your scratch disk.

3. fef714 thread starter macrumors regular

Just tried this, and it does the same thing.

4. SomeTechGuy macrumors newbie

SomeTechGuy

I'd love to know the answer too since I have the exact same problem.

5. fef714 thread starter macrumors regular

If you ever find out how to fix this, post it here! Over the past month I have just givin in and ignored the empty folder, but it would be nice to know how to get rid of it.

6. jla930 macrumors member

From the picture you posted, I can tell that you changed the locations for Waveform Cache, Thumbnail Cache, and Autosave Vault. But did you change the location of your scratch disk? It's hard to tell from the picture, as the entire path can't be seen.

7. fef714 thread starter macrumors regular

Isn't scratch disk the actual hard-drive? or is it a separate folder

8. jla930 macrumors member

The scratch disk is a folder on your hard drive. You can change it by clicking the Set button.

I'm going to take a guess as to what's happening:

1) You changed the location of the cache folders, but you didn't change the scratch disk location?

2) In that circumstance, I think FCE will create a Final Cut Express Documents folder in the DEFAULT scratch disk location, if that folder and its subfolders aren't already there. The default path is <your name>/Documents/Final Cut Express Documents. This is where you keep seeing the FCE Documents folder reappear.

Try changing the scratch disk path by clicking the set button. Change it to the same folder that you set the cache folder locations. See if that helps.

Try it, see if it works. I hope I'm right and that I'm not screwing things up.

9. fef714 thread starter macrumors regular

I just did this and it still makes a folder in documents.

note: the folder in docs, is blank and does not seem to have a purpose.

10. jla930 macrumors member

The only other thing I can suggest trying is trashing your FCE preferences. Don't worry, they'll be recreated.

See this link:

http://fcpbook.com/Misc1.html

When programs start acting funny, trashing the preferences files often helps.

11. fef714 thread starter macrumors regular

It won't delete any of my projects/project data will it?

12. jla930 macrumors member

Nope.

(If you have a Favorites bin in the Effects tab, it will be lost. See the explanation at the top of the linked page.)

13. fef714 thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome! I have Leopard, so the program won't work (or so it says), but it shows how to delete the files manually.

Thanks I hope it works!!

14. jla930 macrumors member

Let us know if it worked. If it didn't, then I'm afraid I'm stumped.

15. fef714 thread starter macrumors regular

16. fef714 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, it seems like it is working. Right now it is in the process of cleaning up my hdd, something that I have been meaning to do, but the site reminded me.

(Right now I am on my old/lame pc. :eek:)

17. fef714 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, this just got wierd(er). When I started up FCE after I cleaned out the files, it asked me where I wanted my scratch disk, so I chose the Movies folder, and IT STILL PUT IT IN DOCUMENTS!!!!

18. jla930 macrumors member

GREAT!

19. jla930 macrumors member

Oh, no!!! Sorry, I don't have any more suggestions. You may want to try posting in the Apple support forum.

20. fef714 thread starter macrumors regular

Ya, idk, I will try it one more time, and if it doesn't work I will personally sue Steve Jobs for the creation of a blank folder in my Documents. ;)

21. jla930 macrumors member

And I'm going to sue Steve Wozniak for appearing on "Dancing With the Stars". :p

22. fef714 thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe we can be the first people to ever win a lawsuit against Apple!! :rolleyes:

23. solomare macrumors newbie

Hi, I have exactly the same problem. I noticed that the thread hasn't got to a solution. Any update on this subject? The thread is more than one year old... Thanks.
    Just to let you know, on July 6th 2010 I posted the same question on the Apple Forum (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2495479&tstart=15) but so far haven't got any solution to the problem. :confused:
    Kind regards

24. fef714 thread starter macrumors regular

I never got a solution, and I have tried everything. I've even gone so far as to re-install Final Cut, but nothing worked. :(

Over the past year I've just dealt with it, but it is still annoying. If you ever do find a solution and you reposted here, I would really appreciate that. :eek: