FCPX feathering video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by harddriveowner, Jan 28, 2012.

1. harddriveowner macrumors member

I have spent hours trying to finger out how to do the equivalent of the Rectangle Mask tool in Motion 5 (or the Select Tool in Photoshop with the amount of feathering as an option) so that the video is 'feathered'. I want to be able to feather without having to go back into Motion since with the new versions of FCPX and Motion 5, you just cannot move back and forth between programs. Any ideas?

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Build a template in Motion then publish it as an effect. Andy Neill has posted a tutorial to exactly your problem on the Holy Cow.

3. harddriveowner thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much for the response. It was exactly what I was looking for. It would have been nice if he made the effect available for free downloading like so many others have done for the various gaps in effects etc that exist in FCPX. It would have been nicer if Apple had made feathering a standard option for FCPX.
    Feathering is such a basic tool that I could not believe that it was not built in already.

4. WRP macrumors 6502a

Exactly why all of us PROs think FCPX (and motion) is a goddamn joke.

5. mBox macrumors 68020

Nice still pissed about spending that 300 bucks huh? Wow that must have hit your books hard :p
    Lets see we just paid Avid another 2k for yearly support.
    Hmmm what can I bitch to tech support about so I can recoup that money...
    Get over it and move on fellow professional user.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Does Apple even offer professional grade tech support for FCPX?

Because 2K sure sounds better than impossible.

7. mBox macrumors 68020

I doubt it. Most support I get are from CreativeCow, fcp.co and Google.
    Everyone is up in arms about Apple avoiding the Pro world.
    Im fine with it as long as they still make Mac Pro's.
    There are other options in the NLE world.
    I just happen to enjoy FCPX and glad I had a positive start.
    Does it replace FCP? At my work yes. Since we're dominantly Avid.
    Did FCS go away? Nope still on a few computers used daily.

If you have any tech questions Im sure most of us will try and answer without the trolling attitude :)

8. WRP macrumors 6502a

I own every NLE that works on OS X. I have no problem spending the money because I've got it and I need to know anything should it come up.

I'm more pissed that a product I put the last 10 years of my business into decided to jump the shark and become a total piece of ****.

9. mBox macrumors 68020

Everyone feels for you. But respect the ops question and try to help. If you want to vent, I can send a list of links to add your woes.
    We've all been there and its just part of life.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, FCX has its faults, but complaining because the largest feather you can do is this:

[​IMG]

...is a bit silly.

Yes, I agree it's not the most amazing feather in the world, but come on. Now we're complaining because the feathering "isn't large enough?"

I seem to recall that Avid doesn't have the most amazing compositing tools either. I was always exporting stuff to After Effects from Avid and yet that didn't seem to make Avid a 'joke' to anyone.

(OP - In FCX, Make a mask using the mask effect, and feather that. It's in the 'keying' section of effects.)

11. WRP macrumors 6502a

I wasn't complaining it couldn't feather a border I was complaining it can't do the simplest task without some roundabout bullshat. It's common DVE stuff that you could do in imovie years ago and you can't even do it in their "PRO" app easily. Awesome move Apple.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Dragging a filter to a clip and then dragging a slider is "roundabout bull?"

You sure have different expectations of software than I do. I would have described that as 'easy.'

13. WRP, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2012

WRP macrumors 6502a

You shouldn't need a filter to adjust the properties of a clip. An effect filter is an effect. Scale, opacity, distortion, etc shouldn't need to be a filter...

As the second post shows you need to "build an effect in motion" to get the simplest of things done is moronic. FCPX is a gigantic step backwards, not forwards. I have been a loyal FCP professional for over a decade. This monstrosity is a slap in the face.

14. simsaladimbamba

While that is true with FCP 7 and earlier, Avid Media Composer still needs effects for this. Or am I missing something?

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, 'edge feather' isn't even a basic clip property in After Effects. I kind of figured AE would be the gold standard here. If you're expecting something to be better than After Effects, then yeah. You're gonna be disappointed.

16. WRP macrumors 6502a

Did I say all NLE's worked this way? I said that they took functionality away from something. It USED to be a basic function that THEIR software used to incorporate and they crippled it by taking **** away. Why do you guys take this **** and like it? Why are you kissing the hand that is crushing you? This is possibly the biggest steamiest pile of crap dumped on professionals chests and you guys just think it's A OK.

17. mBox macrumors 68020

Sad isnt it...

Someone asks a question these days and most answer back with jaded comments that the world should have an EASY button.
    Hmm back in my day with (VideoVision then Media100) you could ask anyone via email or irc for tips and tricks and you would get a group joining in with help like the grassroots days.
    Now its a freakin WHAMBULANCE remark from trollers :p
    I guess I learned my lessons from all the other apps that had some major changes due to the nature of the business.
    If youre a real pro, you would have know how to deal with it.
    I guess you can always blame it on Apple when the suck factor of your work goes high.
    Im sure your clients will understand :p
    LOL!

18. WRP macrumors 6502a

Since when is AE an NLE? I explained they TOOK A USEFUL TOOL AWAY. Crowbar that into your cranium. And yes, BTW edge feathering is built into AE. Make a mask and feather it. You aren't adding a filter to a clip to do a simple DVE function.

----------

If you emailed M100 back in the day you were probably getting your answers from me.

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Sorry. I just don't consider "they moved it from this panel to that panel" to be "crushing me."

I'm actually laughing now that you're "crushed" by the fact that they moved it to a different window.

The whole tape-control issue is a REAL problem. Complain about that. But moving something to another window? Not really the same level of problem.

Your definition of "took a tool away" is just weird. Ok, yeah, they took it form the top of the screen to the bottom right part of the screen.

Scary stuff.

20. mBox, Jan 30, 2012

mBox macrumors 68020

Now I see why your so jaded :)
    It isnt that easy in AE trust me. I teach it.
    You have to bring the Mask concept into play as well as transform tools to beginners.
    Look I feel your pain, I have to deal with Avid all the time.
    But Apple didnt force FCPX down your throat.
    I mean the money invested in FCS from my experience is nothing compared to Avid.
    I started with their Meridien system then Adrenaline and now Nitris.
    The Apple tax is no where near what Avid has raped everyone else :p

21. Small White Car, Jan 30, 2012

Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If I were smarter I could figure out how this:

Is different from this:

But because I'm dumb they look the same to me. Clearly I can't see the subtle differences that make these 2 things so very different.

22. mBox macrumors 68020

Funny you mentioned tape. We just sent off our Sony BetaCams and SVHS decks for cleaning. What waste, I havent pulled anything off those in 3 years :p

23. WRP, Jan 30, 2012

WRP macrumors 6502a

A plugin effect is something that needs to be rendered dealing with additional code and takes time. A mask in AE isn't dealing with additional code to get something done. The more "effects" and plugins you deal with the longer something takes. Adding a plugin to a clip equals longer render time where masks built into AE is no big deal. Not to mention AE deals with rendering way better than FCPX.

It's obvious you [have] no clue how your software works.

24. Small White Car, Jan 30, 2012

Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, that's nice, but I sure spend way, WAY more time rendering in AE than I do in any NLE.

So it's great to know the theory behind it, but all I care about is the real-world results. And for me, that often means very little rendering in any version of Final Cut and lots and lots of waiting for After Effects.

25. WRP, Jan 30, 2012

WRP macrumors 6502a

That's because it is a composting application not an NLE.... :confused:

Wouldn't you expect to do more rendering in a 3D application over FCP?