FCS3 Tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mtfield, Apr 20, 2009.

1. mtfield macrumors 6502

What do you think? any chance for FCS 3 to come out tomorrow? This week is NAB and tomorrow is a Tuesday... just saying..

2. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Nope.

3. tri3limited macrumors 6502

Agreed!! Lets all remember that Apple aren't exhibiting this year.

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

that has nothing to do with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're waiting for Snow Leopard.

5. ccuk macrumors regular

I tend to agree.

6. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Definitely on the Snow Leopard. Apple doesn't want their new OS to be the bane of FCP users existence like Leopard was.

But I still think even after SL is out on the market, even with an update or two, we won't see FCS3 until at least late fall/early January.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I don't know if Apple can afford to wait that long. That'll make FSC2 nearly three years old and Apple, as of yet, has not done any real updates to the software (just some small bug fixes and additional codec support).

Lethal

8. Reach macrumors 6502a

Agreed. Granted, it works, but they really should be ashamed at what Color for example has been this long; I expected them to upgrade some things a little sooner.

And shipping with a new OS is pretty stupid, a lot of pro's wait a long time before upgrading their OS, so demanding a bradn new SL would rule out the update for quite a lot I guess.

9. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

I suppose Quicktime X or whatever they decide to call it may be what's holding FCS3 back. If it was anywhere near ready it would have made sense to have announced it over the past couple of days.

10. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Apple's out of the whole business of releasing software to coincide with events or conferences. Once Snow Leopard's out, look for FCS3. Quicktime X is where it's at.

irmongoose

11. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Why? Color is one of the most powerful/professional apps in the bundle. It was one of the key reasons I upgraded from FCS1. Because Apple didn't skin the UI to their liking, they should be ashamed? No way.

12. Reach macrumors 6502a

I love the app too. But I do not think this is the kind of usability Apple wants in it's apps. It's got nothing to do with skin, it's got to do with usability and integration with the rest of the apps.

If you think it's perfect, good for you; I think it's good but still in need of an update. It's been the way it is for quite a while now.

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Events/conferences aside Apple needs to be in the business of releasing updates to keep up w/its competitors. Adobe and Avid have released some very impressive updates since FCS2 came out 2 years ago. The momentum Apple built starting around FCP 4.5 has faded and 'good enough because it's cheap' doesn't cut it much anymore because both Adobe and Avid and much more competitive in the 'bang for the buck' area than they were 5 years ago.

I agree w/Reach that there is a ton of room for improvement for round-tripping between FCP and Color. IMO it's basically broken because of the ridiculous amount of hoops you have to jump through to make a "Color safe" sequence in FCP. It's like taking a vacation to an exotic island in the middle of the Pacific. Sure, the island is beautiful but getting there and back is a royal pain the butt.

Lethal

14. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

This is very true, especially since the production premium offers users Photoshop Extended, Illustrator, and Flash, plus the still industry standard After Effects. Premier Pro is surprisingly just as fluid to use as FCP, and Encore DVD just puts DVD Studio to shame.

This all for $1700 is a deal and worth the extra $400 in price.

The biggest hurdle I've come across with Color is workflow. FCP used to be touted as an app that allowed you to edit without restrictions. Not being able to (I can't find out how to do this most likely) just open a single clip in Color to tweak it is a bit of a nuisance.

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you want to import a single clip into Color you can navigate to it via the Setup room and then hit command+i to import it.

Lethal

16. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

While I would like to see an updated FCP/FCS tomorrow I think we'll have to wait until the fall.

17. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Yeah, they can give Color a lick of paint once they sorted out the dry rot and subsidence. It frustratingly offers so much, but can deliver so little of it because it has so many little issues.

Adobe's Production Premium bundle has stopped FCS looking such great value. It integrates brilliantly from what I've seen, and with Color, Apple has taken a comparative back-step. And not only is Avid a great editor, but the recentness of its price-drop means at the moment it has this feeling of getting real top-end stuff at fire-sale prices. Apple got a lot more people into editing and post-production, but it risks losing a sizeable chunk of them if it doesn't look to have any interest in keeping up with the pack.

18. iMacmatician macrumors 601

WWDC?

19. Chris7 macrumors 6502

Interesting that Shake would be getting updated. I thought that program was not going to be updated anymore.

20. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

By 'Shake' I think they mean that rumored Shake replacement known as Phenomenon that was supposedly to come out in '08.

Lethal

21. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

Shake!

This IS interesting. It could be an embarrassment for apple. I'm afraid the industry has moved on from shake (or at least those still using it have customised the source code)

I have it from my favorite Apple source that development on Phenomenon/shake v5 has completely ceased. Don't be holding your breath for an update. Can't say any more (there's nothing else to say - phenomenon ain't happening ;) )

22. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

So yer saying a completely unfounded, two year old rumor is not true? Really? ;)

Lethal

23. Chris7 macrumors 6502

The most interesting thing about FCS3 for me would be improvements to Motion. Would love to see it evolve into an Apple version of After Effects, but with RT and better integration with FCS. (I don’t think my MBP could handle either AE or Motion very well, but I'm starting to feel a little constrained by just FCP, so still planning…).

Besides Blue Ray support, what does Encore DVD have over DVD Studio Pro? I actually have both apps, but haven’t used Encore DVD. In DVD SP, the text always looks jagged and has stair stepping for me, but perhaps I just don’t know how to use it correctly yet. Is DVD SP any better in this respect? Does it play nice with FCP/Compressor?

OK, that makes sense. And thanks for your response on the “FCS3 in NAB” thread (didn't want to comment there and bring it to the front).

Hey fluidedge, is that the icon from badgerbadgerbadger? Funny -- that video was pretty popular with my friends and I when it came out.:p

-Chris

24. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Encore has one option (besides BluRay) that I'm really jealous of... It can export your DVD as a self-contained flash webpage.

not sure how well it works, but that's just cool.

25. masterslacker macrumors member

So what software package do you recommend for someone just getting into video editing for doing all the composite stuff that Shake currently offers? I was just getting ready to pull the trigger on purchasing Shake 4.1 but now I'm confused.

Thx.