FE exam

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, May 11, 2009.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

So I took this like a year and a half ago and passed

However, I relaized I no longer have "proof" that I have passed it

Is there a way to remedy this lol. No way in hell im taking that test again

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I'm assuming, according to what it says on their site, that they must have a record of it somewhere.

Now you need 4 years of experience?

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

i hope they have record

yea 4 years prior to PE test eligibility

4. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

Try contacting to your state's licensing board. They might have a record of it.. :confused:

Like an idiot, I didn't take it when I should have and forgot everything. I just took it this past April. I'm crossing my fingers that I passed!

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

The state where you took the test will have a record. You could also try contacting NCEES about it. You'll be doing that when you take the P&P, anyway.

Incidentally, I don't know how long you've been out of college, but the 4-year clock begins ticking after you (1) get your Bachelor's degree, and (2) begin working under the supervision of a P.E. You can pass the FE as early as a year before you take the P&P, as long as you have 4 total years under a P.E. after graduation.

6. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

they should always have a record correct? its not urgent but id like to be able to get a copy of the cert once i d need it

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yeah, the state where you took and passed the test will have it. They keep those records because when you send in that mountain of paperwork for the P&P exam your application will request that record be forwarded to the state board. I paid the $10 for the EIT certificate when I passed, but I don't remember ever seeing anything sent to me during my application for the P&P - I'm pretty sure the state board just looked it up.

BTW, start documenting your professional experience right away. It's a major headache to do it later. Please trust me on this. :eek:

8. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

Other than the FE cert, what else should I be doing? collecting awards from work?

i appreciate your advice

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I'm taking mine next Fall... any recommendations for it?

10. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

attend review sessions

thats all i did. its a nice refreasher for the topics

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Glad to help - I had recently changed jobs when I was getting ready for the P&P and I didn't have a "mentor" or someone who had been there before in the office with me.

Awards are okay, but the part that's the most work, and the hardest to get down the road, is documentation of your experience. The two things they look for is (1) the work was done under the supervision of a P.E., and (2) your experience and level of responsibility grows over the course of the 4 years. You can usually download the Supplemental Experience Record (SER) forms either from your state board website, or from NCEES. Become familiar with what those forms are asking for and begin documenting all your projects and work experience.

When you turn it in with your application, it needs to be written in first-person narrative form; like "I designed cooling systems for critical data facilities for three clients..." and so on. I had eight years of work experience at the time and ended up with 12 pages of SER's. And these need to be sent to the P.E.'s who supervised you (these will also serve as your references), and they will in turn send them confidentially to the state board on your behalf.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it would be SO much easier to do it as you actually earn the experience; I had to do all mine after the fact, which made it a major chore.

BTW, my registration is in Texas - I don't suspect the process is much different in other states, but you should check. And good luck!

For the FE exam, get a review manual with practice tests - a review course might be good, I didn't take one so I can't vouch for them - but the practice tests are great for giving you an idea of what to expect during the test.

Also, you might be tempted to take the discipline-specific test in the afternoon section; my advice is to take the general test. That way, you're studying the same information for both halves of the test. Just remember the problems in the afternoon are longer and more difficult, but the subject matter is the same as the morning if you take the general test.

12. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

If you change jobs much make sure you keep a good list of contacts. I was in the military and trying to go back to find five different references that were familiar with my work was really quite challenging. Good Luck.

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

+1 - and I don't think there's a rule against filling out your SER's early. It might be a good idea to fill one out once a year and have your supervisor go over it with you.