Feature that doesn't exist

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Z8beema, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

Maybe this is a small insignificant idea but when text come in, it would save battery to not have the phone`a screen go on every time. I have a pair of smart watches so I don't need the screen to go on every time. Small but could help battery

2. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

why don't you set the notification to not appear on the lock screen? Problem solved.

3. Z8beema thread starter macrumors 6502

Z8beema

That's a fair point but at the loss of a very convenient feature.

4. xero9 macrumors 6502a

Isn't there a phone out there that only illuminates a small section of the screen for notifications like this? Maybe the iPhone 6 will have something similar.

5. Z8beema thread starter macrumors 6502

Z8beema

I would like it as an option. Right now I'm in between iPhones and waiting on the 6. By no means would I ever prefer an Android to an iPhone but I noticed my back up phone doesn't light up every time I have a text. This might be because of the led notification light but I find that it's convenient enough for me to look sty my watch and determine if I want to respond now our at all with a secondary benefit of saving battery

6. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I don't understand your dilemma. You'd prefer to not have the screen illuminate when you get a notification yet, when offered a solution, you state you'd miss the feature. :confused: You can still get notifications on your smart watch without having them displayed on the lockscreen.

----------

The Moto X has this functionality--it's called Active Notifications. The obstacle to having this functionality on an iPhone is Apple's use of LCD displays. The Moto X has a Super AMOLED display which allows for the illumination of only certain pixels--an LCD cannot do this, it's either all on or off.

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm not quite sure I follow his logic either. Don't want the screen to light up? turn off the lockscreen notification. Done.

8. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I think he's saying he wants the notifications visible on the lock screen so that he can CHOOSE to wake the screen up and see the notifications; but he doesn't want the screen to turn on for a few seconds each notification.

Which, if you have a Pebble or similar, is understandable - you view it "fresh" on your smartwatch; but if you want to see it and other missed ones later, you wake up your phone and look at them on the lock screen.

Although unless you get notifications CONSTANTLY (1 every 5 minutes or more often,) I don't see it as having a noticeable impact on battery life.

If you want to test, turn off lock screen notifications (which, yes, will have you miss out on the notifications,) and run that way for a couple days, see if it makes a noticeable impact on your battery life. Of course, if I were to turn off notifications, I would use my phone less, since a decent portion of my phone usage is responding to those notifications...

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

10. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Considering all the leaked photos of the iphone 6 casing shows a cut-out apple logo I wouldnt be surprised if the new LED notification on the iphone 6 makes the Apple logo light up.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

As much as I'd like to have a notification LED that would probably be somewhat more than necessary--for accessibility reasons it'd possibly be better than the flash ones that are there currently, but for normal reasons, a more typical LED (much smaller one) would be better.

12. pdjudd macrumors 601

I doubt that it’s an illuminated light. Its more than likely to allow for communication to go through for certain signals.

13. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

with your watch on... turn on do not disturb. watch off, turn off do not disturb. try it, it might work.

14. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

If you like other notifications to light up the screen just not text messages then turn off just the messages show on lock screen. won't effect any other app. I'm just guessing that's what you want.

15. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

Old days the LCD just use to change the screen without the backlight turning on at all. Good enough to read time or see a notification. Not sure why new phones can't just do the same.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like notifications for messages and everything else are still wanted (on the lockscreen and other places), just that the screen wouldn't come on when they come in while the phone is locked.

----------

How would it work without backlight?

17. Z8beema thread starter macrumors 6502

Z8beema

This is exactly what I'm talking about

----------

Would love one

----------

18. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

That was another thought I had as well.

19. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

You're thinking of old "reflective" LCD screens - those were designed to be readable with no backlight, only front lighting. Color reflective LCD screens generally were terrible (the original Game Boy Advance SP has probably the very best one ever made, and it wasn't great.) And if you wanted to light it, you had to use a front-light, which is generally very uneven (again, the Game Boy Advance SP had what was probably the best one.) You're not going to get a reflective Retina Display.

Most LCDs we use today are "transmissive" - they basically require a backlight to be usable. Turn the brightness all the way off on your MacBook and you'll see how REALLY hard it is to see a transmissive LCD without a backlight.

20. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

If he didn't always have the watch on then he would have to be constantly changing the setting.

Personally I would like it if Apple put a small LED behind the home button (Or make the ring light up somehow. Then it could just softly pulsate a specific color for different notifications. It is one thing I missed after switching to a nexus 5 for two weeks.

21. Z8beema thread starter macrumors 6502

Z8beema

Only think I miss from Android... Led notification light and Swype...we're getting at least one in a couple months

22. TnIan macrumors member

I've never understood the lack of a LED notification light on iPhones.

23. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

3 words... DO NO DISTURB ;). Works when I'm in meetings. When I wake up screen I have the notifications waiting for me my friend :)

24. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

Yes was thinking old SonyErricson phone. The screen while off was more light grey compared to the iPhone screens dark grey, still it was colour and I thought back lite but it was a while back.

To me if they could match that with current tech so the phone could have largish text for time and notifications it would be better than a dual colour LED.

25. Z8beema thread starter macrumors 6502

Z8beema

Doesn't come through on my watch then