Features the iPhone 6 Plus has that the iPhone 6 doesn't

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ethanwa79, Sep 13, 2014.

1. ethanwa79, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

ethanwa79 macrumors regular

Thought I would make a list. Correct me if I am wrong.

Note: This is not to say that the iPhone 6 Plus is better (some people, like myself, per the 4.7 inch model) but I thought it would be good to show people what extras you get going with the Plus.

iPhone 6 Plus bonus features:

• 5.5 inch screen
    • Talk time: An additional 10 hours on 3G
    • Standby Time: An additional 6 days
    • Internet Use: An additional 2 hours on 3G, 2 hours on LTE, 1 hour on Wi-Fi
    • Video playback: An additional 3 hours
    • Audio playback: An additional 30 hours
    • Higher pixel density (401 ppi)
    • Full 1080 HD
    • Optical image stabilization with the back camera
    • iOS 8 landscape mode
    • RUMOR: 2GB RAM

Downsides:
    • Heavier
    • Thinker
    • Lower contrast ratio

Am I missing anything?

2. cheezeit macrumors 6502

Landscape mode. Double tap to shrink the screen? Although I think this may be on both

3. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Double tap is on both.

You did forget one downside: non-native resolution scaling of (it seems) all apps. 1080p isn't the native resolution, so there will be a bit (and probably not noticeable with Apple's software skills) software interactions to get to a 1:1 pixel presentation.

4. entraik macrumors 6502a

the only things that matter are the battery life and OIS. lol. And that doesn't justify such a large/tall phone imo. Day to day use and convenience is way more important.

6+ is for people who don't move much
    6 is for people that need their phone at the gym, and are on the go moreso.

Landscape mode already exists for jailbreak so it'll be on the 6 in no time.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Features the iPhone 6 Plus has that the iPhone 6 doesn't

1080p is the native resolution.

It just doesn't render at that resolution. It does sound like a mess.

6. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

I'm willing to give Apple a couple weeks of trying it out. If it doesn't work out well, I'll return it and get an iPhone 6 instead.. I have a feeling that Apple wouldn't put out a "mess" as their flagship product, however.

7. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

Double tap better be an option to turn off or im gonna be pissed... Always having to lock the screen...

8. IlliniGuy76 macrumors regular

If you're someone who uses their phone often, you're already charging your phone at some point during the day. The minimal advanced battery life when on LTE or Wi-Fi is miniscule. The additional talk time on LTE is miniscule.

That's why it cracks me up when people point to that as a selling point on the 6+.

9. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

I don't charge my iPhone during the day, and I use it quite a lot. It does die at quitting time for me, though, so I will be pleased not to have to worry about that at all with the 6+ I think it's a fair selling point. the optical image stabilization is a better one, though, as increased camera abilities are important for me since I have 100% gotten rid of my point-and-shoot.

10. Ayr macrumors 6502

Nah. Going to the gym? That's super casual, you only need trainers for that. You don't choose a type of phone around it.

People who're really on the go will use the larger iP6+ as it doubles as a tablet when traveling (read books when camping in long lonely treks, watch movies on planes etc), and use a GPS watch when hiking/mountaineering/cycling/ultras etc and leave the phone completely at home.

iP6+ is smaller than a phone and tablet. Which is why I gave away both iPads and am getting it. For sports and outdoors use I have a Fenix 2 which doesn't need tethered to a phone or anything ridiculous.

11. Azzin macrumors 68040

Surely the people that have ordered the 6 or the Plus already know the differences, that's why they have ordered what they have.

Or are you suggesting that everyone made uninformed decisions, but it's ok, because your thread is here to educate & enlighten them?

These threads are uber tiresome now, the mods should delete all "6 v 6+" type threads IMO.

12. brauliojr macrumors member

brauliojr

Considering the same A8 chip, the 6+ will probably be a little bit slow than 6 because of the higher display resolution.

13. zbarvian macrumors 68010

I think you can consolidate all of those into 3 main points. Wait, no, I'll do a iPhone 6 version now:

- 6.9mm thin
    - 2/1000m less thick
    - higher contrast
    - deeper blacks
    - richer colors
    - punchy reds
    - vivid blues
    - smaller
    - more pocketable
    - easier to hold
    - can use one-handed
    - no thumb gymnastics
    - potentially better performance from pushing less pixels
    - not as many slowdowns or graphical hang-ups
    - smoother gameplay
    - my phone go fast

It would appear we are evenly matched, sir.

14. Gaprofitt macrumors regular

As a professional photographer I think people are downplaying the OIS. This is a huge feature for those that use the phone for a lot of pictures. It will allow you to shoot at much slower shutter speeds and still get super sharp pictures. I think it's a must if you love taking pics with the iPhone.

15. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The iPhone 6+ has a chick magnet. The 6 does not.

Consider that when selecting.

16. zbarvian macrumors 68010

As a professional non-photographer I think people are up-playing the OIS. It's really a forgettable feature if you don't take tons of quality pictures.

17. Primus84 macrumors 6502

As someone who has recently taken up photography, optical stabilisation is hugely useful!

18. Dreamliner330, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

Dreamliner330 macrumors 6502a

OIS almost always produces a soft photo. Even with a Canon L glass.
    Hopefully one of the first things you learned is to use a real camera. ;)

19. Primus84 macrumors 6502

I have a real camera of course, but the best camera is the one you have with you!

20. IlliniGuy76 macrumors regular

You're going to get one hour of additional time on Wi-Fi and two on LTE (according to specs which are slightly different by phone).

That isn't enough of a sell for me to spend a significant amount more money and have a significantly larger phone which is going to cause everyday use issues for anyone owning the phone.

21. Ayr macrumors 6502

22. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Negative, barometer is in both phones

23. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

The Plus will be slower in performance than the 6, that's quite a big feature.

24. illutionz macrumors 65816

I know you're trying to be cheeky and stuff but why would anyone want to NOT take quality pictures?

----------

I'm an enthusiast photographer but I will never want to carry my SLR everywhere I go... that's rather absurd. I bring my SLR to events or while traveling to pre-designated spot. I don't just have my camera bag in my car at all times.

Buying standalone point and shoot is also absurd because it'll be just another expenses to have 3 separate devices that takes pictures.

I don't see why anyone wouldn't want their phone camera to improve? Would you rather us have potato quality camera on our phones and everyone to carry a bag with 3 different SLR lenses everywhere they go?

25. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Where is this 2GB RAM rumor from? I'm curious.