Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
Ok, I'm willing to try almost anything once, but here is something I think I'll just skip.

Pricey Fecal Coffee Costs $175 a Pound
Reuters
NEW YORK (Dec. 30) - Would you pay $175 for a pound of coffee beans which had passed through the backside of a furry mammal in Indonesia?

Apparently, some coffee lovers wanting to treat themselves to something special are lapping it up.

Kopi Luwak beans from Indonesia are rare and expensive, thanks to a unique taste and aroma enhanced by the digestive system of palm civets, nocturnal tree-climbing creatures about the size of a large house cat.

"People like coffee. And when they want to treat themselves, they order the Kopi Luwak," said Isaac Jones, director of sales for Tastes of The World, an online supplier of gourmet coffee, tea and cocoa.

Despite being carnivorous, civets eat ripe coffee cherries for treats. The coffee beans, which are found inside of the cherries, remain intact after passing through the animal.

Civet droppings are found on the forest floor near coffee plantations. Once carefully cleaned and roasted, the beans are sold to specialty buyers.

Jones said sales for Kopi Luwak rose three-fold just before the Christmas holiday compared with the first half of the year. The company started selling the rare coffee in February 2005.

He expects to sell around 200 pounds of the coffee this year, with orders coming from North America and Europe. So far, most of the orders have been from California.

Indonesia produces only about 1,100 pounds of the coffee each year, making it extremely expensive and difficult to find.

"It's the most expensive coffee that we know about in the world," said Jones.

By comparison Jamaica's Blue Mountain coffee, considered to be an expensive type, sells for $35 to $40 per pound, while a pound of Colombia's Supremo arabicas can be bought for about $14.
AOL News

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Eat your heart out Starbucks.

I'm a coffee lover but no way I drink coffee that was once sh**.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It's not that bad. It tastes a little bit muddy, but it's very subtle. I think the muddiness is more a characteristic of the type of bean rather than a result of its travels.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
This from the website selling the coffee online:

They also found the Kopi Luwak gourmet coffee bean to have less total protein, less bacterial count, some pitting on the surface of the coffee bean and different compounds. This may explain why the Kopi Luwak coffee is said to be less bitter and have a different aroma than other gourmet coffee.
emphasis added tastes of the world.net

Hmmm.... I can't seem to place that aroma. I know I've smelled it before. It kinda smells like sh..! Nevermind let's drink up! :)

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
Just when you thought it was safe to consider one orifice as being less offensive than the other. It looks like the Starbucks menu may need to be modified:

Crappucino -- Fabulous rear end blend ... it'll really get you going.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
MongoTheGeek said:
Besides I have more... brutal taste in coffee than most people.

What do you mean by "brutal"?? So not only do you need feces on your beans, but blood as well?

And even as a coffee lover, isn't there a better way to spend your money? Why not just fly to a place where they grow coffee beans and get the beans super-fresh? It'll probably be the greatest coffee ever.

iDM

macrumors 6502a
I bet it still tastes better then this:

Attachments

• image.php.jpeg
    image.php.jpeg
    37.7 KB · Views: 172

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
mad jew said:
It's not that bad. It tastes a little bit muddy, but it's very subtle. I think the muddiness is more a characteristic of the type of bean rather than a result of its travels.

Agreed, The first time I had it I had no idea about it's travels. It did have somewhat of a unique taste, but nothing was gross about it. The logo on the dispenser that I got the coffee from should have said something to me however!. :eek:

kopi_luwak1.jpg

Remember people, the coffee is Roasted afterwards at temps hot enough to kill anything nasty that remains on it.

I won't go out of my way to buy any though!

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
crazycat said:
Why would someone want to drink something like that, its just retarded.

Why would someone want to the filtering organ of a slaughtered beast, or cheese that has mould growing in it , or perhaps the raw musculature and innards of a mollusk? :rolleyes:

btw i'm not vegetarian

brett_x

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2005
Austin Powers...

I think Austin Powers said it right:

Austin: "Basil, this coffee smells like sh**."
Basil: "It is sh**, Austin."
Austin: "Oh, well, it's not just me then."
[Drinks]
Austin: [Smacks lips] "It's a bit nutty."
:eek:

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Deepdale said:
Crappucino -- Fabulous rear end blend ... it'll really get you going.

hehehe, very good :D

Or a frappooccino for the Summer

Hmm, think I'll pass on this and just stick with my Illy Espresso, thanks

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Abstract said:
What do you mean by "brutal"?? So not only do you need feces on your beans, but blood as well?

And even as a coffee lover, isn't there a better way to spend your money? Why not just fly to a place where they grow coffee beans and get the beans super-fresh? It'll probably be the greatest coffee ever.

A well roasted Kenyan or Ethiopian coffee. Something with a bit of bite to it and high acidity.

I have often pondered retiring to Jamaica to live on coffee and jerk... mmm...

One reason I have heard that this civet coffee is better is because they only eat the really ripe beans, and that most coffee is a mix of ripe, overripe and underripe. Its just getting the rats to sort the beans for you.

L

Lau

MongoTheGeek said:
One reason I have heard that this civet coffee is better is because they only eat the really ripe beans, and that most coffee is a mix of ripe, overripe and underripe. Its just getting the rats to sort the beans for you.

That reminds me of the squirrels sorting nuts in Charlie and the Chocolate factory. Except they do it differently. Now that would be a classic kids film scene. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.