Fed up with At&t maybe need a new service APPLE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by puliaficoc20, Jun 25, 2009.

1. puliaficoc20 Guest

So I have been dealing with At&t since 2007 had the first iPhone some call it the 2G and then went and got the 3G right away. I have dealt with crappy service from At&t this whole time and this last month I was like maybe I should call and just try fix my issue because the 3GS is coming out and I will not sign another contract until I get things working with my current phone. My phone always can't get service, drops calls, can not send out texts, and sometimes its when I have a good signal it will just cut out. This primarily happens at my house and around my development but when I am driving a lot it happens and its really annoying. Even the big radio guy by me ROVER just the phone and has these problems and he has the 3GS.

So I call AT&T and I tell them the whole story and I am just kind of mad at this point and not yelling or swearing cause usually they will help you more if you don't. So, I told them and they knocked $70 off my bill, cause usually my bills where like $180 but now I am the only one on my plan as off last month so they should be like $90.

They sent me to tech support and they did reseting of my phone, updates, and stuff and then we tested it and it worked in places it didn't before and right when I got off the phone with them it dropped the phone 3 times in somewhere is always worked so I called them back and then they said they would check the towers. So they get back to me after saying they would send people to check the towers and they said they where all good it was my phone or my house on the hill right next the the tower, when in my area we are suppose to have great coverage.

So after complaining to them and my my dropped the call and they sent me a text saying it was resolved I just went to their store. They gave me a new SIM because there is a mark from the machine when it puts it in the iPhone which damages it and low and behold a lot better service but still dropping calls, so one more thing is get the phone replaced and keep that SIM. So I went to APPLE and they replaced the phone because of cracks and dropped calls no problem and didnt I get home and the ear speaker so you only can make calls with a Bluetooth or on Speakerphone so I was furious. I drove 30min and replaced a crap phone for a crappier phone and had to drive back up their cause At&t can not just do something or just distribute the 3GS equiptment fee throughout the bill. So I go up there and I have to wait an hour cause he tries replacing the screen and just ends up giving me a refurb. So I was kind of ticked.

I knew Apple when they stood behind the products better I used the computers since the huge floppies and now that its to the point that they don't even check what they are given their customers, thats pretty bad, not saying they have bad products, I love apple but man its like they need to start getting better at what they used to do better.\

As far for At&t I probably can not keep my iPhone cause their service sucks. You think because Apple is based in America At&t can push to be the better service and/or Apple would have picked the better service. No MMS or tethering to honestly. I have had it with At&t, I stuck out with them and switched to them cause of the iphone and now I will be leaving them cause they suck and I know a lot of other people who are to and my dads company who I was going to have switch to iphones which would be 60 iphones are probably going to stay the Verizon well its Alltell to become Verizon, once I switch.

just needed to vent and let people know what they are doing and no do not hate apple by no means it is at&t

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I hear ya' and I'm considering T-Mobile at this point. JB & Unlock would be fine; I don't even use VVM anyway with TrapCall, I get all my missed calls via email, which is much more reliable for me. Sometimes I get into those areas where I don't receive the FULL voicemail.....:eek::eek::eek:

3. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

As they say, the grass is always greener on the other side. Not much you can do besides root for whatever carrier has good service in your area, and hope Apple gets away from it's exclusivity deal with AT&T sooner rather than later.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

Funny - a lot of your complaints are with Apple and the phone itself. Why are you excusing one and not the other?

5. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

I am running my iphone unlocked with TMO and am very close to dropping my att voice plan all together. I just dont need their crap service

6. chox99 macrumors regular

ATT=Cingular=Ameritech. Ameritech was/is THE WORST phone company in the world. I used to have Cingular and I got raped by them EVERY MONTH! Moved to T-mo and it was the best experience ever. Their customer service is bar none and coverage+plan is decent. No dropped calls. I'm back on ATT because of my family being on ATT but I HATE ATT!!!!!!!

7. Oskee2001 macrumors regular

Actually the old Ameritech network was sold to GTE during the SBC mergers, and that later became Verizon.

Ameritech, does, however, still do business as AT&T, but its not the same company as before.

Anyway, I've never had any problems with AT&T, and i've had them since 1999.

8. puliaficoc20 thread starter Guest

The only reason why I am not as mad with Apple, no doubt I do have a little let down because they did screw me on going back and forth and of course picking At&t. But everytime I go in there they swap my phone no problem, or you call they trouble shoot whatever it is, they run you all round not knowing exactly what is going on ussually. At&t on the other hand everytime I called they had no idea what was done besides the big stuff and I kind of want proof if it was. They keep trying the same stuff but they know its their crappy network thats it and instead of like the guy from tech support on the phone from apple said they used to come to the house and see what they can do to make it better in that area they just jerk you around thats Att. So that is why I Apple I will excuse somewhat and not At&t.

A couple questions I want to get a 3GS though can I jailbreak it, and does it have all the functionality as my phone would have on Att

9. chox99 macrumors regular

Yeah, you are right, I forgot about that. I stand corrected. "SBC" is THE WORST phone company in teh world!

10. dagomike macrumors 65816

Useless service negates any phone. If AT&T doesn't work for you, move on and maybe your situation will improve someday.

11. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Join the club

AT&T service has been absolutely terrible with my 2 iPhones. Absolutely terrible

12. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Location and hardware play a lot into what kind of service you get.
    There are places where AT&T blows and there are places like Phoenix where Sprint and Verizon absolutely suck.
    Had Apple gone with Verizon, all of us in places like Phoenix would be screaming just like you are.

It is what it is.

And if you haven't already discovered this, your 3GS (when an unlock becomes available) will only work on T-Mobile's EDGE service.
    T-Mobiles 3G network is not compatible with the 3G or 3GS iPhone.

13. sziehr macrumors 6502a

my issue with att is that they are behind and racing to catch up and cutting corners. They are just now going back and running fiber to there cell sites to make the 3.0 megs you could get currently actually available. They have horrid coverage in lower density areas.

In my area it goes like this
    GTE - Cellular 1 - verizon
    bell south mobility - cingular - ATT

Cellular 1 realy rolled out the towers in rural areas.

Bellsouth did not nor did the short lived cingular.

I live in Middle TN
    in this state is red in many ways not just politcal but in wireless coverage.
    The state is just painted in RF by verizon.

I would love to see att or t-mobile catch up
    this is a decade long monoploy in rural america for us.
    They charge what they want and treat you like they know they are the only game in town cause in fact they are

14. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

For me, coverage wise, ATT is better, but both TMO and ATT are the worst in my area.

15. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Location, location, location.

The top 2 carriers in the U.S. are

#1 Verizon
    #2 AT&T
    #3 Sprint

And so on. TMobile is on the bottom of the list.

If you have bad service with AT&T and hate it, like others have said, get your phone unlocked and use TMobile (Prepaid or not). Cancel your AT&T account, and pay the ETF fee.

If you can get out of your contract without paying the ETF (up for renewal), transfer your number to TMobile, then buy an unlocked (once they are out) iPhone 3GS (or save some money and get a 3G).

I've been with AT&T since it was called Pacific Bell, but it helps being in an urbanized area.

16. mn723 macrumors newbie

I know I'm a newbie and all to the iPhone and At&t, but after having Verizon for 7 years and now At&t for 1 week I'd say that I've already had the same amount of dropped calls on At&t in 1 week than I had with Verizon in 7 years. Don't get me wrong, this sweet new iPhone makes it worth it, but service is lacking. Sometimes with full 3G bars I can't get a Safari connection....what gives???

17. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I love AT&T service in my area (both at home and at college). I have never had a dropped call in 2 years, and the service and customer service is top notch. So its obvious that milage will vary by location. And if AT&T isn't good in your area, get a different carrier. Your argument is equivalent to owning a 2 wheel drive Honda Civic in Antarctica. No matter how much you like that Honda Civic (or iPhone) it makes NO sense to own one where it is of no use, like icy Antarctica (or where you don't get good AT&T service). Got it?

18. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

When the iPhone is finally allowed on a different carrier, you can be rest assured many, many will do just that. Until then, iPhone lovers like myself are being forced AT&T's daily dropped calls.

iPhone is too important to just give away at the moment with what I have on it for both work and personal reasons

19. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

So what you are saying is there is no other device that can do what the iPhone does for you? None? I find that hard to believe. Every network has their "iPhone" equivalent. The fact is that you want the iPhone and thus need to deal with the service. This brings me back to my example: you may love the Civic, but if it doesn't work good in the conditions there is no point of having it. Right?

20. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

No, I haven't found another phone that I enjoy using anywhere near as much as the iPhone. Whether it is the Apps, ease of email, or iPod, I find the iPhone to be an exceptional phone that I use almost all day.

The only downside is the actual phone service which has been absolutely terrible on most occasions. Dropped calls are common most days. I deal with it though and continue to keep it due to the actual phone.

When AT&T fixes their service, complaints will go down and you all won't have to hear so many talk about it. Looks like AT&T is down that but so far I have yet to see any actual difference.

As for your car analogy, chances are I keep the Civic if I like the car and it gets done what I need it to get done. My Tahoe is an old one with 100k miles and has broken down at times yet I keep it because it gets me to work, family loves it, and I have great memories from it.

The iPhone gets done what I need it to get done but it has its flaws which apparently many, many others here deal with as well.

21. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

I purchased 4 "s" models last week, and after dropping four calls on one conversation I have decided it was enough. I have cancelled all four lines, returned the phones and went back to VZW.

ATT has their head up their ...

22. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Milage will vary. What fails for some works great for others. Do you think Verizon has amazing coverage everywhere? Verizon's network did not descend from the heavens despite what some believe. It depends on where you are and the quicker people realize that the better.

Repeat after me: "It depends on location." Again. "It depends on location."

23. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

if you replace AT&T with Verizon this thread could be cut and pasted onto the verizon boards

24. hitman45400 macrumors regular

i have a hard time understand all these problems, i have had my iPhone for over a year, less then 5 dropped calls over all, one spot in my whole city i lose service (which is on a road, and all of 500 yards long) so it isn't a problem, the customer service is great, and i don't see why everyone hates them so much..:confused:

25. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I am sure you do

It is maybe the most talked about issue on this part of the forum.