Fed up with my iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by alksion, Oct 11, 2012.

1. alksion, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2012

alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I have late 2009 27" iMac i5. I have been having so many problems lately I don't know what to do. AppleCare has been no help thus far and ready to get in contact with a supervisor or something until my problems are fixed.

First of all, my WiFi is completely broken. I'm fairly technical to say the least and know that it has certainly failed.

My screen flickers, you can especially see it when the screen is dim. Definitely becoming a nusense. I've been told this is "normal", yet this didn't happen when I first got the thing.

One of my DIMM slots is broken for sure. It always reports back in memtest that it's failed, but in reality, the RAM is good (tested on other machines) and still reports back with a fail.

My wireless keyboard has completely gone out. Only about two or three keys still work on it.

Before I formatted my computer, I was getting tons of kernel panics to that point where I couldn't even use my machine.

While this may sound like a rant, I'm just venting a bit. I am fed up with AppleCare. They have been no help at all. I just want the machine replaced. I don't need a 2011 model, just my same model, but new. This may be wishful thinking, but there are some serious quality control issues I am working with here.

Any advice, I will gladly take. This is almost the straw that brakes the camel's back for sure.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Have you taken it to the Apple Store for servicing?

I have and found them very unhelpful. They're in a rush and don't take the time to notice issues.

I've started sending my computer for repairs through the mail (Just call AppleCare and have them send you a box). I've had a lot of things done on my laptop and was offered a replacement, twice, from them.

3. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

That's actually a really good idea. I wonder why sending it in is better than taking it in?

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm not sure, but I was having an issue with my MBP and took it the Genius bar. 45 minutes drive each way. Was told that I'd have my computer back in 3 days. Great. I get a call that I'll have to wait a little over a week for it. Went to get it and they couldn't "find" the computer for half an hour. Computer came back but was in a poorer condition than what I had sent it in (screen was super wobbly).

Wasn't going to deal with that BS again (wasted petrol and time).

I've sent products over 3-4 times to Apple and have gotten it back in 2-3 days. Everything I've asked them to look at gets looked at, and mostly replaced. Minor issues that I didn't think that there were problems with like my speakers sounding distorted, battery seeming weak, and the optical drive seeming a bit sloppy ... they were all fixed even though I had only asked them to just check them. I really doubt there was an issue in the first place.

Was getting kernel panics and from what I could tell appeared to be a "RAM error", Apple replaced my RAM even though it was third party Crucial RAM. Really happy about that considering that it would've been a PITA to get an RMA from Crucial and be without a computer. Honestly felt like throwing the computer because it would KP every boot up. Working like brand new though right now:)

Just call them, tell them that you're having issues with the WiFi, screen flickering, RAM not being detected (+ kernel panics), and broken wireless keyboard. They'll ask you if you want to setup an appointment with a Genius. Just tell them that the store is too far and that you can't. They'll send you a box and you'll get it the next morning from the day you called. Just put the computer in, call Fedex to pick it up (they'll do it for free) and you'll get your computer back in 1-2 days.

For me it has worked out like this:
    1. Call Monday
    2. Get box Tuesday
    3. Send Tuesday Night
    4. AppleCare received and fixed computer Wednesday.
    5. Shipped from Apple on Wednesday Night.
    6. Received on Thursday by 10:30 AM.

They're pretty good. I've had the whole casing, motherboard, and a few other components replaced in one repair and they did it in one day.

5. Yamcha macrumors 68000

Assuming you have Apple Care coverage I would take it to the store and explain the issues your having, I don't see why they wouldn't replace it..

Personally I've had a bad experience in the past with Apple Care, my iMac was sent for repair, someone told me it would take 72 hours, ended up taking 2 weeks, after the repair was made, heavy scratches on the iMac, and the glass screen was loose, after some arguing they replaced it with a new one..

Anyway you should run the Apple Diagnostic test, If it fails It'll give you an error code, with that you'll be able to pin point what the problem is..

6. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

do a iMac smashing video on it on youtube then if you're sick of your iMac that would be like the first iMac smashing video on youtube that is a modern system and would be very interesting to watch.

7. mcpix macrumors regular

I've often wondered about this. I haven't needed any service on my iMacs, but the nearest Apple store is 2 hours away.

My only concern in shipping it off was keeping the iMac safe during shipping. I have the original box, but if they provide a shipping box that would be great.

Do all Apple stores do in house repairs, or do they ship their computers out for repair?