FedEx refusing to deliver in San Diego

Discussion in 'macOS' started by FreeState, Oct 25, 2007.

1. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I just got the following email from Apple: (Note I live downtown - not near the fires - FedEx flies into town too, from Texas)

I had it shipped to my work also - which means I can not pick it up, my ID must have the same address on it. Im not to happy about this. The FedEx facility is actually closer to the fires than I am....

--------

Ship-to address:

San Diego CA 92102

To Our Valued Apple Customer:

Dear Apple Customer,

Thank you for your recent order with Apple.

Due to local emergency conditions in your delivery area, our carriers are
    unable to deliver to the address listed on your order. As a result, your Apple
    shipment is currently being held at your local FedEx facility.

Understanding that you may need your order sooner than it can be delivered,
    Apple has teamed with FedEx to allow you to pick up your order at your local
    FedEx facility. To claim your package, you must have:

-- The tracking number
    -- A valid photo ID with name and address that match the delivery name and
    address

Regular delivery service will resume once conditions allow.

Thank you for your business.

Apple, Inc.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I would call FedEx to get a more definitive answer.

In times like this, you never know what's really going to happen...

3. FreeState thread starter macrumors 68000

FreeState

Im going to have to call them - my drivers license has my home address on it not my work address - which is a mail order company downtown that FedEx has been to every day this week.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I can sympathize. I think this falls under the heading of "fecal occurrence". Just think of the melted Macs that will never know the goodness of Leopard... :(

5. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

call them tell them the situation. bring your ID, credit card and maybe print out the pre sign form from your apple order. fed-ex is decent they will work with you.

6. lorax3 macrumors regular

lorax3

UPS San Diego

I also live in San Diego County, but a little more in east county(closer to the fires). I haven't gotten that email from Apple yet, but UPS came today to drop off another order of mine.....
    Strange?

7. FreeState thread starter macrumors 68000

FreeState

You know the weird thing is that it has not even arrived in San Diego yet according to the FedEx tracking... its still in transit from Texas... I wonder if everyone with a San Diego zip code got the same email?

(Also I have never had a good experience with FedEX... this is not the first time they have done this to me...)

8. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

But you must be able to totally understand the point of view of the delivery company.

When the fires were raging up here (in Canada) everyone thought that people that continued were heroes, but people aren't paid to be heroes.

You have to understand why they are not delivering. At least they are giving you the pick up option.

Cheers.

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It's very possible. ...That's why I suggested calling to find out if the email was in fact true for your case.

I can't even begin to explain how inaccurate notices from shipping companies are...

10. FreeState thread starter macrumors 68000

FreeState

I agree - except I work for a mail order company - where Im supposed to have it delivered - same address - and they have been there every day this week - twice today.

Also - most people don't realize this - San Diego is huge physically. The fires were never closer than 15 - 20 miles from my area. Its now over 50 miles from my area.

11. FreeState thread starter macrumors 68000

FreeState

Anyone else in San Diego having issues? As of 11:11am no package even at the FedEx facility - they have now officially lost my package... :mad:

12. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yep. I sent you a private message.

I just called Fedex. They claim the plane from indianpapolis has weather delays, and we aren't going to get our package. WHat a joke!!

Apple - maybe ship Californias from california instead of NY's from California!

Furthermore apple - maybe ship 2 days before. getting it a day early isn't as bad as not getting it!

Now I have to go to a store, and ship this one back to apple, they better pay the return shipping!!

13. srob89 macrumors newbie

I've got the same problem. The FedEx tracking info says the box left Indianapolis at 4:47 am but nothing about arriving in San Diego. This is crazy!

14. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

are the san diego apple stores open?

15. srob89 macrumors newbie

Yep. I was at the UTC store yesterday at lunch time. It was pretty busy considering all that's going on this week.

16. FreeState thread starter macrumors 68000

FreeState

Here my screen - you think they would update it... I even called FedEx this morning and have received no return call from them yet (almost 3 hours now).

I might just go down to the Mall and refuse delivery on the FedEx if that is possible -

Attached Files:

17. Lanman macrumors member

Lanman

I have the exact same screen. I just called Fedex and they said they are expecting a late shipment very soon and they should be able to deliver today.

Let me know if you get an update.

Dan

18. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

That sucks dude. I just sent a package to San Diego on Tuesday where they got it Wednesday morning (during the height of the fires). Aren't the fires mostly out or contained now?

19. FreeState thread starter macrumors 68000

FreeState

I just got off the phone with FedEx - they said I will get it Monday that it was 100% FedEx's fault. I called Apple - they have emailed me an RMA and free shipping to send it back Monday.

In addition if I can't find it at a store this weekend and keep it when it comes Monday Apple will credit my account $50....

The fires are not out and only partially contained but they are not even close to the city. The fire was never close to FedEx or where I work.

20. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Glad they helped you out at least. How are they handling the shipping? I hope they'll cover that for me too. on hold now.

Enjoy Leopard!!!

Yep everyone thinks it was the fire, but it wasn't. the plane had other issues evidently or something.

21. FreeState thread starter macrumors 68000

FreeState

I got two emails from Apple - one of them has a link to FedEX where you print out a shipping label that you take to FedEx (or in my case I will just give them the box at work :D )

I told the person on the phone at Apple that they really should offer a different carrier since FedEx always screws up my orders (this is not the first time).

22. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Thanks. They claim they are sending me a return label via email, but it hasn't arrived yet. How long did yours take?

They were also hateful to me and said it was because of fires, I said a plane in indianapolis was the problem and she said "no the orders are coming from the california fires." ha-ha.

Good grief. I sure hope the label pops up soon.

Thanks for all the information you helped with today.

23. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Ok. received return label.

I sure hope not too many people have to go through this though. Such a hassle.

Guess I won't be enjoying Leopard until late late tonight, if I can find a copy!

24. FreeState thread starter macrumors 68000

FreeState

Me too... kind of sad - but it definitely put a damper on my day... when an OS delivery delay bums you out you know your a little to addicted to your Mac :)

25. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

Ok. You know the news only tells half the story. How close are they to the La Jolla (UCSD) area? My wife went to school out there.