FedEx SmartPost stinks!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Frisco, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

Amazon maybe saving money going into bed with the USPS, but it takes so long. That's Amazon's way of doing free shipping.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Subscribe to Amazon Prime and you'll never hear about SmartPost again.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It's free shipping, what more can you really expect?
    Just pay for shipping if it really irritates you.

4. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

duuuudde i hate smart post every time a package says its in my city it will stay there for like 2 days then go out for delivery

5. quagmire, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013

quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Then you get laserpost or another small local delivery company......

FedEx Smartpost and UPS Mail Innovations does stink. A package can be 4 hours away from me( origin scan) and would be delivered the next day via ground, but takes a week to get to me via Smartpost/Mail Innovations.....

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

All of my Prime stuff comes from UPS. Except one time they used FedEx who promptly f'ed it up and delivered 2 days late. Since I paid the $3.99 for overnight, Amazon refunded my shipping even though it was 100% FedEx's fault.

7. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

How can smart post be cheaper then first class main or just parcel post? both of those are faster then smart post.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, I hate smartpost and it always seems to take longer - that's what you get for "free shipping" I guess.

9. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

SmartPost or UPS Mail Innovations aren't cheaper than first class mail or parcel post, but use the superior distribution network of FedEx and UPS, respectively, as well as the tracking capability of those carriers to improve package travel visibility until the package reaches the destination post office, where the post office delivers the "last mile". Since USPS is delivering to every address in the United States 6 days a week, it makes sense to use their existing trucks and routes for that delivery, especially for packages delivered to residential areas.

Basically, FedEx and UPS won't guarantee the service level like they do for their "Ground" services due to the addition of the USPS on the end of the delivery chain. However, I've seen statistics that something like 97% of UPS Mail Innovations shipments are delivered within 4 days of UPS' receipt of the package. Their standard delivery windows on these packages are 3-10 business days, or something like that.

10. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

I've only received a SmartPost shipment twice, but on both occasions it was at my door 1 day after it would have been if FedEx had delivered it.

As for Amazon Prime, everything I order via that (which is a LOT) comes via UPS, with a rare FedEx exception. I'd prefer if it was all FedEx, due to my location, but have had no complaints about the UPS service.