Feedback on refurbished Retina Macbook Pros

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mcpix, Jan 7, 2013.

1. mcpix macrumors regular

I finally bought a refurbished rMBP yesterday and I'm wondering what others who purchased think of their new refurbished machines?

Did we get a great deal or did we simply buy all the rMBPs with LG screens and IR problems?

I'll report back as soon as I receive my refurbished rMBP.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Refurbished are most likely to be much better due to more quality control before sale. Remember, a refurb is basically a machine returned, (having been checked when made) checked once again for damage and repaired if found, reinstalled everything and once again a final check before it goes out.

So it is very likely you won't see any issues.

3. maxosx macrumors 68020

While I have no personal experience with refurbs, a very good friend always buys them. I'm impressed what a good job Apple does, they look like new.

Thus far in the last five years, he's had five refurbished MBP's all trouble free.

4. cheezeit macrumors 6502

Refurbs usually turn out pretty well for me. No issues, still have apple warranty and you save a good chunk of money.

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I have bought two from Apple,

2011 15" MBP
    2012 13" MBP

Both look new, function perfectly and have no issues. I HIGHLY recommend Apple refurb.

6. krravi macrumors 65816

Everything except a few iPad's I bought from Apple are refurbished. My first purchase was a Airport Extreme and after 4 years still running strong with a 300 MBps wireless connection.

Next bought an iMac 27" a couple more iPad's and a MBA and they had no issues.

7. inaka macrumors 6502

I'm typing this on a Refurbished MacPro that I've owned for over a year now. No issues at all.

That said, I personally wouldn't buy a refurbished Retina Macbook Pro. I'm not a fan of refurbished MBPs in general, but with the rMBP, I would guess the chances of getting one returned for IR would be high and I'm a fan of the orignal packaging on laptops for when it comes time to resell. Just my take.

8. bogatyr macrumors 65816

+ Less cost
    + Same warranty
    + Can extend warranty to 3 yr with AppleCare
    + Exterior is new
    - No original box

Seems like a no brainer.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

I doubt that box will fetch $330 or more. As for the IR, that is a potential issue, but on the other hand, the screen may also have been replaced if the customer returned it because of image retention. Plus there is still the option of taking it back.

10. krravi macrumors 65816

Well I bought a new one with the Box and it has an LG screen and the infamous IR test did leave a few white boxes which went away the moment I refreshed the screen with Apple website.

So what has refurb go to do with it? Nothing. Its all luck, considering there are many suppliers for the same component.

11. inaka macrumors 6502

Not saying the box will fetch $300 more, just saying, it's another factor that would make me pass on the refurbished rMBP and get a new one.

12. CedarPoint182 macrumors member

I have two rMBP's scheduled for delivery tomorrow (a 2.6/8/512 and 2.6/16/512; I'm planning on returning the former barring some issue with the latter)... I'll post my findings after the unboxings!

I'm feeling good about the refurb decision so far. I enjoy the normal Apple boxes, too, but I enjoy saving enough to upgrade to the 512 SSD even more...

13. emgoodman macrumors regular

I have the base line 2.3/8GB/256 set for arrival tomorrow.

I've been a huge fan or the refurb store having purchased a mac mini and iMac from it, each in perfect condition. The iMac even came with an extra 4GB RAM than listed.

My only concern too, is possible IR. However, as someone else mentioned, its quite possible that the chance of getting a defective screen could be lower. If a model was returned with IR then most likely the screen was replaced and it does seem that refurb units go thrugh a more stringent testing process. Worse case scenario, the screen has IR - I pack it up and return until Apple sends me out one that doesn't have it.

In any event I will post my findings after I get a chance to kick her tires a bit.

14. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It's probably the same 50/50 - if it was returned for serious IR it's probably been replaced (LG or Samsung), if its mild/in spec and they replaced it to stop someone moaning, it'll be sent back out as is I imagine.

15. krravi macrumors 65816

Just received my refurb rMBP. I had exchanged a new one with 256 for a refurb 512 GB.

The previous one(new) was a LG. The one I got as a refurb is a Samsung.

So in this case, looks like refurbs are better than new ones? Only time will tell...

16. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

I received mine today. Base model refurb - LG panel, no IR.

17. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

seems that refurb discount isnt much more than the education discount
    the refurb rMbp is only 130 cheaper than the education discount
    id rather buy new IMO

18. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Why?

19. KPOM macrumors G5

The difference is that everyone qualifies for the refurbished models. A lot of us with the money to buy the Retina models aren't students (otherwise we wouldn't have the money :D).

20. unintelligible macrumors newbie

Base model 15" retina delivered today, Samsung display, no defects whatsoever. Oh wait, scratch that - there was a black smear on the generic cardboard box it came in. I should really call and complain. :D

21. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

understood, but Apple is not strict at all with their education discounts, iv used it numerous times and never been asked to show student ID or any proof

----------

because it is brand new from the factory vs. something that was used and returned then dissected to be newish

22. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Apple refurbishes (at least iOS devices) by replacing the battery, display, and enclosure, then recycling the innards.

23. abuleban macrumors member

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger

and getting a base rMBP refurb; very interested to find out how yours are

I've got about 5 days to take advantage of the financing deal that would make it an interest free 18 month loan. I just can't resist getting it!:D

The only downside is that I'm overseas and it wouldn't get to me for about a month and a half or so via a friend:(

24. emgoodman macrumors regular

Baseline model has Samsung screen

Replying on my refurb baseline model. Samsung screen - I have not yet tested for IR.

No imperfections that I can see.

When I first booted up, I was a bit disappointed with the screen but after a couple days it seemed to be looking better to me. No sure if there had to be a sort of warming in period (either the macbook or me). Also I turned up the brightness which I think makes things pop more. Also, while the matte appearance will most likely be better in sunlight I think I prefer the glossy appearance of my retina iPad better.

Surprised to see they still have these available in the refurb store. I figured they would have sold out quickly but they still have them in stock.

25. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

I find the places listed on Apple Insider can get you the same or close to the same as refurbished models. Plus in many cases there is no tax depending on what state you live in.

http://appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/#