Feel bad about having a rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WhiteIphone5, May 22, 2013.

1. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

i will be programming soon, most likely by the end of the year ( CS degree) and i have a rMBP that can basically run any task thrown at it. The reason I feel bad that i have a Retina Macbook is because i only use FB, skype, word, safari and that's it. I know there are tons of you guys here in Macrumors and lots across the US and other international countries that need the Power of this beast. But i got a sweet deal 2.6ghz, 3 year apple care, 16GB ram and 256GB SSD, Samsung display for $1900 ( NEW). I feel like any current gen or even last years macbooks can handle what i'm doing or going to do. I dont do photoshop or edit videos nor do i have any music programs. And some of you guys NEED it but cant afford it :(
    i just cant stay away from the Retina screen, its way too beautiful.
    Just my 2 cents
    Did anyone else buy theirs for basic use?

2. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

If you want to remove your guilt, feel free to give your rMBP to me for nothing.

3. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

If they did (or did not), what does this have to do with how you use your mac?

4. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

My use is quite similar to yours, regular Internet use plus Law School work (mostly papers). Enjoy it !!!

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't feel bad and I love my rMBP - I've said this before, its the best laptop I've owned period.

As for my usage its probably not as intensive as others. I use it for medium to light photoshop (pixelmator now that PS is going subscription), Aperture, Office internet stuff, music and vmware. I usually run a combination of those apps at any given time.

Could I have settled for a lower end machine possibly but this fits my needs and I have no regrets :)

6. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

7. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Once you start using it for programming you won't feel so guilty. As a matter of fact you'll be grateful to have such a beast for that purpose.

8. Pared3s macrumors regular

Do people with Porsches drive it to the max speed everyday? Not everything in life has to be practical. If you love fast and well made computers then don't feel bad about buying it. Just use it and be thankful you have it.

9. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Programming what? have you given the thought of 3d modeling? Autocad? CAD CAM? Basic? C sharp? C++? Assembly? MIPS? Data Structures? Wait until data structures you'll be glad you have that resolution. Compiling 10k lines of assembly code takes a minute. Although with todays PC's probably more like a second. Yes I said MIPS (Microprocessor w/o interlocked pipline stages) - It's a RISC design. Trust me you'll be getting into that.

What's nice about having such a machine is that you will never need to buy another one until it breaks. This is why Apple's specs are far beyond what you may think you need.

By the way good luck! You'll need it. That degree is no joke - very tough. I used my degree to become an engineer instead of a programmer. I just don't like the idea of coding for 80 hours a week. I'd rather tinker with a server for 65 hours a week.

10. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

yes, indeed it is.

----------

C, C++, Java, Objc-C :)

----------

I'm always thankful for what i have. I wish for others too

11. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Hey, I'm a history major and got a cMBP when I started in 2009. Could've gotten the white MacBook instead, but the specs were better on the pro, and the deal was good. Doesn't hurt to get a good deal when you can!

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Why are you guilty about owning a great computer.

I have a Mac Pro and 90% of the time it's just for all those things you've listed.

13. nednarm macrumors 6502

You're crazy OP. You earned the $1900 to purchase your rmbp. Why on earth would you feel guilty about owning it? So what if you don't use it to it's maximum potential day in, day out. I bet it's still a joy looking at the screen everyday, even if it is just to browse FB.

14. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

If anything, I'd regret the decision to lug around a 15" beast when a smaller unit would've been fine.

LOL! Some nice "lipstick" on buyer's remorse. :D

15. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I agree with this. If computers were scarce and your ownership of a rMBP had deprived someone else of one then the guilt would be well-placed. As it stands, the computer is available to anyone who can afford it. Even if you're using it for "lowly" tasks, you're using it and you're enjoying it. That's what counts.

You have a very good attitude, though. Being grateful for what you have and feeling sympathy for those who are less fortunate and unable to enjoy the things that you can is very commendable.

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I seriously question the motive behind anyone who writes a post like this one. I mean really, you feel guilty? I think you may be confused about what guilt feels like. It is odd to me that you would feel badly for anyone who doesn't have a rMBP. Feeling badly about starving children, natural disasters that tear towns apart, senseless hate crimes against people who are just as human as you and me; those are things to feel badly about. I feel like the posting is just a way for you to showcase what you own and the sweet deal you got. There are threads here that let you do that, with pictures.

It is quite wonderful to appreciate what you have and it is obvious that you do; however, there is a difference between appreciating what you have and stating a thread about what you have, deciding you know whether others here can afford it, and saying you actually feel guilty. If you really do then please, turn that guilt into something more productive such as helping people who are truly in need. No one, not a single person on this earth, needs a MBP with retina, the retina is a great luxury that you were fortunate enough to afford.

I'm sure to catch **** for not jumping on the side of thinking this was nothing more than a goodwill post but if I went with the grain people would think my account was hacked. :D

17. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Why are you not programming already? I thought that experience in this field is as important as theoretical knowledge (the CS degree).

18. OlegShv macrumors newbie

First of all, congrats on a great deal! :)

You should not feel bad because this machine will last you long time. Even if right now you feel that it has more oomph than you need, a few years down the road it will be able tackle all you throw at it with relative ease. It should last you through college :)

19. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Agreed. I'm currently juggling writing programs (work, school and personal) with multiple platforms, languages and IDEs. I know I'm the 1% out there but I'm going for a Mac Pro (when the new ones are out) because I'm currently using a triple monitor setup which is just about adequate. The stuff you said about data structures, oh man. Totally spot on. Except the last part, I'm the opposite of you. Love to sit for days on end coding (last coding session was 3 straight days, got up only for food and bathroom). Tinkering with hardware? I enjoy it but to a much lesser degree.

The screen real estate of any rMBP (13" and 15" pixel resolution are relatively close) is a huge boon for coders. It's simply incredible.

----------

LOL! :D

20. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Did your parents pay for it? If not, no reason to feel guilty.

21. CJM macrumors 65816

CJM

Don't worry, I'll be getting one for the same reasons. No need to feel guilty, you just have a sweet Mac. Besides, at least the power is there if you need it. I'm sure I'll chuck a bunch of games on mine just for giggles.

22. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

I do feel bad about those who have nothing to eat. But this is an Apple Forum after all right? This thread was shooting more for those who already have a computer but yet can't afford the more expensive machine. Thank you for the post but I don't need anyone telling me about helping others, I help my family and friends. And I came here to talk about "technology" not those less fortunate when it comes to "food & housing"

----------

Nope. Worked at subway for a year ( part time ) and had this amount saved up

----------

Programming coursers start for me at my community college late September. I kinda already had but I'm.guessing its nothing like the coursework and other software I will be using while in school.

23. Brandon263 macrumors 6502

Hehe, me too. I mostly only use mine for word-processing. But it's much more faster than the MacBook Air at basic tasks (opening programs, websites, etc.) that I'm probably not selling it anytime soon.

24. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Spot on! If he feels this amount of guilt over a laptop he purchased, he'll hang himself when he gets an extra scoop of ice cream at DQ.

You spent almost 2000 on a machine that some ppl would spend on 2, maybe u need pity. :D

----------

I have a CS degree and have been in the business for 10 years doing ERP work. Wait until he finds out he can do his work on a windows 98 machine. Plus, you won't use you MacBook at work, would you?

Or r you going to be one of those guys who has an ugly desk PC company provides and you MacBook opened to yahoo sports?

----------

Too funny. So that means when school starts, you'll spend a week or 2 trying to install some outdated compiler on your fast, new 'puter because your community college does not offer recent compilers to students.

Just enjoy your new toy - won't do much for compiling c++. All u get is bragging rights.

25. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

That's all I do on mine :p