Feeling bad about buying a ipad 2 :(

Discussion in 'iPad' started by andisayd, Aug 26, 2011.

1. andisayd macrumors newbie

I did a impulse buy and brought a ipad 2, which may not seem bad but I already have a iphone 4.

Now really the ipad can do everything except make phone calls. I never found it really reasonable to buy a ipad and iphone, is there any reason for keeping both? I was planning to keep the ipad 2 and sell the iphone 4 and get a crappy non smartphone or like a cheap blackberry.

2. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Use it for the 30 days and see how much use you get out of it then make your decision.

3. aneftp macrumors 68040

Actually I believe some stores (like Best Buy) have a 14 day return policy. I am not sure about Apple retail vs. online stores. It may be 14 days also (no restocking fees at either Best Buy or Apple stores).

But anyways to the OP, if you feel guilty; can you afford the device? Do you have limited funds?

Those are the questions you always have to ask yourself.

With the iPhone 4, what is your lifestyle? Are you a on the go professional who needs to be connected 24/7?

Are you a college student who is always texting/emailing?

Those are some of the things you need to figure out for yourself whether to sell the iphone 4 and keep the ipad. Or vice versa, that you don't need the ipad and keep the iphone.

4. andisayd thread starter macrumors newbie

Im a college student im not really limited on funds, I know the iphone is alot more practical to have and use, but the ipad is just to sexy to pass up. I still have like 80 to make my decision before I can return it to target. Hopefully the ipad 3 will come out by then and I can make an exchange.

As far texting I was hoping to buy a 3g next time with unlimited data on my ipad and then use a texting app. And maybe skype to make phone calls!

5. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Yahoo Messenger or Skype, can make phone calls too.

6. foiden macrumors 6502a

Yep. I make voice and video phone calls using Skype, all the time. And during the Earthquake that happened here, recently. It was among the *only* methods of making phone calls except for land-lines.

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Use your iPad for textbooks and you will no long feel guilty at all. My iPad has paid for itself in 2 semester of book savings.

8. andisayd thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been trying to find websites that allow me to download free pdf for my textbooks. But those sites are rare and the textbooks need are even more scare.

What are you doing to get your books? o__O

Looks like i'll be keeping the ipad then guys. Woo!

9. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

I did impulse buying on craigslist managed to snatch a 450 dollar ipad 2 16gb with 3g... still have a feeling it was stolen... but not much i can do about it... the serial want registered so i guess its mine now?

10. French macrumors regular

There are plenty of things the iPad does better than the iPhone.

Watching videos/movies is more enjoyable

There are games that are more enjoyable (hidden objects games especially)

Email can be more enjoyable if dealing with attachments

Magazines and Books

Creating a Zite or Flipboard...even if you can do this on the iPhone (which I'm not sure if you can), it's such a great experience on the iPad

You can take notes if you are inclined to do so...I have multiple apps and have used a stylus but don't think my iPad will replace pen and paper. But you could maybe grab a bluetooth keyboard and then you'll have a device with a 10 hour battery that you can use for note taking in class.

There are a lot of things the ipad does better than an iPhone. Enjoy it.

11. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Buy
    Moshi handset
    Acrobits

Get a voip account

You've got an iPad phone.

12. brettatk macrumors regular

I use both my iPhone and my iPad 2 every day. There are several things I wouldn't dream doing on the iPhone now that I have the iPad.

13. JAG77 macrumors member

Wow, that statement seems like it should be the opposite.. At least it was for me! haha OP: I had the same issue when I bought my ipad. If you honestly have to ask yourself if it was worth it then no, you don't need it. I have an iphone4 too and when I got the ipad... it just didn't make sense to me. Good luck!

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Or a set of iPhone earbuds.

15. andisayd thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL yeah i was looking at it like.... am I gonna carry that old school looking phone around?

Is acrobits worth the 7 bucks? I really dont mind buying it if it replaces my iphone. Anyone used it yet? Pro and cons?

16. urkel macrumors 68030

First thing you want to do is confirm that your iPad really does have a Target 90day return window. Many times there's exceptions or strict staff that will charge restocking fees or lock you out of returns so you really need to be careful.

As for keeping the iPad or not, if you want to see what its good for then you really need to realize what makes it different than your iPhone. Even though I agree with the unpopular idea that "its just a big iPod Touch", there's many apps and uses that are possible (or simply more comfortable) on the iPad and because of that it's easily my favorite device. (Until the 4" iPhone5 on Sprint, thats really my dream machine)

17. andisayd thread starter macrumors newbie

18. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I just do nameofthebook.pdf then convert them to ePub with Calibre.

19. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Check out the Line2 app.

No need for a "phone".

20. GameAmour.com macrumors member

GameAmour.com

iPad is good for textbooks indeed, usually can save up to 50% for digital only editions. If you are going to return iPad, make sure you wont pay the 15% restock fee. If I were you, i'd keep both, but that depends on your budget... In long run, having iphone and all your apps on the go is useful, then using some of the universal apps in the comfort of your sofa and big iPad screen is just heaven... It's a question of comfort, IMHO.
    I find that having phone and tablet/ereader based on the same Os and ability to run same apps on both is a must.

21. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

if i were you since the ipad and iphone interlap some of the roles, i would get a blackberry bold touch instead of the iphone so you get the physical keyboard and also the touch screen and any instance where u would have needed to use an app for the iphone use the ipad... txting email and calls will be much better on the blackberry

22. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

There are multiple websites where you can rent books. Chegg, kno, coursesmart and a few more. Just google iPad textbooks. I got a $320 textbook for the semester on my iPad for $72. Hell of a deal.

23. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

If you're taking out any student loans, return it and put the money back into those. Yes, it can be a very valuable tool for some college students, but if you don't particularly want it, you'll thank yourself a few years from now for having one or two less loan payments to make.

24. andisayd thread starter macrumors newbie

Naw I work two jobs and stay home with my parents. Thank god for no rent and I have loans/scholarships that puts me..... only 2k in debt for one year, which is easily paid off with my jobs.

I will look into more ebooks for the ipad which sounds like a really good solution since I spent 600 bucks on books this semester, to think I couldn't save 300 bucks is crazy!

25. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

When iPad was released I told myself I would never buy one as i already have an iPhone 4 and deemed it pointless to have both.

Now I am here typing away on my iPad 2.....and I am completely in love with it.

I am addicted to apple.