Feeling kind of bad about my diet.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ZiggyPastorius, Jul 5, 2008.

1. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I know there are quite a few diet/exercise/food threads, but I've been thinking about this a lot, and I want to know your guys' opinions.

I'm a pretty in-shape person. I'm pretty skinny, and I exercise enough (I think). Meaning, I bike about 10-15 miles 4-5 times a week, and I walk about an hour a few times every week. I also walk whenever things are close, and that sort of thing...I understand a lot of my skinniness and good metabolism is genetic, but I think I get a fair amount of exercise (though recommendations are welcome). I'm not very physically buff, and I really don't want to be that much.

Anyways, my problem: I like to think I'm a decent eater, but I know that the reality is that I don't. I think I have a major problem with sweets, possibly a mild addiction to chocolate/cookies. I eat cookies whenever I go to work, sometimes quite a few, and I feel like I have to have cookies whenever I get there. I know I shouldn't eat them, but it's hard. It's not very often, but occasionally I will have some chips..I also like Ice cream and such, and I drink energy drinks quite a bit (though I'll happily say that's a lot rarer than it used to be. I'm also not a big fan of soda, but I do drink it sometimes.

I know it's kind of hard to ask for advice when you guys don't really know me, but I'll try anyways...What can I do to eat a bit healthier..how many cookies and stuff is too many...and how can I try to break from eating so many cookies and stuff? I've tried cold turkey, but it's hard. Thanks, guys.

Here's some accompanying pictures:

The first is my stomach, to show my weight/skinness:

[​IMG]

Then my lack of muscle:

[​IMG]

Then a picture of me standing next to all the energy drinks I drank in a four week period last summer:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. GUILTIE macrumors regular

Buy some healthier cookies or when you pack your lunch for work make sure to only put 2-4 in!

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Ziggy, settle down, please.

How old are you for a start??

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

discipline man. just make it a goal to not eat sweet when you normally would. i wouldnt cut it out totally but just reduce it if you know what i mean

5. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Haha, I didn't think I was being really rambunctious. :p I'm 17.

I've been trying for a while...Usually, I can do pretty good about it, but sometimes, like today, I just end up eating more, because I crave them...

What are some good recommendations for healthier cookies? The big problem is that I work at Subway, so I just buy the cookies as the day goes on.

Edit: What I'm really curious about, is if I do manage to curb some of my eating, how much exercise is going to help, even if I were to still eat some cookies and stuff? I didn't used to exercise a lot, but I've tried to kick it up as much as I can. I just don't want to become like my dad, who was my weight area 'til he got out of the Navy when he was 24, and now he weighs 300+ pounds..

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Stop drinking your calories. Do you realize how many empty calories are in energy drinks and sodas?

7. GUILTIE macrumors regular

Maybe setting a goal for something you want to save up for will stop you from buying little things like cookies. Like me, I'm saving for a MBP - no buying cookies for me! :D

8. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Well, I said in my initial post, that I've cut my energy drink consumption considerably...from 8-12 a week to maybe one a week. I know I could cut them completely, and I try to drink them as little as possible, but I used to be addicted to caffeine, and I sometimes get little cravings.

Yeah, I've been telling myself it's too expensive. I usually only buy them when I have change in my backpocket, but, still...I am saving up for things right now (so much stuff >.<) So, I'll keep working at trying to cut the cookies and stuff.

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

First step:
    Don't carry change for the vending machines. Make it hard to get the cookies and candies. Stop drinking the energy drinks. "Energy" is a code word for sugar and simple carbs.

Second step:
    Start eating balanced meals and snacks that contain balanced amounts of protein, complex carbohydrates, and fats. Plan ahead and take fruit, nuts, cheese and vegetables to work with you.

Here's the problem:
    You feel short on energy so you eat a cookie or drink a sugary drink. The sugars/simple carbs go pretty much straight to your bloodstream, spiking your blood glucose level. Your brain says "Holy ****, gotta do something with all this glucose" and ramps up the production of insulin, which starts flooding your bloodstream. The insulin metabolizes the sugar and brings the glucose levels back down. We're OK so far.

BUT -- because the sugary snack is so quickly digested, there isn't anything remaining in your digestive system to keep putting in glucose. The sugar production quits almost as soon as it started. However the insulin production once kickstarted can't be shut down that quickly and it keeps pouring insulin into the system. That insulin consumes the remaining glucose in your blood, bringing you to a dangerously low glucose level.

Because your body cells depend on glucose to fuel them, you start feeling light-headed and jumpy, and your brain says "Holy ****, I'm starving for fuel here! Quick man, eat something! Make it sweet, and fast!" So you grab another cookie for a quick hit of glucose.

Repeat.

Sound familiar? And if you drink caffienated beverages along with the snack, it substantially elevates the initial blood glucose levels and amplifies the effect.

This happens because our bodies aren't evolved to handle high sugar, high refined starch foods (they don't usually exist in nature)

What our bodies are built to handle is foods that have sugars and complex (unrefined) carbs, PLUS fibre, protein and fats. These foods take longer to digest, and provide a gradual and sustained release of nutrients into the bloodstream.

So the trick is not to stop eating, but to change what you are eating.
    Try to get fibre (undigestible carbs) and protein into every meal and snack, and cut back on anything with added sugars, corn syrup, glucose/fructose, and white (refined) starches. A whole apple is far better than apple juice - because the juice is pure sugars, while the whole apple has fibre and other nutrients that slow down the glucose spike. Even better, an apple with cheese adds protein and some fats. Whole grains are better than refined grains, because they have fibre and more protein.

Including some 'good' fats such as nuts and vegetable oils into your snacks helps because fats give you that 'satisfied' feeling, and again, slow down the glucose spike. Unfortunately, commercial baked goods such as bran muffins and cookies and candy contain far too much of the 'bad' fats -- trans fats and hydrogenated, modified fats.

Instead of energy drinks (expensive sugar water - a total ripoff and unhealthy as %%%%), make your own protein smoothie drinks to take with you

Whey, soy or hemp protein powder for protein
    Ground flax for fibre and good Omega oils
    Milk or soy or almond milk (although read the labels for fats and sugars in the milk substitutes)

Walnuts and almonds are great. Peanuts a bit less so.

Vegetable slices are ideal - nosh on broccoli florets all day if you want.

Whole fruit is good, but keep in mind that apples and oranges and grapes and dried fruits do pack a lot of sugar calories with them. Bananas in moderation, they are high in simple carbs.

10. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

At 17, this is the time for you to be setting the pace for the rest of your life. Meaning, learn the discipline now, and not pay for it in the older years. Trust me, it ain't easy to get the weight off now :(

11. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Thanks so much Canada RAM! A lot of this is stuff I knew, but don't really understand all that much, but this is some very good advice. I've tried replacing the foods in my house with more fruits and stuff, and even got my mom a long time ago to very rarely buy soda (mainly because my 10 year old brother is about 40 pounds heavier than I am, and 7 years younger). But, I hope I can work some of that stuff into our house, because as it stands, when I want something to eat, I either have to go somewhere and buy it (meaning, fast food and stuff is a problem), or I have to grab something quick, like boxed/frozen foods and the like. There is not a lot of foods here for me to prepare that are healthy and stuff. It'll be hard, but I guess my best bet will be to try to get my mom to up to food healthiness a bit. Thanks for the advice again, and I will work on this.

12. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

I'm in your position except for I have stayed skinny and gained muscle. I've also changed my diet up. Energy Drinks= very bad. Don't drink them they damage your body and make you crash a lot sooner then you think so you just grab another. Also cookies cut them out of your diet, your blood pressure, cholesterol and heart will thank you later. My mom and stepmom are both personal trainers so I realize yea it takes a lot of hard work. But to be honest, 2 weeks. Go hard core for two weeks without the cookies, without the energy drinks. Not a single one and you will start to adjust. Right now it sounds like you have a psychological and physical addiction which isn't good at all. Technically they say you need to do something 75 times before it's a habit so just think about that. It takes time.

13. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

All rightie. Though, to be fair to the caffeine, it doesn't make me crash anymore :p Or if it does, it's unnoticable. I used to be addicted to caffeine really badly and I've had so much of it, it doesn't really affect me anymore, besides in the inner workings of my body that is, and the occasional craving. I agree 100%, though, that they're terrible, and I shouldn't drink them. They're a waste of money, too. I've spent hundreds of dollars on them, when I could spend it on things much more important.

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Heres a couple of suggestions:

1)
    Oatmeal
    Ground Flax
    Whey Protein powder (I use some that is flavored and sweetened with Stevia, so no sugar - you can buy this at health food stores or places that cater to weightlifters)
    Ground Chia seed (this can be bought at health food stores and at Costco pharmacy (!) its a good source of complex carbs and omega oils)
    Cinnamon
    A few raisins or chopped dried apricots.

Grind the flax and the chia seed in a coffee grinder or food processor (I have a Braun coffee grinder ($19) dedicated to just this). Put the mixture into a baggie or a tupperware container. When you are ready to eat, mix in skim milk or yogurt, wait a minute for the liquid to soak in, then eat it up. This is a stick to your ribs breakfast or snack, and is just about nutritionally perfectly balanced.

2)
    Eggs are great. Hardboiled, you can carry them with you.
    Or scramble them with a bunch of vegetables for a stir fry. Fast and nutritious.

3)
    Unsweetened yogurts are a good balance of protein fats and carbs. Do you have a place at work to keep them cool? They are cheaper than the energy drinks you are buying.

4)
    A single small square of premium dark chocolate (70% or higher cocoa content) can be as satisfying as a whole candy bar, and is far better for you.

5)
    Veggies, veggies, veggies. Raw if you can. Celery, broccoli, red and yellow peppers, zucchini sticks all can be carried in a baggie for snacks. Some carrots, but not too overboard, they have a fair bit of sugar.

Granola bars and protein bars are unfortunately often as high in sugars as the cookies. But if you are stuck, a protein bar (not 'energy' bar or 'sports' bar) with 12 grams of protein or more, is an option. Just realize you're getting 300 or more calories along with the protein.

15. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

A thing with caffein, is it is a appetite suppressant, but at a price. For me, it jacked my Blood-pressure sky high, and gave me bad headaches, and I'm not talking about the withdrawal ones either. ;) Did about 10 Tylenol a day for it, and dang near messed my liver up in the process.

It is a drug, and it is addictive as you already know. Plain diets, are the hardest to stay on, but they have the best payoff in the end.

16. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Very good recommendations :) I only drink 2% milk...I can't stand whole milk, and I only drink skim milk with other things, like coffee...

I'm not sure if I can go for all of those things, but oatmeal, I can probably get for the morning. Time is an issue, but eggs and oatmeal are things I enjoy and can probably stick into my daily meals. Although, I don't like hardboiled eggs. I can't stand hardened egg yolks..I like scrambled and over-easy. I know those are fried, but are they still pretty good?

Do they have to be unsweetened? >.< I like fruit yogurts...

I hate milk chocolate :) I love dark chocolate so much. I tend to eat too much of it, though, so probably not the best idea...I get 85% dark chocolate and keep it frozen, it's very good.

I work at Subway, and I eat Veggie subs quite a bit. I can try to get my mom to get us some veggies at home for dinner ideas.

Edit: Another HUGE problem I have is sleep. I have so much to do, that I hate sleeping a lot. I wish it didn't have to be done, because I know it's having a bad effect on me. For example: I didn't sleep at all the past two days (not last night, but the two nights before that), and I've worked every day and such, and last night I went to my fiancée's house, fell asleep there for like an hour and a half, then came home, worked until like 2AM, then fell asleep and didn't wake 'til like 1PM. It's a terrible routine, because there's no set times. The problem is, though, that I have so much stuff to do, and it varies, so that I can't add specific times. I hate it, though, because I know it messes with my eating and everything else as well. Sigh.

17. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

CanadaRAM's suggestions are quite excellent, especially the recommendations of oatmeal and dark chocolate.

IIRC, Subways have fantastic blenders. Instead of using the syrup garbage, buy a bag of frozen fruit (strawberries and blueberries) and toss 'em in with the ice. Berries are high in fibre. You can actually make orange juice by blending whole oranges, too. One of my favourite smoothies to make is fast and simple; two peeled oranges, a handful of grapes, and half a cup of vanilla soymilk. Take advantage of the blender at your work.

The most important thing, though, is to take a little time and learn about nutrition. It's startling how few people know what a calorie is, let alone the differences between different sources. Men's Health magazine and website has some pretty good recommendations for active nutrition and recipes, but there are plenty of other resources available.

As to your metabolism; while it's a bit of an oversimplification, your metabolism is basically the idling cost of the muscles in your body. If you want to maintain a quick and healthy metabolism for life, you need to maintain a healthy body composition of muscle and body fat.

Remember, being healthy is a lifestyle, not just a diet.

18. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Thanks, Iscariot. Our Subway is one of the ones that doesn't do smoothies, though I have a blender at home. I used to make smoothies all the time with my grandma, and I have a big book of fruit&such combinations for smoothies. Perhaps I'll grab that :) Are frozen fruits really okay for you? Wouldn't fresh fruits be better?

I don't think I'm quite ready at this point in my life to become a vegetarian, and I don't plan on ever becoming vegan, but, maybe at some point in my life, I will go vegetarian.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean in your talk about metabolism. If you'd like to elabourate, that'd be cool :) If not, that's all right. I don't want to work out a lot and stuff. I walk and bike and such, but lifting weights and the like is not my thing.

By the way, I'm looking for some advice...I'm thinking of making the grocery list next time my mom gets groceries. Gonna try to get rid of some of the boxed/frozen foods and get some fresh veggies, fruits, and whatever else. Problem is, I need some recommendations for stuff to get, and some ideas for meals I can actually make with the stuff, because, if not, I won't be able to make the list very well...So, any help with that'd be appreciated.

By the way, I just went for a 45 minute walk to Subway, got a Veggie Mini sub on white with pepper jack cheese, carrots, lettuce, pickles, green peppers, onions, and banana peppers with ranch, vinegar and parmesan cheese...is that good? o.o I also got some apple slices and ate those, and a tea. I feel pretty good right now, besides the fact that my grandma died...

19. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

20. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

21. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Fresh is always better, but as someone who is very busy I'm sensitive to the time investment of always eating fresh. Frozen fruit is always better than cookies or fast food, which tends to become the convenient alternative.

Heh. Have I become the MR vegetarian ambassador? I always give nutritional advice based on an omnivorous diet :)

Metabolism is the rate at which you burn calories. Muscle mass essentially has an upkeep cost; even if you're not using them at the moment, your muscles are consuming energy. The greater your muscle mass, the more energy your body burns when it's not doing anything, so the faster your metabolism. Think of it this way; fat cells are storage containers, and muscles are machines. The more machines you have, the more fuel you burn.

Men's Health: Food For Fitness

Good choices:

Grapes
    Bananas
    Nuts (Almonds specifically, walnuts are also good)
    Raisins
    Lean fish/chicken
    Whole wheat pasta
    Brown rice
    Quinoa (it's a grain, kinda like rice)
    Hummus

Try to get processed foods like condiments and salad dressings organic. While the health benefits of organics are dubious, these items will have less preservatives and refined sugar.

Easy recipes:

Boiled pasta + chopped tomatoes + chopped peppers + salad dressing = pasta salad (different dressings make for variety)
    Chopped lean chicken sauteed with soup for a sauce (seriously, soups, especially onion) + brown rice
    Salmon sauteed with lemon served on mashed beans (cook beans, mash like potatoes)
    Quinoa (cooks in about 7 minutes) + salad dressing, this is the easiest thing in the world to make
    Pasta + stir fry of chopped tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, yellow zuchinni, and crushed red pepper
    Stir fry/grill red and yellow peppers, serve on flatbread with hummus

22. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Please, keep your shirt on. Please. (Nothing against you--just don't want to see anyone's shirt off, really)

23. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I body build a little, but I find the best way to stay in shape is to find a sport/physical activity that you really enjoy (and can preferably do solo) and just stick with it. For me, I rock climb constantly, and I play frisbee from time to time with my friends.

24. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Fruit yogurts are OK, but read the labels and avoid the ones with added sweeteners (corn syrup, 'cane juice', sucrose, glucose/fructose).

Fried eggs are fine if you use a non-stick pan and minimal oil to fry them in and don't let the pan get scorching hot. Eggs cook so fast, and at such low temps, you don't have to worry about high temp carcinogenic byproducts.

Frozen fruits are fine in smoothies - blueberries are particularly good. Frozen veggies are also OK if it's the only way to get them into your menu. Go light on the peas and corn, stick with the beans and broccoli.

Subway subs are actually not that great -- because they come standard with very high calorie mayonnaises and sauces and butter substitute. If you do get a sub, forget any mayo, sauce/dressing or butter. Check your local grocery store deli counter -- a spinach salad with egg, or a chef salad with chicken or tuna is a better choice for the same money.

It goes without saying - avoid anything that is deep fried, including donuts, potato chips (crisps) and fries (chips).

25. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Er, unless it's my avatar where you have no choice to see it any thread I've posted in, I don't really understand what the problem is...? If you don't want to see the shirtless picture I posted as a reference to my topic, then don't come to the thread...very simple. I know it sounds rude, but no more rude than your OT post.

Thanks for the more ideas, Iscariot and CanadaRAM...Boy, you guys have a really odd choice in foods, haha...I can't eat tomatoes, I don't like fish (I do like bluegills, though..), I don't like beans, peas, or corn...I know I'm being picky :eek: I'll take a look at that website, and see if I can find any good ideas for stuff I could make (and like) for my mom and brother and I. Hopefully, I'll be able to stick with all this stuff, as I know it's hard.

The biggest step, I think, is going to be getting the easy-make stuff and sweets out of my house, and get some good, easy-to-make stuff in. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to food, so it'll be a challenge, but I'm going to try to keep myself near all the stuff that's good, so I don't find myself eating the worse stuff out of convenience.