Feeling Like a Tool When Using Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by arj8138, Feb 28, 2009.

1. arj8138 macrumors member

I dont know if Im the only one who feels this way but I sometimes feel like such a douche when I carry around my iPod Touch and my Palm Treo because a lot of people think I have two cellphones - which either means Im a drug dealer or a dbag - and I dont think either is true.

Anyone else ever feel this way? Before I had the Treo [which i got for free btw] I had just a crappy free phone from AT&T so I still had the same problem with people thinking I had two cellphones but atleast they both werent smart phones.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

only the cool people will know its just a Touch. the doucebags will think its an iPhone.

3. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

I wouldn't say they're douce bags, they just don't know what the main differences are on an iPod touch and an iPhone. Pretty much all of my friends have asked "is that an iPhone?"

Normally when I use my iPod touch I have my phone in my pocket anyway.

4. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

Apparently I'm a douche/drug dealer because I always have 2 phones.

Of course, I feel like a douche when I'm carrying my work Nextel-brick, regardless of what else I have with me.

5. bingbong951 macrumors newbie

Duh

Well I sum times do the same thing. I have an HTC touch pro and a 1st Gen. iPod touch. But still some people will ask is that an iPhone. And then I think to myself they are so dumb hello this isn't an iPhone its an iPod.

6. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

or they'll think it's an iphone and think you have one for work and one for personal(very common)

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Haha, that reminds me of last year, when I was in my final year at high school. I was in my study period at school, and my friend was playing a game on my iPod. These kids a few grades below us came into the library and came up and asked if it was an iPhone. I said no, and they go "but...it has a touch screen!"...I was like duh, it's an iPod touch. And they go, "but the iPhone looks like that!" ...DUH! They're made by the same people! "But doesn't that mean it's an iPhone then, if it's made by the same people?" FACEPALM.

To add to their stupidity, one of them came up to me at lunch several days later asking "if I could show their friend my iPhone". Just...ugh...

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I have a touch and a treo. Best of both worlds. Well one vibrant world and one world that's very expensive and deserted and not as good.

9. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

or your a douche because you have a job that requires a gay phone haha:p

10. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Or you're a douche because you think using "gay" in a derogatory sense is cool?

11. muldul macrumors 6502

I have the touch, and a Sony erricson w910i, so most people think i have an iPhone, but carry around my Sony erricson instead, if i don't want to get my iPhone damaged. At least they think i don't have two smart phones

12. Brewerpaul macrumors regular

Don't worry so much about what other people think. Use your phone when you need it, use your Touch when you need/want to. Let'em think what they want.

Unless of course, you really ARE a douche....:rolleyes: (Just kidding ya, man!)

Aside: Douche is a French word for "shower", and also used for feminine hygiene products. How the heck did it get the meaning that it has today?

13. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

Why does it look like two phones? Are you holding the iPT to your ear?

Kinda like GAY, huh?

14. arj8138 thread starter macrumors member

I never hold the iPod Touch to my ear but I have in the past checked my email on my Touch, had a phone number in the email that I then had to either call or text on my Treo, so I had both out at one.

Also someone will see me texting on my Treo and be like I thought you had an iPhone?!

---

There are two big reasons why I never got the iPhone in the first place.

1. Im a poor college student and I cant justify an extra $30 a month for the data plan when my campus has free WiFi and my downtown city has free WiFi
    and
    2. As mentioned above, I like the ability to leave my uber expensive touch device at home and just take my crappy cellphone with me. Granted the Treo isnt that crappy but in comparison to an iPhone it is. Dont hate me for saying that Treo lovers.

I think the big deal now is that I rarely find myself leaving my Touch at home, and since im up for a new contract on AT&T and I could get a referb 8gb for $100 im starting to consider it.

But I think ill just wait until my Touch breaks. If my Treo breaks ill just get a phone from ebay or something, but if the Touch breaks looks like im going iPhone!

15. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I have two phones because my job requires a bb and won't support an iphone. There's no voice plan on the bb if that makes me less of a tool. :rolleyes:

16. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Last week, a co-worker asked me where I got that cool looking calculator from. ;) :D

So don't worry, it could be worse. :rolleyes:

17. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm not a drug dealer but, I have 2 iPhones and an iPod touch. These things are similar to drugs though... I'm hooked.

18. synagence macrumors 6502a

Do you think people are THAT bothered if you have 2 phones?

Why are YOU that bothered about what people you'll never meet again think?

19. muldul macrumors 6502

That happens to me, everyone thinks i spent a load on a touch calculator, even though they know i have a touch, they think it is something else.
    I once took it into a test as i forgot my calculator, the invidulator just looked at it and then asked where he could get one lol

20. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm glad you brought that up. My girlfriend is constantly worried about what strangers may think about her. I try to tell her, who cares what they think... it's not like you're going to see them again or anything. Oh well... I guess some people are more self-concious than others.

21. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You're not sure if you're a drug dealer? You don't have self-esteem issues, do you? ;)

Frankly, I don't give a **** what people think when I have an iPT and a BlackBerry.

I believe "SmyD" comes to mind! :D

22. synagence macrumors 6502a

I carry 2 devices anyway .... i have an iPhone as my personal phone and i have a blackberry from work ... all my colleagues are in the same position ... its quite common these days for people to have multiple devices

23. arj8138 thread starter macrumors member

The problem isnt people that I dont know, its people I do know.

People that I work with, who know that I dont have a work phone and a personal phone, think I have two phones. Only my friends who I see often remember that I have a Treo and an iPT.

I think there is still some need to having two devices.

Case in point:
    Yesterday my iPT wouldnt turn on, something crashed inside while at work. I was still able to make calls/send texts because of my Treo. Another big deal was that I take the bus to and from downtown and my bus schedules all reside on my Touch because its easier for the device to read documents than my treo - crazy I know. Anyway I was lucky because I had loaded the part of the bus schedule that I needed onto my Treo and was able to make it home. Another case in point for having two devices I guess :/

24. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

or your a douche because you get angry when someone uses gay in way you dont like

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I carry 2 phones around all the time. Sometimes 3. Sure people think I'm weird, but so what?

It was weirder when I moved 3 laptops, 3 cellphones, a PDA, and 2 iPods through airport security. People looked at me like I was crazy.