Feels like iPad is losing its magic...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Poochi, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

I did order the iPad mini just for the sake of curiosity...

To be perfectly honest, I haven't felt this... indifferent... about iPad since its first release...

Can't be a good sign for apple if anyone else felt the same way?

And this indifference is carrying over to the feeling for the iPhone too... I have the 5, yes, but I was thinking 4S would have been good enough.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

This constant cycle of innovation and upgrade is not limitless. It will end. Question is when. When do we hit that ceiling?

Same reason we don't live like the Jettson's...

3. Poochi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poochi

It's probably the feeling that the party is coming to an end...

4. aviddk macrumors regular

5. M87 macrumors 65816

I recommend checking out some of the competing devices if you haven't, really renewed my appreciation for Apple.

6. Poochi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poochi

I believe that. Getting used to the goodness and not knowing what's "Bad" anymore lol.

I all fairness I still love all the Apple stuff I own :)

Just not getting excited for the first time since iPhone that Apple announces something "new".

7. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

The only devices which are remotely attractive besides iOS are windows.

8. Zarkizon macrumors member

I think that Apple's hardware is actually pretty decent; it keeps getting "twice as fast" about every year it seems. I think that they should work on their software more than anything at this point.

9. Bokes macrumors 6502

I don't know about that.
    A friend just bought the Fire HD and it's pretty sweet.
    It does everything I use the iPad for in smaller format.
    I had much appreciation for what Amazon produced and I'm looking forward the Nook HD.

10. nStyle macrumors 6502a

Anyone stop to read OP's extensive list of current gen Apple products? I mean, I have nearly the same list but I still am really excited about the mini. I have no idea why I need it or what will become of my ipad 3 but I am still highly curious like op.

I was a little disappointed there was no major iPhone overhaul, but I am also excited at the same time that the mini imitates the ip5 design, creating a bit of differentiation from other idevices.

Hands down my Mbpr is the most amazing laptop I have ever owned and for that I am satisfied.

it's all about learning to be satisfied and quit hoping and waiting

11. Poochi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poochi

I also had iPhone 3, 3GS, 4, 4S / iPad 1, 2, 3 / Macbook unibody, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, Mac mini, iMac... before that the nano got me sucked into Apple brand (had Sony network walkman prior to that and their software was **** to use so I tried Apple)

And this is the first time I didn't feel the same excitement other than curiosity about the iPad mini.

12. MrMacBookPro macrumors 6502

not sure what you mean by "it will end".. As long as Apple keeps putting out great products this billion dollar company will be around for years to come.. Technology is advancing faster than they can put out new products...

What a silly statement...

13. Poochi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poochi

I guess the real question is not about technology advancing or not, rather if Apple or any tech company can translate the advancement into something amazing where consumer can be awed and feel the difference right away.

Maybe what we are missing here is Steve's infamous "reality distortion field".

14. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

The way I see it Apple is not changing the iPad or iOS drastically. Worst is that the market is getting over saturated with these devices that people really do not need. If Apple sales 10 million ipad's next week 10 million iPad's just don't disappear; there being sold or given to friends and families. I think it's a major mistake on Apple's part making the iPad mini into a weaker more expensive device. Or by releasing the iPad 4 without a complete makeover.
    Apple/Tim Cook needs a "new" device that will make people say; "man I got to have one" at a price people can afford. Laptops and computers over $1000 and rehashed iPads will not do that.

15. RVdave, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

RVdave macrumors member

Am I the only Apple fan who is getting tired of regularly making expensive purchases of Apple devices, only to hear that a new improved model is just around the corner? Four months ago I spent $900 for an iPad 3, and now learn that it'll soon be an antique. So, my time of having the latest and greatest was very short-lived. I'm now seriously considering going to the dark side! Maybe it's time, since I need 2 new iPhones, to get a 5 and a Galaxy. Yes, I know this may create some compatibility issues, and I'll have to buy some new apps, but at least I'll be able to transition to the most stable product, whichever one it is. Anyone else feel this way? Thanks

16. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

You know there is a huge segment of our society unlike those of us that post on this forum that go to stores look through want is available and then make a purchase. Apple marketing helps them, the fact that they have their own stores and any other retail outlet they are in, they tend to stand out from all the other electronics.

I don't think these people start saying... oh the light is no longer shinning on Apple, they have lost it.

These doom and gloom predictions and saying this kind of crazy stuff has been going on since the original iPhone was released. Folks said no one will buy that. Until Apple starts reporting that the are no longer stock piling cash, they aren't coming close or meeting sales goals... then all this in my book is just total and utter nonsense.

I do not have to feel excited for a product release to still be worthy of being released. By the way Apple has never forced me to buy their products or the upgrade to the next version when they update them.

17. supertomtom macrumors 6502

supertomtom

I'm a bit the same, still enjoy my apple devices, just haven't really felt that initial "magic" anymore. There is one thing I'm looking forward to being announced tho and that's hopefully an updated Cinema Display with iMac's thinness. That'll make me want to get a 15" rMBP to go with it, haha.

18. coldpower27 macrumors regular

I will wait till I get a chance to try it out in store, I usually don't get the first generation of something. Want to see how well the iPad Mini is, basically just like a shrunk down version of my existing iPad 2.

19. lowlypeace macrumors member

I think you have "ifatigue" heh

having all the displays you need and more, there is nothing new to be had other than tweaks to things you already own

I have several other iOS devices, and I think I will get rid of them all and just use the mini, prioritise, get some money back - it really is a waste of money and overkill to have a full size iPad, mini and iPhone, if only apple would build in phone capability to the iPad mini it would be perfect mobile device to me, as I only use speaker phone to avoid the cancer radiation

20. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

ipad is the only consistent thing in this market! Apple started this and in the end, Android will not prevail....the ipad is just that much better......nothing beats the ecosystem....

21. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

It's still going to be usefull to me after the smoke clears but the main thing that ticks me is the nickel and dime'n apple is doing to its core users.

That A6X should have been in the march release and if it wasn't ready, that iPad shouldn't have been released if they new they wasn't going to be fully ready till now with it.

They could of easily pushed back the release of the iPad 3 and deliverd it with all the fixings. Cut your fans some slack. Your killing your fan base!

The iPad gets the powerful chip then the iPhone. Seems apple is doin backwards **** now. I let them slide with going from fat to skinny to real fat. They are getting out of hand now. Bloating the apple store with nonsense for no reason.

/rant

Ps: This is my opinion. Respect it.

22. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

Maybe it's because you already have a more powerful iPad?

I don't think it's Apple fatigue, as much as it's product fatigue or maybe just something you don't really care about.

From my point of view, I own a Mac pro, I'd love for Apple to release a new Mac pro so I can have a clear upgrade path (especially with some new, native video hardware), etc. The new mac mini / iMac did absolutely nothing for me. Either did the mini, I like the bigger size iPad 3, I don't need or want something between my iPhone and my iPad. For me, it's a bit of a whatever type of thing.

For someone with no tablet, an old e-reader or even a 1st gen iPad, the mini might be awesome.

23. techkidd4400 macrumors regular

I feel the same way. I am usually an early adopter, but I have an iPad 3 and the iPad mini seems meh. And, after waiting so long for the iPhone 5, I think Apple ended up delivering a lot of innovation in iOS 6, but the phone, itself, not so much. I may hold onto my iPhone 4 longer.

24. RVdave macrumors member

Wow, finally a thread with sincere, honest responses, and no put-downs. Must be because it's past the kids' bedtime. Thanks members, you've restored my faith in civility.

25. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

I play MMORPGs. I first began in EverQuest in 1999. A new reality, a new world. Every step I took, I was scared to death. The game was difficult. I loved it, it was ... Magic! Now, 13 years and many different dumbed down games later, it's still fun but the magic faded a long time ago.

I think perhaps that is what OP might be feeling. Nothing is really shiny and new anymore, that first magic is gone. It's ok though. Just enjoy all your devices, but stop pursuing the magic. You will be a lot more content.