Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I'd like to arm myself with some details about Mac, like SL, and their 08/09 model components etc.. or anything that can help me fend off mac bashers!
If anyone knows any good info to put em in their place and stop them bashing, please leme know!

I have a few questions, often people say Mac is too expensive, I normally counter this by saying, the quality of the hardware is superb, which I absolutely believe. But I've had some people say it's the same/similar to PCs, is that true?

Are Apple components really better? or high quality? do Apple modify the processor/GPU/hdd/RAM to make it really good quality, or anything like that?

Is there anything, apart from getting to use OSX :D, that makes Mac computers more valuable, that we don't know about or aren't told?

Some kind of super design structure or something?

Kind Regards

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
just ignore them. Nothing else works. When people want to bitch and moan it does not matter what you tell them, just that they have your ear.

Dan73

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Are Apple components really better? or high quality? do Apple modify the processor/GPU/hdd/RAM to make it really good quality, or anything like that?

No. Intel makes the CPU and Nvidia the GPU, same as I have in my desktop with windows.

On a hardware basis mac are more expensive than what you can get from another company. But I do love my mac's build quality with the unibody, no squeaks, sturdy and beautiful.

The whole Windows vs Mac think is stupid, I never really got it anyways. Both have their +/-'s

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
@synth3tik, Yeah, that's true, but I must say, I enjoy arguing, and I'd like to know what I can say that makes me think I'm gunna win. Even if they are just endlessly going on, once I've said my winning line I'll be happy mwahah lol.

I'm a Mac basher basher :cool:

EDIT: @Dan73, hmm ok, the only benefit to Windows I see is gaming :O

Kind Regards

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
Depending who the person is, i just ignore them. The guys at work give me heaps all the time so i have now become a Vista hater, and constantly remind them how crap it is when something they try to do fails and its a simple job for a mac to handle.

dandaman2

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2008
Realize it's a matter of preference, mac isn't that much better, and joke along with them. You will appear a a cool dude who's not too obsessed with the superiority of his computer of choice and maybe even someone who's relatable.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I know it's a matter of choice, but I believe mac is better,
and the mac bashers will then be justified by saying mac are
a rip off, because of the price, if I'm saying it's not much better

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
who really cares, they are just computers

if your big worry is about defending apple, your life must be pretty good

however, arguing for a company is silly as whats the point? are you employed by this company or something? i mean really??

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Lol, it's not my big worry, but when I come across mac bashers, there is nothing more I'd like to do to shove some hard facts in there face that proves Mac is better, OS over OS is purely preference, I believe the Mac's hardware is much better and more stable and better quality than normal, I don't know why.

My mac never crashes, even dual booting into Windows 7 my Mac never crashes, nor do XP or Vista in Parallels. My PC used to crash often, sluggish, slow, freeze etc...

I'd be playing a game and it would randomly freeze during the game, had to restart each time. It was only 1-2 years old when it was passed down to me. and the one I used before that had heaps of problems too.

I'd like to know some good facts about either Snow Leopard that makes it better than Windows 7, speed? security? I know features like Expose & Time Machine & Spaces are reason enough for me, but is there anything else?

Or the hardware, I know the Intel CPU and NVidia GPU both come as is,
but is there anything else, like the fans? cooling? structure? energy use?
RAM or type of RAM etc..

Kind Regards

Dan73

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
I'd be playing a game and it would randomly freeze during the game, had to restart each time. It was only 1-2 years old when it was passed down to me. and the one I used before that had heaps of problems too.

Well then there was something wrong with the computer. I used Vista and never had a BSOD. Vista was pretty bad when it came out but its vastly improved since then, still a lot of annoying features though. Many people are still riding the "VISTA SUX!1!" bandwagon though. Actually I'm downloading Windows 7 right now (legally from MSDN AA) and will be setting it up soon and looking forward to it.

Don't forget that Macs have their share of problems too.

RAM or type of RAM etc..

Nope, same parts that are used in other computers. Don't remember who makes the RAM or the HD, but I know my 13" MBP's display is made by Samsung. The only thing thats different really is that macs use EFI instead of BIOS, which is created by Intel.

Macs do have a unique brand style that is beautiful though. Also its the only laptop I've ever dealed with that felt solid and doesn't rattle or squeak.

Andrew Henry

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2008
Listen bud, all of the components in a Mac are the same exact ones that can be used in a PC, there is nothing special about them except for the fact Apple puts them together. I can see that you're hoping and wishing there is something magical about Apple hardware but there isn't. The hardware has the same failure rates as hardware in a PC, you have just got lucky and haven't had any problems yet. The only thing special about a Mac is the OS, and the fact it's made by Apple. Let it go, you're wasting your time. Be the bigger person and don't get caught up in the petty stuff.

Lol, it's not my big worry, but when I come across mac bashers, there is nothing more I'd like to do to shove some hard facts in there face that proves Mac is better, OS over OS is purely preference, I believe the Mac's hardware is much better and more stable and better quality than normal, I don't know why.

My mac never crashes, even dual booting into Windows 7 my Mac never crashes, nor do XP or Vista in Parallels. My PC used to crash often, sluggish, slow, freeze etc...

I'd like to know some good facts about either Snow Leopard that makes it better than Windows 7, speed? security? I know features like Expose & Time Machine & Spaces are reason enough for me, but is there anything else?

RAM or type of RAM etc..

Kind Regards

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Meh it's not petty, I enjoy it, I really have a hard time believing the only difference between my Mac is that apple put the parts in there,
and I would guess they are all very compatible.. surely OSX on hackintosh doesn't run as well as on a real Mac?

Yea I see some people have there fair share of problems, but I don't see how or why,
I've never had any, not even the slightest thing. Isn't the RAM in Apples different to normal though,
On OWC they say there RAM is apple qualified / apple spec.

If I assembled a PC with the same parts as my Mac, would it cost the same?

Kind Regards

Techhie

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2008
The hub of stupidity
Meh it's not petty, I enjoy it, I really have a hard time believing the only difference between my Mac is that apple put the parts in there,
and I would guess they are all very compatible.. surely OSX on hackintosh doesn't run as well as on a real Mac?

Yea I see some people have there fair share of problems, but I don't see how or why,
I've never had any, not even the slightest thing. Isn't the RAM in Apples different to normal though,

Kind Regards

If you assembled a PC with all of the same parts, it would be a Mac. The truth is, the only things that make it a Mac are the logic board, design, and high price. All of the other components (mostly) are exactly what are used by other companies, and would cost much less when bought from places like TigerDirect. I have this Mac Pro sitting here because I got tired of dealing with OEM's ****** Indonesian support, and not much else. The bigger decision at play here is OS X vs Windows, and anyone will tell you that they both have their pros and cons.

Hermolicious84

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2009
Columbia, MO

Well Macs have a nicer design, build, and finish than anything you could likely put together yourself, but as for internal components, you would save hundreds if not thousands of dollars buying the same components as are in a Mac (depending on the price of the components to begin with). I have no idea how Hackintosh builds run, though.

Dan73

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009

Kind Regards

Ok you caught us, we lied. Macs are powered by UNICORNS, yes UNICORNS!

The new laptops use regular DDR3 1066Mhz laptop memory. Some computers can get cranky using some brands of memory thats why a lot of motherboard manufacturers have list that show compatible memory guaranteed to work. All the "Apple Qualified" means that its guaranteed to work with Macs.

As for the last question: It would be cheaper to build a PC.

Mac Pro: $2500 from Apple

Now building it on your own with the same parts:

Processor -> Intel Xeon X5550 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 95W Quad-Core Server Processor Model BX80602X5550 - $980
Motherboard -> EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED "Overclocker's Pick" 3-Way SLI + PhysX 1366 Intel X58 EATX Intel Motherboard - $420
Ram -> Crucial 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT3KIT12864BA1067 - $60
Hard Drive -> Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - $75
Graphics card -> EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - $160 (Better than the mac pro's)
PSU -> CORSAIR CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power ... - $170

Thats $1865, add in another $100 for a case, $25 for a DVD burner/reader

Total = $1990, thats using the best parts if it wasn't specified on the Apple site. Such at the motherboard is the best from EVGA, the hard drive is the best WD 640GB. If you used cheaper parts that would lower the cost a few hundred more $.

Dan73

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Sorry either the website or my connection crapped out so I mashed the button a few times.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Ok the price difference wasn't to bad.

Man I've been believing this whole time, that apple
hardware is better, how come my mac has never crashed?

I've had several pcs, they always crash, mac never does.

:/

iPhone 62S

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2009
Use this:
ikill-gun.jpg

Andrew Henry

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2008
No offense, if you knew enough about computers in general you'd have a easy time believing they are all the same parts. A hackintosh built with all the same parts will run OS X just as solid as a geniune Mac, and I know this from experience, if you'd like to continue to believe your Mac is special, go ahead but that argument will never work against a PC user who knows better.

Good luck.

EDIT: i've owned plenty of PCs and the only time they crash is generally because of the user, in OS X there are less obvious ways that a user can screw things up, you have to really try hard to mess things up, on a PC more advanced settings/options are in plain sight so it's easier for an inexperienced user to screw stuff up.

Kind Regards

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
Just let it go.

I remember walking into the common room in my uni halls with my iBook and everyone went ******* about it. It was weird.

I was just sort of "screw you, I wouldn't want to use your computer either"

Dan73

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
No offense, if you knew enough about computers in general you'd have a easy time believing they are all the same parts. A hackintosh built with all the same parts will run OS X just as solid as a geniune Mac, and I know this from experience, if you'd like to continue to believe your Mac is special, go ahead but that argument will never work against a PC user who knows better.

Good luck.

EDIT: i've owned plenty of PCs and the only time they crash is generally because of the user, in OS X there are less obvious ways that a user can screw things up, you have to really try hard to mess things up, on a PC more advanced settings/options are in plain sight so it's easier for an inexperienced user to screw stuff up.

Off topic but you have a total of 3 X-25's... Would you like to buy me one 80GB 2nd Gen? :D

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
@ iPhone 62S, no thx.

@Andrew, meh I know a lot about computers, just only started using Mac, maybe 7 months ago, and have just always thought the reason Mac
doesn't crash is because it's better hardware. Perhaps it's just all
very good parts that work very well with each other. Or maybe it's Leopard/SL.

I have no doubt Apple parts are good quality, just thought they'd be awesomer quality :p

Well at least I know now, helps my arguing :)

I assure you I never committed the user error crime on any of my PCs, that I remember anyway.
I think I'll put PCs having crashes and stuff, just down to
poor quality of hardware, damaged hardware, and a little to Windows.
And user error in some cases.

I just want the truth fyi, so I know what I'm talking about.

@instax, haha yeah, I just enjoy arguing for Mac. perhaps I'm a lawyer and I just don't know it yet?

I want all the facts, so I know what I'm talking about, I don't want to be talking about stuff
that isn't true.

Kind Regards

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.