Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Feral Announces 'F1 2016' Coming to Mac on April 6 for $49.99

ikir

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Doesn't mean it’s the same game. We’ll have to wait and see if the Mac port has the same functionality.

It is the same game... it is a port by Feral, with steam play on Steam it means the game is the same. The only difference is Mac versione is faster thanks to Metal.
Macrumors should be renamed whinerumors

H2SO4

macrumors 601
Nov 4, 2008
It is the same game... it is a port by Feral, with steam play on Steam it means the game is the same. The only difference is Mac version is faster thanks to Metal.
Macrumors should be renamed whinerumors
LOL, yeah I remember trying to play F1 2013, BioShock and Splinter Cell with a controller on the Mac - keyboard only my friend. It may have the same name but it doesn't guarantee the same game.
So the metal port makes it faster does it, played it or seen benchmarks have you?
Whinerumors should be renamed Pwndrumors.

Max Portakabin

Suspended
Sep 25, 2014
Steam and Apple using different Forex approaches. And it's unlike Apple to pick the one that screws their loyal base in the UK.

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
LOL, yeah I remember trying to play F1 2013, BioShock and Splinter Cell with a controller on the Mac - keyboard only my friend.

F1 2013 for Mac supports dozens of gamepads, including the PS3 and PS4 Dualshock, which natively works on macOS. So you're just wrong.

Reactions: Icaras and JMacHack

H2SO4

macrumors 601
Nov 4, 2008
F1 2013 for Mac supports dozens of gamepads, including the PS3 and PS4 Dualshock, which natively works on macOS. So you're just wrong.
PS3 and PS4 controller support is terrible, even if it works ’natively’. Ignored the others two titles though didn't you. Downloading it through Steam again now to have a look see. Didn’t work here with PS3, PS4 or xBox controllers.

Last edited:

Theophany

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2008
NW London.
LOL, yeah I remember trying to play F1 2013, BioShock and Splinter Cell with a controller on the Mac - keyboard only my friend. It may have the same name but it doesn't guarantee the same game.
So the metal port makes it faster does it, played it or seen benchmarks have you?
Whinerumors should be renamed Pwndrumors.

Steam Controller works great.

Theophany

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2008
NW London.
Found that to be a little buggy myself. Steam link is Ok but needs cable to work well.

I only ever use Steam Link to stream from the Internet to my TV, but the games I've played using the Steam Controller on Mac have worked fine as long as there is a good button map available. When it first came out it was total garbage because so many games didn't have proper button maps.

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
PS3 and PS4 controller support is terrible, even if it works ’natively’. Ignored the others two titles though didn't you. Downloading it through Steam again now to have a look see. Didn’t work here with PS3, PS4 or xBox controllers.

It worked flawlessly for me. I've never had problems playing any Feral game with my Dualshock 3.

Of course I ignored the other two titles, as this thread is about the F1 game. Bioshock is a shooter, so I see absolutely no reason for playing this with a controller instead of keyboard and mouse. Splinter Cell Conviction was ported by Ubisoft, so go blame them.

Feral's Mac ports are the best in the business, so I don't see why you have such a strong and negative opinion.

Reactions: Icaras

H2SO4

macrumors 601
Nov 4, 2008
It worked flawlessly for me. I've never had problems playing any Feral game with my Dualshock 3.

Of course I ignored the other two titles, as this thread is about the F1 game. Bioshock is a shooter, so I see absolutely no reason for playing this with a controller instead of keyboard and mouse. Splinter Cell Conviction was ported by Ubisoft, so go blame them.

Feral's Mac ports are the best in the business, so I don't see why you have such a strong and negative opinion.
No, what I’m saying is wait until its released before you say it’s the ‘same' game. The other two are examples of the same game not being the same regardless of publisher, (remember Bioshock is Feral too).
You get, ‘have such a strong and negative opinion’, from a few posts on a forum?

As for F1 2013. I get the below, even from a fresh install. Changing straight to Alien Isolation works perfectly.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-03 at 14.13.49.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-04-03 at 14.13.49.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-03 at 14.12.12.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-04-03 at 14.12.12.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 49

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
No, what I’m saying is wait until its released before you say it’s the ‘same' game. The other two are examples of the same game not being the same regardless of publisher, (remember Bioshock is Feral too).
You get, ‘have such a strong and negative opinion’, from a few posts on a forum?

As for F1 2013. I get the below, even from a fresh install. Changing straight to Alien Isolation works perfectly.

These ARE the same games. Technical issues, bugs and glitches don't turn them into a 'different' game.
By that logic, GTA 5 on Xbox One wouldn't be the same game as GTA 5 on PS4, because there always some (slight) technical differences between the platforms.

Reactions: Icaras

H2SO4

macrumors 601
Nov 4, 2008
These ARE the same games. Technical issues, bugs and glitches don't turn them into a 'different' game.
By that logic, GTA 5 on Xbox One wouldn't be the same game as GTA 5 on PS4, because there always some (slight) technical differences between the platforms.
I promise you that there are games that have features on one platform that do not exist on another. They are for all intents and purposes not the same game. What I am saying is regardless of which side of the fence you are on and that must surely make some sense is, wait unitl they are released and compared.

Controller, (or even steering wheel if you want to go that far), support on one platform and not the next is a hugely different experience.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Not sure why games are released on macs. They are not gaming machines and aren't up to the task.

PC machines are vastly superior.

adamjackson

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
The recommended system requirements are a 3.3GHz Intel Core i7 processor running macOS 10.12.4, 16GB of RAM and a 4GB AMD R9 395X or better.

It's hard to be a Mac Game Developer. You have to recommend the playable specs but then only someone with a maxed out iMac that costs $3500 can play at recommended specs. There are no sub-$2000 Macs that can play today's games.

H2SO4

macrumors 601
Nov 4, 2008
Not sure why games are released on macs. They are not gaming machines and aren't up to the task.

I wouldn't go that far. If the experience is suitable and comparable, what’s the issue? A PC might run Alien Isolation at 100Hz in Ultra @4K it’s better than my Mac but I’ll still get a great experience at 1080p on my Mac Pro.
It’s up to the task of producing a perfectly playable game at good quality no?

EDIT: Although having said all that, I’ve just looked at the latest MacBook Pro, (I still prefer the name PowerBook), and the Intel Graphics 550 would appear to be waaaaay below the NVidia 680.

Last edited:

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014

It's hard to be a Mac Game Developer. You have to recommend the playable specs but then only someone with a maxed out iMac that costs $3500 can play at recommended specs. There are no sub-$2000 Macs that can play today's games.

Of course Macs are not designed for gaming, but a lot of casual games work on them.

Starcraft II, Diablo III, World of Warcraft, HotS, the Telltale games, Rocket League, Life is Strange, CS:GO, Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider (2013).

These are just some of the games I enjoyed playing on my MBP. Yes, I could get 500$ low-end gaming rig with much better performance, but I need a Mac for work and everything else that I do, all of which is far more important to me than gaming. So I'm glad that there are games that run on macOS.

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
So, the "Metal Magic" doesn't really help.
What specs would this game have needed running OpenGL? I'm not sure the fact that it runs on Metal is actually an improvement for the end-user, rather something Apple is happy about.

Cool that Feral is doing this. Only them and Aspyr create / port games that are on par with PC games.

adamjackson

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
Of course Macs are not designed for gaming, but a lot of casual games work on them.

Starcraft II, Diablo III, World of Warcraft, HotS, the Telltale games, Rocket League, Life is Strange, CS:GO, Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider (2013).

These are just some of the games I enjoyed playing on my MBP. Yes, I could get 500$ low-end gaming rig with much better performance, but I need a Mac for work and everything else that I do, all of which is far more important to me than gaming. So I'm glad that there are games that run on macOS.

You're absolutely right. I play a lot of games on the Mac. they're generally very old games compared to what my Windows using friends are playing. Diablo, Starcraft, Sim City, Civilization. All great games and run on my MacBook Pro and iMac no problem.

Reactions: gim

Janichsan

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2006
So, the "Metal Magic" doesn't really help.
What specs would this game have needed running OpenGL? I'm not sure the fact that it runs on Metal is actually an improvement for the end-user, rather something Apple is happy about.
Considering that the Mac port of F1 2015 was cancelled (Feral only released it for Linux) because of problems with OpenGL, it's save to assume that under OpenGL this game wouldn't run at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: simonmet

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Considering that the Mac port of F1 2015 was cancelled (Feral only released it for Linux) because of problems with OpenGL, it's save to assume that under OpenGL this game wouldn't run at all.

I'd say, it depends. If apple would still keep their frozen and ancient OpenGL version, then yeah, it would be a no-go. On the other hand, if they had followed OpenGL evolution (as they should, at least for a little while), who knows ?

Janichsan

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2006
On the other hand, if they had followed OpenGL evolution (as they should, at least for a little while), who knows ?
And if I had a pink magic pony with wings, I could use that to commute to work every day.

This is moot speculation.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
And if I had a pink magic pony with wings, I could use that to commute to work every day.

This is moot speculation.

How's that ? You assumed this game wouldn't run today, if apple would have kept their ancient opengl version. I just say that if they planned to keep using opengl they'd be forced to update it so the game would probably be able to run under opengl as well.

Or, in other words, I don't think that if they kept using opengl in 2017, it would be in the same pathetic state it was back in 2015.

Janichsan

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2006
How's that ? You assumed this game wouldn't run today, if apple would have kept their ancient opengl version. I just say that if they planned to keep using opengl they'd be forced to update it so the game would probably be able to run under opengl as well.

Or, in other words, I don't think that if they kept using opengl in 2017, it would be in the same pathetic state it was back in 2015.
I don't assume F1 2016 wouldn't run with Apple's OpenGL, I know it wouldn't. Feral couldn't make F1 2015 work under OpenGL, and there's not a even a shred of possibility F1 2016 would miraculously work again.

If Apple had kept their OpenGL implementation updated, it probably would have been possible.

But they didn't.

Thus the speculation is moot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.