Fewer petty forum cage matches, please.

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by thirty7alpha, Feb 8, 2011.

1. thirty7alpha macrumors member

thirty7alpha

I have been obsessively reading posts in this forum for over a month, thrilled at the possibilities of an upcoming MBP refresh. What is most off-putting, however, is the utterly insane amount of end-fighting and nitpicking that goes on here. It's buffoonery, in my opinion.

When I read one of these threads, looking for great info., it gets so unbelievably tiresome when people turn a thread into a playground argument. I don't care who misquoted whom, or whether *gasp* some new user failed to properly use MRoogle. The threads often start off with great questions or new information, and 16 posts later two individuals have decided to engage in a posting "death match" over the most trivial details.

We're all passionate about Apple here. Can't we be a little more civil when discussing this stuff? Please? :(

Well, maybe I'm the only one who sees it this way. If so, flame on! :rolleyes:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Usually it's not that someone didn't use MRoogle... it's that someone clearly made no attempt to solve their own problem first. In my opinion, knowing (or at least getting in the habit of attempting to) how to solve your own problems is a fairly basic skill.

But then again, the more times we answer questions about how Applecare works (1 year included, 3 years max, no accidental damage!), whether or not the Core 2 Duo will be fast enough for facebook (it is), or that your battery isn't "bad" because it reports 97% capacity after only 16 cycles and 1 month (!!! Does this mean after 12 months it will be at 64% ????)... the more likely it is that the one person out of a hundred who actually does try and solve their own problem will be rewarded quickly and efficiently.

edit: btw... this isn't a new idea. Search next time. ;)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=367804
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1025854
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1015348
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=960849
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=938846

3. zenio macrumors 6502

I agree, but we must be realistic, this is a Mac forum where juvenile behavior is the norm in far too many cases. They have nothing else to do but pick fights.

4. Kauai macrumors 6502a

This. When people spend hours talking about products they've already bought, you've got to assume they don't have all that many other urgent issues they must attend to.

"Doctor, quick! We've got a patient going into cardiac arrest!"

"Just one moment, some nOOb forgot to use Mroogle!"

5. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

This statistic is obviously wrong. It's clearly more like one out of two hundred.

I therefore challenge you to a cage fight.

I do agree however. I often find myself doing a 5 second google to check some fact when I'm posting to either help someone else, or challenge someone's stupidity, and I can't help wondering why they couldn't do it, and find the answer in less time than it would have taken them to post in this forum.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Challenge denied on the basis of you not ending that sentence with an exclamation point... you grammatical curmudgeon.

7. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

So far, we've got people being called buffoons, people being slapped at for asking questions that have already been asked at any point in the past, and people being termed juvenile.

This thread is just what we all needed - give peace a chance! :D

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

9. Apple OC, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011

Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

the gloves are off ... last man standing wins :cool:

BTW ... thinking of getting some new Mac stuff ... should I buy now or wait?

10. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I expect you have that post in a macro hot-key linked to F-1. And a bunch more linked to F-2 through F-12.

"I've got a question about my battery..." -> F-1 BAM!
    "When should I buy a new MBP?" -> F-2 BAM!
    "I spilt apple juice on my Apple keyboard!" -> F-3 BAM!!!

etc.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

LOL. No, I'm not that sophisticated. Simple copy and paste from a text document for the most commonly-asked things about batteries, viruses, spills. For the rest, a quick right-click and search with MRoogle, then copy related links and paste. Gotta do what I can to work around CTS.

12. thirty7alpha thread starter macrumors member

thirty7alpha

Enroute to Cougar Point and the Sandy Bridge collapsed & I drowned in the Huron River

Fight's on. Good fun. :D

I think we should just take all current and past posts, but them into MRoogle and no matter what topic is searched, only one result is returned -- every thread from every forum, on every topic. Search MRoogle! It really works.

Seriously though, I understand the irritation of seeing a new thread started when the issue has already been tortured many times over. In light of that, can anyone tell me what Sandy Bridge is? :D

13. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

If off-topic fights start in threads, report them and we'll take care of them. We delete off-topic posts.

Yes, it would be great if everyone searched first. Not everyone does however, and some people don't search well at all (I work in a public library, and am often surprised when patrons tell me they tried to google it but didn't find anything - and then I find it instantly). So have a little patience. Asking why someone didn't search or telling them to search doesn't add anything constructive, and it's not a particularly nice way to greet new members (who are maybe so frazzled about whatever problem brought them here that they're a little frantic and need info served to them at first).

If there's a link that gives clear and specific information directly relevant to the question being asked, it's fine to post it. If the information needed is buried somewhere in a huge site or document you're linking to, it's polite to write a line about where in the site/doc the relevant info is.

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I don't like to nitpick in speculation threads but I rather nitpick than keep seeing that false, misleading crap. Like said above, people should indeed search and back up their statements more often. If someone says something, I assume he can back up his statement.

I don't see off-topic arguing that much but people tend to argue about things like "is the ODD necessary?". That has been beaten to death, too many times. Nobody knows so it's just justifying your statement with imaginary facts.

15. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

A little more civil?! A LITTLE MORE CIVIL?!

Hell no! Me... you... outside... now!

:mad:

Couldn't resist!