ffmpeg help

iohass

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
164
0
Canada
As suggested by someone in the forums, I'm trying to transcode a tv show that I have in mkv format.

i downloaded ffmpeg and used the command ffmpeg -i file.mkv file.m4v

after doing so, i got two errors:

[libvo_aacent @30194B80] Unable to set encoding parameters

Error while opening encoder for output stream #0:1 - maybe incorrect parameters such as _bit_rate, rate, width or height


What am i doing wrong?
 

dffdce

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
59
0
It's probably not able to determine bit rate. You might try adding "-ab 256k -ar 96000" (without the quotes).
 

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
4,367
395
127.0.0.1
Why not ask ask this in a ffmpeg forum or a least a forum that specializes in video encoding? That would make a lot more sense than posting in an iPad forum. You would probably even get a better answer too.


What? Last one I converted took about 30 minutes.
It depends on what hardware you are doing the encoding on.
 

iohass

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
164
0
Canada
I exaggerated with 5 hours, but it definitely takes very, very long.

Reason why I asked here over an ffmpeg forum is because I need to convert specifically to ipad..
 

jayfehr

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2008
61
0
As suggested by someone in the forums, I'm trying to transcode a tv show that I have in mkv format.

i downloaded ffmpeg and used the command ffmpeg -i file.mkv file.m4v

after doing so, i got two errors:

[libvo_aacent @30194B80] Unable to set encoding parameters

Error while opening encoder for output stream #0:1 - maybe incorrect parameters such as _bit_rate, rate, width or height


What am i doing wrong?
Try this:

ffmpeg -i file.mkv -vcodec copy file.m4v

The vcodec copy part tells it to just swap containers, and doesn't actually convert anything.
 

iohass

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
164
0
Canada
Try this:

ffmpeg -i file.mkv -vcodec copy file.m4v

The vcodec copy part tells it to just swap containers, and doesn't actually convert anything.
thanks! this worked for one of the files, but another returned some errors:

Error while opening encoder for output stream #0:1 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height


i'm guessing it wasn't converted properly to begin with, so i'll try some others. this process was definitely faster than using handbrake though.. took maybe 3 minutes!