Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saving107

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
To get back to normal mode after I had resprung with the dB I had to reset all settings, bit of a pain in the backside to put things back but got rid of the dB

Yup, reset all settings. That was the only way that I could bring the bars back.

strosz

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2010
To get back to normal mode after I had resprung with the dB I had to reset all settings, bit of a pain in the backside to put things back but got rid of the dB

Thanks, when I reset all settings the bars returned. It sure is a pain to redo all settings for such a simple thing. It would be nice if Apple made it switchable in the field test screen.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
I just upgraded to 4.1 this afternoon and decided to do the Field test. At home were I have barely 3 bars I got between -102 and -94, without moving an inch. I did the death grip on the phone and it went to -111 then came back to -109.

Now I believe that this is measuring in decibels and if I remember my Navy Radar Antenna electronics correctly for every 3 DB rise your power doubles. Is this correct on cell phones also?

This would mean that my signal doubled from -111 to -109.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Is there a way to get the -db to stay instead of the bars? Once I exit field test mode the -db stays for a second then switches back to bars, but I would like to keep the -db. Thanks in advance.

^My question?

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
I just answered this question on another thread about 2 hours ago

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1016797/
Thanks.

1. Go into Test Field Mode
2. Press and Hold the Sleep/Wake button until you get the 'Slide to Power Off' (then let go)
3. Press and Hold the Home Button for about 5-10 seconds (this will re-spring your springboard)
4. Now tap the bars and it will be replaced with the -db, tap again to bring back the bars. (Warning: the only way to get rid of this method is to 'Reset All Settings")

Juicy D. Links

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
The bars/numbers indicate signal strength. The closer it is to -50, the better the signal strength.

will having my phone in field test mode and the db showing void any warranty? Like if i have a issue and bring to genius bar and they see this wil they be like VOID!!!!!! :eek:

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Juicy D. Links said:
The bars/numbers indicate signal strength. The closer it is to -50, the better the signal strength.

will having my phone in field test mode and the db showing void any warranty? Like if i have a issue and bring to genius bar and they see this wil they be like VOID!!!!!! :eek:

No, this will not void the warranty at all, so don't worry about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.