Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Perhaps the existence of some productivity apps (most with limited functionality) such as Pages, Numbers, Documents To Go, etc. has led folks to expect the iPad to be a fully functional computer. I don't think Apple shares that view. If they did, they would have used OSX rather than iOS as an operating system.

Giving it a file system would still not make the iPad a fully functioning computer. Due to the limited power source and great battery life iOS was an excellent choice for the iPad. It just needs a way to store user docs to make it a more complete and independent piece of hardware. This IS the problem as Apple wants it shackled to iTunes!:eek:

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Perhaps my comments have been misinterpreted. It wasn't my intention to "excuse" Apple's approach. I was simply stating what I believe is their rationale. As noted earlier, I wouldn't even try to use an iPad or iPhone for mission critical and comprehensive file management. And frankly, I don't think Apple expects me to do so.

Perhaps the existence of some productivity apps (most with limited functionality) such as Pages, Numbers, Documents To Go, etc. has led folks to expect the iPad to be a fully functional computer. I don't think Apple shares that view. If they did, they would have used OSX rather than iOS as an operating system.

The iPad is a "post-PC device" - I believe that Apple fully expects tablets to completely replace laptops as we know them today in the long run. As such, they'll have to solve the file access problem in one way or other.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
The iPad is a "post-PC device" - I believe that Apple fully expects tablets to completely replace laptops as we know them today in the long run. As such, they'll have to solve the file access problem in one way or other.

Personally I believe that all we really need is a central documents folder. Which any application can load from and save to. With required user confirmation so as to prevent a rogue app from tampering with your files.

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Personally I believe that all we really need is a central documents folder. Which any application can load from and save to. With required user confirmation so as to prevent a rogue app from tampering with your files.

There were indications that such a folder functionality existed in the betas of iOS 2 or 3, I forget which. Anyway, Apple apparently did try this idea at one point, but nobody knows why they didn't actually implement it in the final public release of iOS.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
There were indications that such a folder functionality existed in the betas of iOS 2 or 3, I forget which. Anyway, Apple apparently did try this idea at one point, but nobody knows why they didn't actually implement it in the final public release of iOS.

I hope they did not think anyone would use it!!!:p

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK

That would be a start, but you'll soon have a central file vault which is a huge mess, requiring the need for folders.

It was the same with apps in the beginning, pages after pages after pages of apps - then finally they implemented folders.

Then, as soon as you have folders, you're back at square one as you then have a file system, which is exactly what they're trying to avoid for whatever reason! :D

So unless they come up with a new clever way to do it, I think they'll find that a folder structure in a file vault is necessary. Then again this is Apple and they might just wow us with a new innovative way to solve this problem that nobody else has thought of. :)

5aga

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2003
Gig City
I haven't used the Documents feature yet, but doesn't iCloud accomplish the same thing as dropbox?

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Welcome to the world of Apple.

You are not allowed to set up folders to keep documents in. One of the MOST HATED thngs about my iPhone and iPad. 64gb of space for nothing!:mad:

Apple allows to to kepp music and pictures via iTunes but the files are worked over and you do not have the original image file to work with.

Drop box is the best. look at http://www.dropbox.com and they will explain all.

iFiles
Zen Viewer
Readdle Docs
GoodReader

Lots of file managers out there.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
iFiles
Zen Viewer
Readdle Docs
GoodReader

As andiwm said none of them do what u want them to do. They are all file managers with their own convoluted way of storing things. Basically each app has its own storage and its own way of uploading files to it. So end result is u end up with bigger mess than you had before :)

but none of them allows access to all files from all apps (or via USB) on non jailbroken devices.
Yes
I haven't used the Documents feature yet, but doesn't iCloud accomplish the same thing as dropbox?

Not even close

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
iFiles
Zen Viewer
Readdle Docs
GoodReader

These are crap! Nothing but work arounds.

I and many others want REAL FILE MANAGEMENT where we can make and name folders and store our documents.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
These are crap! Nothing but work arounds.

I and many others want REAL FILE MANAGEMENT where we can make and name folders and store our documents.

If your that passionate about it then Jailbreak and use iFile or get an Android device. I can't understand how you refuse to jailbreak when no file management obviously makes you angry.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
It really isn't necessary.

If your that passionate about it then Jailbreak and use iFile or get an Android device. I can't understand how you refuse to jailbreak when no file management obviously makes you angry.

You're both missing the point.

As soon as you want to edit the same file in more than 1 application consecutively, you can't do it unless you are using an external service provider such as dropbox.

Jailbreaking is one way to do this, but it shouldn't be the only way to do it.

I can't stand this "don't like Apple's implementation? switch to Android then!" attitude. Apple is a great company, but it doesn't mean that everything they do is perfect or that there is no room for improvement. Without discussing these things and providing Apple with feedback and feature requests, we still wouldn't have copy and paste, MMS, tethering and multitasking in iOS!

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
You're both missing the point.

As soon as you want to edit the same file in more than 1 application consecutively, you can't do it unless you are using an external service provider such as dropbox.

Jailbreaking is one way to do this, but it shouldn't be the only way to do it.

I can't stand this "don't like Apple's implementation? switch to Android then!" attitude. Apple is a great company, but it doesn't mean that everything they do is perfect or that there is no room for improvement. Without discussing these things and providing Apple with feedback and feature requests, we still wouldn't have copy and paste, MMS, tethering and multitasking in iOS!

Not saying Apple's way is perfect, but they have their reasons for what they do.

Why complain over and over about something you already knew about before you bought the device and over something you know Apple will do nothing about until they are good and ready?

Those examples you given weren't given exactly when users complained about it, Apple added those features on it's own timeline.

Feedback is feedback, but complaining like a certain missing feature hinders your whole user experience ..... What the hell you expect others to say? If there is a missing feature you can't live without, Jailbreak or move to another Tablet. That's most would do.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010

I USE Android's SG2 and tablet and a iPhone 4S and iPad 2 3G. I do not wish to jail break my devices and I will remain "angry and passionate".:eek:

Your comments make as much sense as me saying if you do not like what I write, why don't YOU leave this thread.:(

I am not one to accept Apple for what they are and do not think they are sacred and can not take critique!:rolleyes:

You seem to accept Apple for what they are because they were that way when you bought your device! LOL! So but I do NOT!

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I USE Android's SG2 and tablet and a iPhone 4S and iPad 2 3G. I do not wish to jail break my devices and I will remain "angry and passionate".:eek:

Your comments make as much sense as me saying if you do not like what I write, why don't YOU leave this thread.:(

I am not one to accept Apple for what they are and do not think they are sacred and can not take critique!:rolleyes:

You seem to accept Apple for what they are because they were that way when you bought your device! LOL! So but I do NOT!

Well if you want to spend your own money on a device that you don't accept nor willing to jailbreak, that's your own doing. You only have yourself to be angry at being that you could have easily purchased a device that meets all of your needs.

Of course I accept Apple's decisions. Do I agree with all of them? NO!!! But if I didn't accept it, my money would go elsewhere. Jailbroken or Not, iDevices do it's job for me. Any restrictions from a non jailbroken device I can live with but I will and do jailbreak when I can. If there's any restriction I can't live with from a stock device, I will simply go elsewhere instead of raising my blood pressure being angry. And when it comes to feedback, actions speak louder than complaints.

You might not understand Apple's decisions the same as most can't understand why you just won't jailbreak.

blipmusic

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
Personally I believe that all we really need is a central documents folder. Which any application can load from and save to. [...]

Oh my. Yes, please. Have that folder mount as a generic USB-drive on any computer as well and I'd go iPad only.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Not saying Apple's way is perfect, but they have their reasons for what they do.

Why complain over and over about something you already knew about before you bought the device and over something you know Apple will do nothing about until they are good and ready?

I'm not complaining. I love my iPad, iPhone and MacBook Pro. That shouldn't stop me (or anybody else) from requesting features that are necessary, especially if they're serious about this whole Post-PC business.

Those examples you given weren't given exactly when users complained about it, Apple added those features on it's own timeline.

How do you know this? If they already know it all, why do they have the option "Feature request" on the feedback site for every one of their products?

Feedback is feedback, but complaining like a certain missing feature hinders your whole user experience ..... What the hell you expect others to say? If there is a missing feature you can't live without, Jailbreak or move to another Tablet. That's most would do.

How is requesting features, discussing shortcomings and possible solutions hindering user experience? I expect a balanced discussion between the two sides, not that childish "don't like it, why don't you just leave" attitude. It doesn't solve the problem nor does it add anything to the discussion.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I'm not complaining. I love my iPad, iPhone and MacBook Pro. That shouldn't stop me (or anybody else) from requesting features that are necessary, especially if they're serious about this whole Post-PC business.

Well I was referring to you. You replied to a statement that was towards another.

How do you know this? If they already know it all, why do they have the option "Feature request" on the feedback site for every one of their products?

Users have been requesting things since forever. Why hasn't Apple just given all? It's obvious that they are releasing features on their own timeline.

How is requesting features, discussing shortcomings and possible solutions hindering user experience? I expect a balanced discussion between the two sides, not that childish "don't like it, why don't you just leave" attitude. It doesn't solve the problem nor does it add anything to the discussion.

What? I never mentioned that any type of feedback hinders user experience. PLEASE READ AGAIN.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
I'm another one who agrees with the comments on Apple's approach (or lack thereof) to file storage. If Steve Jobs' prediction of a computer demise is to be taken seriously, there HAS to be a way to organize files in a user-friendly manner. This has been an essential basis for computer development all along and exists in almosts every other device outside the Apple empire.

I love my iPad2 and would willingly dump my desktop and laptop to use just the iPad2, coordinated with my iPhone - a blockbuster combo. It's so convenient and capable, and I've given it serious consideration. But it's an impossibility for someone who needs a total-use computer for the workplace. The absence of any functional method to organize files by client (or any other category) is fatal. While Dropbox is a workaround, it's extra steps that shouldn't be inflicted on people use to creating their own organization independent of web clouds.

The file system is only part of the problem. Other aspects include no USB or eternal drive interaction. You can't label photos - for graphics work, an impossible situation. You can't access websites that use flash. And on and on. Apple builds in severe limitations to professional, flexible use of the iPad.

I TOTALLY agree there needs to be some re-thinking of what role the iPad is to play in daily life. Are they aiming at the casual user only? Or force use of job-specific apps? If so, they are wildly successful.

But if it's the stated broader goal, a paradigm shift is needed. IMO, the public has become increasingly tech savvy, and will continue to grow in this arena - not go backwards, accept limitations once common in the early days of computers, and ignore the fact other devices are very capable.

Users can't be expected to muzzle their capabilitites and MUST have flexibility in their devices.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
IMO, the public has become increasingly tech savvy, and will continue to grow in this arena - not go backwards, accept limitations once common in the early days of computers, and ignore the fact other devices are very capable.

Users can't be expected to muzzle their capabilitites and MUST have flexibility in their devices.

Don't overestimate the tech savvy of the average consumer. My previous job was going to homes and fixing their computers and networks and to troubleshoot networks for small and large businesses. Most were clueless, even IT guys at some businesses were clueless. They just knew the bare minimal, and regular folks seem only as smart as the last tech article they read.

Also, have you been to a Apple store and just listened to the customers as they complain? Why do you think stores like Bestbuy get over on so many?

I think the public has become much more aware about technology and the basics have become more common knowledge. But tech savvy as in actually having more than one clue? Hell no, most are just dummies in disguise.

Just had to rant on that one ....:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.