Files over 4GB...

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by nickd06, Jul 12, 2007.

1. nickd06 macrumors member

In itunes (or AP, or Lostify) i can't change the metadata, it eiher crashes AP or Lostify and when I try in iTunes it just doesnt take it.

I have heard that it is a problem with quicktime and iTunes not being able to deal with files over 4GB.

I know that there has been a recent update with both programs so has this fixed the problem?

Anyone know of a fix for it?

2. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Not sure what you are trying to do, but a 32-bit operating system (OS X 10.4 etc.) can't really create files over 4GB is size. There are tricks, of course, but most programs will balk. What are you trying to do exactly? You don't have a 4GB audio file do you?!?!

3. Sir Hobos macrumors newbie

I believe that it is a maximum data size set-up for the FAT32 file system, if your willing to reformat into NTFS then you may not find this problem. But then again I have never tried to make a file over 4GB(I assume it is a video) so I can't be certain. Good Luck.

4. lordjonny macrumors regular

lordjonny

is it not an option to split the file using ffmpegx or such?

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Incorrect. That's not how the HFS+ file system operates.
    Mac OS X: Mac OS Extended Format volume and file limits
    HFS Plus from Wikipedia

edit: Tiger does have full support for a 64-bit address space. It also has a limited 64-bit API (file and network i/o, math)

op - the file problem might be an issue with the method of encoding (frame size, rate, bit rate)