FileVault question. FFilevault can be bypassed? Security risk?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by applelover4u, May 11, 2017.

1. applelover4u macrumors 6502

So using Filevault I created a key etc

Now my question is it doesnt ask for the key when i log in or restart my computer , it just as for the user account password to log in. Is that how it is suppose to work?

Also say i restarted my mac into recovery, it gives me a option to reset the user name password basically.

Now is it safe to say that anybody whether or not I have filevault turn on can access my mac by going into recovery and resetting the user name password?

update:Somehow I must have turn off Filevault when i checked now but either way is the above still true?

Also is there a way to request a key or password before the mac boot?

2. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

As far as I can tell you have to unlock the drive before you can change a local user account password. I just restarted in recovery mode and didn't see a way to change a user account password.

3. applelover4u thread starter macrumors 6502

When I went to recovery few months ago it said something like forgot user name password then gave a option to change it
    --- Post Merged, May 11, 2017 ---
    http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/what-do-if-forgotten-mac-password-3594395/

4. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Yeah it appears to be missing for me. I have FileVault turned on.

5. applelover4u thread starter macrumors 6502

6. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

That article that you linked answers your question, and explains it pretty nicely.

If you have Filevault turned on, then the only way to change your password is from Recovery mode, after unlocking the drive in Disk Utility. The app won't work until you unlock the drive.
    If Filevault is turned OFF, then you can change your password in the normal way without needing to unlock the drive (because, well, it's not locked, eh?)
    If you want to have the extra security of File Vault, then that means that File Vault needs to be ON.
    Not much point if you set up to use it, yet leave File Vault turned off.