Film scanners

steveash

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
UK
I have a lot of old medium format film positive transparencies and 35mm slides that I would like to digitise. I started the job years ago on a Canon scanner but Canon stopped supporting it with driver updates with new versions of OSX rendering it electronic waste.

I'm probably looking for a film compatible flatbed as some of my trannys are glass mounted and may not fit in a dedicated film scanner. Ideally not Canon for the above reason. Quality needs to be reasonable although this is only for personal use. Any sort of software/hardware automation would be most welcome as I have quite a few to get through. Does anyone have any recommendations?

someoldguy

macrumors 68000
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Thumbs up for Vuescan , I used it to resurrect my old Nikon Coolscan V . Worked fine . It's worth seeing if it supports your old Canon . IIRC there's a trial version .

tizeye

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
I use an Epson V550 (may be a more recent model as a couple years old). Had a lesser model (V330???) for years but only scanned 35mm and the 550 was the first model that did both. Scanned all my parent's slides and older 120 film. I will say that over the years, firmware updated have been rare as scanner technology is essentially unchanged so the interface remains clunky as ever. You may first want to check Canon's site (Support, Downloads) to see if there is a newer firmware. As I recall, the earlier scanner that I replaced, while it worked fine on Win 7, some of the buttons didn't respond in Win 10. Never tried the Apple drivers on my MBP as scanner set up to the desktop. Needing the 120 capability ultimately led to the upgrade plus when I looked at aveing them digitized commercially, had enough quantity that basically paid for the scanner.

steveash

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
UK
Try vuescan. This software supports a lot of scanners. Nice workflow too. see: https://hamrick.com
Thumbs up for Vuescan , I used it to resurrect my old Nikon Coolscan V . Worked fine . It's worth seeing if it supports your old Canon . IIRC there's a trial version .
Sadly after about a year of the bricked Canon sitting on my desk I got rid of it. I hadn't heard of Vuescan until now.

Looks like one of the Epson's is the way to go. Its a bit worrying that they are all USB2 but as @tizeye says scanner tech seems to have ground to a halt and the small market doesn't justify new product development very often. Here's hoping that it doesn't soon become as useless as the SCSI Nikon Coolscan I have sitting in a box!

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
... Its a bit worrying that they are all USB2 but ...
There would be little or no advantage to USB3.x as the data the scanning mechinism produces doesn't challenge USB2. The total data size is large, but it streams from the scanner as acquired and is only stored as a large data clump in the host computer. Scanning time wouldn't be any shorter if a USB3.x interface was used. The speed is limited by the scanning mechinism and not the data transfer.