Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
First and foremost, the Finder. The new iApp layout, Quick Look and Coverflow, screen sharing and simplified networking are the very reason upgrading to Leopard is a must for me.

Second is Stacks, which I can see myself using a lot. I also welcome the unified interface, but I'm afraid it will destroy the look of certain apps that were designed for brushed metal (Quicktime, MS Messenger). I love the new Dock, too. Icons that are served on a glass plate, looks pretty slick :)

Third is Mail, which I use a lot. RSS feeds are very nice, and I can see myself showing off the stationaries to my friends and family too ;)

One thing I don't give anything about is iChat. Europe just relies too heavily on MSN, and there aren't any Mac users in my circle of friends, so it's a waste of space for me.

MaliciousDesign

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Anchorage, AK
First and foremost, the Finder. The new iApp layout, Quick Look and Coverflow, screen sharing and simplified networking are the very reason upgrading to Leopard is a must for me.

Second is Stacks, which I can see myself using a lot. I also welcome the unified interface, but I'm afraid it will destroy the look of certain apps that were designed for brushed metal (Quicktime, MS Messenger). I love the new Dock, too. Icons that are served on a glass plate, looks pretty slick :)

Third is Mail, which I use a lot. RSS feeds are very nice, and I can see myself showing off the stationaries to my friends and family too ;)

One thing I don't give anything about is iChat. Europe just relies too heavily on MSN, and there aren't any Mac users in my circle of friends, so it's a waste of space for me.

This is slightly off topic, but how don't understand the concept behind RSS feeds. Is there a way, for example, to have all the headlines of a specific newspaper to directly show on your desktop or e-mail? What is the specific function for an RSS feed?

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Star Wars hologram? Explain!

In the WWDC build of Leopard, there was a Star Wars-like hologram effect in iChat (see picture). According to Brian Croll, marketing director for Mac OS X, the effect has been removed.

Maybe it will return with a future update.

Gizmodo: Does iChat still have the Star Wars hologram effect?

Croll: We've added a whole lot of different effects. I am not sure if the hologram one is in there. We included the most effective ones, the ones that work the best. I think [the hologram effect] is not in there.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple/apple-answers-leopard-questions-311345.php

Attachments

• holograph.jpg
    holograph.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 38

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
spaces stacks and the new mail/ical seamless to do calendar event features have me far more excited about an OS than I should be :) lol

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Where is "Resolution Independence" ??? It's not mentioned as one of Leopard's 300 new features on the website.

I wonder if they are going to add any additional features throughout its lifecycle, or just tighten up existing ones. It'd be nice to get a couple bones here and there. I wonder if there are any of the "secret" features his Steveness talked about at MacWorld (and a few other times) that we will be surprised with come next Friday. :eek:

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
-Quick Look
-All the new features in Preview 4.0
-I'm surprised no one mentioned Core Animation yet!
-New UI refinements

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Where is "Resolution Independence" ??? It's not mentioned as one of Leopard's 300 new features on the website.

I wonder if they are going to add any additional features throughout its lifecycle, or just tighten up existing ones. It'd be nice to get a couple bones here and there. I wonder if there are any of the "secret" features his Steveness talked about at MacWorld (and a few other times) that we will be surprised with come next Friday. :eek:

You know better than that. No new features until the next update. It'd be nice if Safari improvements in particular were not tied to the OS.

gusapple

macrumors 6502a
I have a few concerns, I hope that they will be answered. But the features that I am looking forward to most?....:rolleyes:
Well, First of all, I cannot wait for grammar check (because I already use spell check and love how it works).
Secondly, I love the new Finder interface.
Third, a feature that was toned down due to people putting it down, Time Machine, is something I am looking forward to. (I already had a hard drive, and need something to back everything up with)
Fourth, I can't wait for a Safari that doesn't crash every time I try to watch a Flash video. (GRRR:mad:)
Fifth, I cannot wait for an improved Front Row. (C'mon, pre :apple:TV is so 2005!)
Sixth, I cannot wait for a new Photo-Booth with cool new backgrounds and animated GIF support.
Seventh includes features that I think are cool, but include .Mac, so I would never be able to use them (I'm not made of money!) First one is Back to My Mac, second is iChat (I will sign up for an AIM account to use that), and third is Mail.
These are just a few things that I see as being WAY awesome, and I am looking forward to my copy of Leopard showing up sometime (hopefully) on Friday!:)

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
new desktop,
spaces,
new wifi menu and
objective-c with garbage collection.

(Emphasis mine)

Can't believe this didn't come up yet :p. For me:

Xcode 3, Interface Builder 2, and the new/updated frameworks.

Just a few more days...

Last edited by a moderator:

ASTRX

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2007
Girls/women do. My girlfriend was directly excited when she saw the capability in the Guided Tour. :)

Showed my mother some of the new features of Leopard.
Time Machine, Finder, Quicklook and so on....no reaction...Mail stationary......"AAAAAAWWW thats nice!" :)

Skystar

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Can't wait until Friday!

Looking forward to:

Spaces - Sometimes I just have way to many windows open

iChat - It's hard trying to explain how to do something over the phone, now you can do it face to face, as if you were there. The backdrops/effects should be fun at times.

Finder Coverflow - Should cut some time looking through documents, no more using thumbnails.

Still curious about Time Machine, since I have a MacBook. Does anyone plan on using Time Machine on their portable? If so, how are you going to implement it (new partition?). I will definately get a dedicated external drive for the iMac I plan on purchasing in December.

ASTRX

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2007
Can't wait until Friday!

Looking forward to:

Spaces - Sometimes I just have way to many windows open

iChat - It's hard trying to explain how to do something over the phone, now you can do it face to face, as if you were there. The backdrops/effects should be fun at times.

Finder Coverflow - Should cut some time looking through documents, no more using thumbnails.

Still curious about Time Machine, since I have a MacBook. Does anyone plan on using Time Machine on their portable? If so, how are you going to implement it (new partition?). I will definately get a dedicated external drive for the iMac I plan on purchasing in December.

I'll probably dedicate a ~100GB HFS partition on my external USB2.0 drive, which is always connected to my macbook. my system disk is 80GB, and I dont need infinite backup history, so 100GB should be enough.
feels like quite a lot to dedicate amost half of my external 250GB drive for time machine, but I believe a proper backup solution i worth it.

Favourite features would probably be all mentioned above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.