Final Cut Pro X: Buy or Hold Off?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jb32, Oct 4, 2016.

  1. jb32 macrumors newbie

    Oct 4, 2016
    Thinking about purchasing FCP from the app store for $299, but I noticed how this version has been out for a while now.

    A little hesitant to buy, as a new one may be just around the corner and need to shell out money again. Have there been any plans on a newer version that others have heard of?

    In case I do purchase and a new one does come about, should I expect to be able to download the newer version for free, get the newer version at a discount (as I'd be upgrading from the previous version), or paying full price?

    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
  2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3


    Nov 23, 2011
    If they release a new version (FCP 11), Apple historically haven't offered any upgrade pricing or discounts.

    What I can advise is that there haven't been any rumours on the horizon about a new version. Apple are a far cry from Avid and Nuance, where they'll release new versions every year and not patch the older ones, so you're forced into buying the new one.

    Apple make their money from the hardware. If you're running an Apple creative app, you're doing it on a Mac. So there's less of a need to upsell.
  3. campyguy macrumors 68040

    Mar 21, 2014
    Portland / Seattle
    +1 on what keysofanxiety wrote.

    My add: do what I did related to the purchase - if you can, buy discounted iTS/MAS gift cards. I buy iTS gift cards only when they're selling for a 20-25% discount from Staples, Target, or one of two eBay resellers; there are a few offers right now for a 15% discount, but I still have a big balance left and 15% isn't enough for me when I know that I can hold out a bit longer. I did buy FCPX and Motion with a discounted group of gift cards - basically, I bought those two apps and it was like Apple paying me about $40 to buy Motion. There's my 2¢ worth of input...

Share This Page