Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Final Cut Pro X Updated With Remote Workflow Improvements, New Social Media Editing Tools, and More

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that it is updating its video editing software Final Cut Pro X to version 10.4.9 with several new features designed to enhance remote workflows and speed up editing for social media content creators.

With more people working from home, Final Cut Pro X has received improvements to proxy workflows that make libraries more portable and streamline remote work with large, high-resolution files, according to Apple. Users can also now create proxies in either ProRes Proxy or H.264 in dimensions as small as 12.5 percent of the original.

New social media tools automate video cropping in square, vertical, and other custom sizes for popular social media platforms like Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter. A new "Transform Overscan" feature reveals media outside the crop boundary when adjusting scale, rotation, and position, which allows storytellers to easily reposition the crop.

Final Cut Pro 10.4.9 will be available today as a free update for existing users, and remains $299.99 for new users on the Mac App Store.

Final Cut Pro's companion apps Motion and Compressor are also being updated today.

In the new version of Motion, Apple says creators can import third-party 3D models or choose from a built-in library of 3D models in the USDZ format for use in titles, generators, effects, and transitions. Motion is also receiving a new Stroke Filter, a tool that automatically outlines an object or text element using its alpha channel.

Compressor is gaining support for custom LUT effects, the ability to use Camera LUTs to convert log-encoded footage to SDR or HDR outputs, and other workflow enhancements.

Apple's free iMovie app for Mac also received a minor update today:
• Add a hand drawn look to your movies with 5 new filters: Comic, Comic Mono, Comic Vintage, Comic Sepia and Ink
• Import iMovie for iOS projects with support for Comic, Comic Mono and Ink filters
• Improves overall stability
Final Cut Pro 10.4.9 release notes:
Improved proxy workflows
• Generate proxy media in custom frame sizes of 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, or full resolution
• Choose to create proxy media in either ProRes Proxy or H.264
• Choose to display original or optimized media if proxy media is not available for some clips in your project
• Create a proxy-only copy of a library to reduce size for portability or performance
Social media tools
• Automatically transform projects for square or vertical delivery with Smart Conform
• Display media outside the Viewer boundary when adjusting scale, rotation, and position using Transform Overscan
• Add a Custom Overlay as an on-screen guide when placing text and graphics within a square or vertical frame
• Use the new Duplicate Project As command in combination with Smart Conform to quickly create a social media version of your existing project
Other new features
• Adjust ProRes RAW camera settings such as ISO, color temperature, and exposure offset using new controls in the inspector
• Crossfade audio on adjacent clips in one step using a menu command or keyboard shortcut
• Use Close Project command in a new drop-down menu above the timeline to clear project history
• Sort clips and projects by last modified date in list view
• Preview 360-degree stereoscopic 3D video in simultaneous left and right eye views with the 360° Viewer
• Easily stabilize 360-degree video with one-click tools in the inspector

Article Link: Final Cut Pro X Updated With Remote Workflow Improvements, New Social Media Editing Tools, and More

Last edited:

warp9

Contributor
Jun 8, 2017
I think the term "social media" needs to go away since nearly all media is social. It's like the term "multimedia" from the 90s that was used to describe anything that moved or was interactive. Just include popular site formats into the export settings and be done with it.

• Love
Reactions: Huck and mburkhard
Comment

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
London, UK
Right. I prefer the opinion of this website rather than some random bit of hate.
Notice how all those movies came out years ago, back when professionals *did* use FCP. I can assure you they don't now. The Mac Pro has been a total flop in video production circles from what I've heard, or simplified, "too little, too late, for way too much money".

One would argue more content is being made for social media rather than traditional post.
Indeed. Whatever I may personally think of Apple's direction there's no denying that they're clearly targeting the majority of their actual users here.

Comment

ignatius345

macrumors 68040
Aug 20, 2015
I can't speak to industry editing needs, but FCP is quite powerful and does a lot -- and that $300 purchase price has bought many years of updates. How much would one have spent on Creative Cloud over the past five years? If you need Premiere, you need it, but if you just want to edit video I'm sure you could do a lot worse than FCP.

Comment

ian87w

macrumors 68000
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Why would you want to use H.264 for proxy media? Weren't its performance issues one of the reasons you'd adopt proxy media?
I'm guessing with the acceleration of the T2 chip, Apple might deem that the performance penalty is small enough for H.264, while it's still significant if you use H.265?

It's definitely a preview on what's coming on Apple Silicon Macs.

Reactions: RPATX33
Comment

e1me5

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
Cyprus
Why would you want to use H.264 for proxy media? Weren't its performance issues one of the reasons you'd adopt proxy media?
File size. And most macs now have a coprocessor tha handle this kind of files without a performance penalty.

Comment

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
The amount of value I've received from my one-time purchase of FCP X years ago is pretty incredible (and I bought it basically 20% off using discounted iTunes gift cards). Obviously, Apple makes FCP X and Logic inexpensive one-time purchases to make the Mac platform more attractive, and it does add value to macOS.

Don't really care what the "pros" use, I would look at other options before I ever consider Adobe software for anything.

Comment

tRYSIS3

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2011
Notice how all those movies came out years ago, back when professionals *did* use FCP. I can assure you they don't now. The Mac Pro has been a total flop in video production circles from what I've heard, or simplified, "too little, too late, for way too much money".
Last year's best picture winner was edited on FCP, but whatever you say though

Comment

Pow!

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
Toronto
Is it still working on Mojave or does it require Crapalina?

I’m usually running 10.4.3 (10.4.6?) on High Sierra but have a Mojave external SSD boot drive for any project sharing

Comment

Grohowiak

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2012
I can't speak to industry editing needs, but FCP is quite powerful and does a lot -- and that $300 purchase price has bought many years of updates. How much would one have spent on Creative Cloud over the past five years? If you need Premiere, you need it, but if you just want to edit video I'm sure you could do a lot worse than FCP.

$300 as an argument as to why this software is supposedly worth more doesn't really stand.
I mean most people are fine with iMovie. Fact.

Any reasonable managed business that makes money eats the yearly $599 like it didn't even happen because it is literally a no issue. Add photoshop, ilustrator, indesign and tons more into this bucket and all of a sudden that doesn't look like much. Hell, quite cheap really that's if you actually use it to make money not memes.
On top of that you have access to a PC environment which is very scalable and can be managed / upgraded with a flick of a finger quite often for cheap.

I'm sure FCPX is still used in studios but nothing like it used to.
The problem is not even software itself but slow updates to the mac line.
Who would want to be stuck with a system that can't be updated with faster components in a environment where literally time = money.

• Disagree
Reactions: ignatius345
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.